Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first egg-at Eggtoberfest?

Options
Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After weeks of lurking, I've signed up and am dipping a toe into the forum here with my first post (be gentle everyone, this is my first time!).

I'm an experienced home indoor cook and gasser (why is it that those "lifetime" gas grills don't last? are they referring to the "lifetime" of a small animal?) and am looking forward to acquiring my first BGE. Although I'm usually cooking for just two, I am leaning toward getting the large egg for flexibility and wide choice of accessories, although y'all might talk me down to a medium. Here's my question:

Local dealers around my hometown are asking around $750 for a large egg. More or less mandatory startup accessories (a nest, mates, platesetter, gripper, etc.) would add another $150-200, plus the guv's 7%. The closest dealer is offering $50 of accessories free if I order before Labor Day. I should note that the closest dealer seems friendly enough but nowhere near as well-informed as the Eggers here on the forum.

I'd like to attend Eggtoberfest for the experience, the education, and heck, the food! Plus, the savings if I wait and buy my first Egg then are enough that they'd pay for the trip, including hotel and travel. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of waiting to buy at Eggtoberfest?

Reasons to buy immediately, and not wait for Eggtoberfest:
(1) Get started cooking right away! :cheer:
(2) Provide stronger support for the local dealer.
(3) Avoid problem of transporting the Egg back to Charleston

On the transportation question, I'm driving 5 hours back home from Atlanta. Can I take the Large BGE's top off to fit it more easily into my smallish sedan?

Many thanks to all, and I look forward to meeting you in October!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    this is easy. .. eggtoberfest is only 7 short weeks away. .. along with the great price on the egg, you'll be able to go into the store and buy all kinds of great accessories (and i think they usually discount them during eggtoberfest weekend as well). . . best part is, you'll be able to learn all kinds of great tips and get educated from not just a few but hundreds of experienced eggers . . and its the best party of the year. . . it just doesn't get any better than this ...

oh yeah. ..and go with the large egg, you won't be sorry ...

there, done. ...now wasn't that easy!! :lol:
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Like Mad Max said, go with the large you will not be sorry. Second if you can make it to the Eggtoberfest you can pick up the same egg as a demo.

At the end of EGGtoberfest, EGG demo packages are available for purchase by registered EGGtoberfest attendees. These demo EGGs have been used only at EGGtoberfest, and each package will include:

•Big Green Egg (which includes an external temperature gauge, dual function metal top, stainless steel mesh draft door, DVD, and manual)
    •EGG Nest (Chiminea Stand for Mini)
    •Grill Gripper
    •Box of Fire Starters
    •Ash Tool
    •20# bag of Lump Charcoal
    Demo EGG packages must be pre-ordered when you register. Only one EGG package per registered guest may be purchased.

Prices (including tax) are as follows:

XL $899.95 Large $599.95 Medium $489.95 Small $379.95 Mini
    $269.95
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    From my personal experience this is the way to go. I bought my LBGE at last years event without ever eating or cooking on one before. :woohoo: Needless to say there are no regrets and I got a great price on top of it all.
    Hold out the next 7 weeks and you will be handsomely rewarded for your patience. In fact, I'm buying a small at this year's event to compliment my Large! :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The point of supporting your local dealer is a valid one, however its not enough to outweigh the benefits of the Eggtoberfest option. Think of all the wonderful ideas and recipes you will gain. Stroke your dealer by purchasing an accessory or two so we will be lathered up and ready if/when you really need him.
    Yes you can disassemble to get in your sedan.
    My two cents.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    The others have pretty much answered your questions and being as I have not been to a fest I can't help.

I can say "Welcome" you're in for a lot of fun. A small learning curve but come here for help, if not too sure ask before you cook. :whistle:

Now, keep posting and learn to post pictures of your cooks, good or bad, that's how we all help each other.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    I was also wondering the same thing, to buy now or wait for the eggfest. The eggfest for the Seattle area is just two weeks away (Sept 6). It seems to be sponsored by several local dealers so the demo eggs are going for $715. I contacted a dealer close to where I live and got a discount on a new egg that made it worthwhile to get now. By the time I build a table our local eggfest will happen and hopefully will have a good first cook. The only problem is which recipe to try first.

Jeff
    Camano Island, WA
  • Q-rious Tom
    Options
    Define "smallish sedan".

I had a large loaded into the back of my Honda CRV and drove home with it -- 13 hour trip. I had to dis-assemble it when I got home, because I moved it out by myself.

I saw a large load into the front passenger seat of a Honda Accord at the time I was getting mine loaded (BGE provides young, healthy, and STRONG college boys to do the loading, but you're on your own when you get home :laugh: )

Take some old towels to use as padding and you'll be OK.

Tom
  • Riblet
    Riblet Posts: 17
    Options
    You won't regret getting a large egg! As for tranporting it home, we fit a large in the backseat of our Jetta.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    i am probably too late to respond but here goes....
    i drove my first egg home in my '84 300zx

albeit i do live 8 miles from the eggquarters but it
    should make the ride home allright.

now i did transport 1 of em down to florida for the
    florida eggfest and i made it both there and back with
    out any problems

good luck on your choice
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Many thanks to all of you for the thoughtful answers!