Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rosemary Eggspert Needed!!!!!

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i use rosemary some not much but i do use it in the egg so this is not OT

several years ago when i first started getting into cooking as a hobby (and a way to eat). i had a freind give me part of his rosemary bush.. i planted it in a pot and as it grew i continued to get a bigger pot.. well a couple years later i bought two small bushes in my local publix and planted them into the same pot but a diffrent one than my original (so i had 2 that matched). well over the years i could not tell one from the other.. they stayed outside all year long.. well when we first moved into the house they sat out next to the eggs..

101_0354.jpg

well after awhile i decided to plant them on either side of my front porch.. they have both been watered almost everyday.. last year i noticed one or two limbs (for lack of a better term) dying on the one on the right side of my porch. the one on the left no dying.. well summer is winding down and there has been a much worse case of dead limbs..
DSCN1120.jpg

here is a closer look but a worse picture
DSCN1115.jpg

and here is what the other one looks like

DSCN1118.jpg

anyone out there want to take a guess what to do...

an edgucated guess would be even better ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Just a guess, but do you think someones dog lifted his leg on it?? :woohoo:
    I would just prune back the dead wood and let it go! You can't really hurt it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    mine is indoors during the winter, it got huge in the pot and started to do that, lost more than half the plant in one year. mine had a problem with the roots and thats what was killing the top. i was told here fish emulsion fertilizer. i never went to the plant store but picked up some mulch from a farm that seemed to stabilize it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Any dogs out and about (lifting a leg)? Just a thought. rc
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    WOW! What a nice plant!! DO you prune any to dry it too? It will just get thicker if you do. enjoy! Julie
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    Any animals loose in the area? The neighbor's dog used to have that affect on my parents yews (evergreen plant).

Dave
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Just cut out the dead stuff.Trim the the plant from the top when you need the rosemary for whatever.This small plant is five years old and when it gets out of hand do you notice the weed burner tank close by? Just kidding.That stuff seems to grow like a weed and there should be no problem snipping off the dead stuff and it will continue to flourish. This is my small batch.

spatchcockchicken337.jpg
  • Hmmmmmmmmmmm! A DOG? I never would have thought of that!!
  • BENTE
    thanks i rarely prune it and dry it because it is right outside my door i just go out and cut what i need... but i will try to prune it to make it thicker

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    thansk looks like that is what others are saying as well thanks for the reply

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    fish emulsion

since you are fishlessman i would expect a fish related answer from you :whistle: :P

thanks i will look for that... big box store would sell that wouldn't they?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    well it might be worth looking into...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    like i told ar-cee that is worth looking into..

i already recieved a email asking if it was me lifting my leg.. my reply was i only lift in the back for weed protection ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Looks like K9P or root rot.That side may not drain as good as the other side.

Larry
  • BENTE
    that seems to be what i sould do... i rarely cut it except to use... i think i got the 1st bush the year before my egg so in 2000... so you might want to look into moving yours to a spot that will take the extra growth ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    thanks larry!!!

k9 is a slight possibility

root rot might my better.. how do they fix that kind of stuff out there at that little golf course in your town?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I'm sorry. Just being a little sarcastic here. Shows that no body looks in the water before jumping in!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i would check a nursury, those make nice skewers for lamb kabobs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    have not got around to that yet i did do some chicken on them once...

thanks i will check a nursery

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    no need to appoligize to me... i appreciate the thoughts... he was only 1 min 14 seconds faster typing than you :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    You don't water as much.LOL
    Dig down beside the plant and see if the roots are soft.
    Larry
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    You must use that stuff for breakfast,lunch and dinner.I often ask my neighbor if they want any.
  • BENTE
    it is raining now but i will check that out

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    When I trim the dead pieces, I save them and use for smoke with lamb. Great flavor. Also the long stems can be used for lamb skewers for kabobs.
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    Sorry, must of typing at the same time.
  • BENTE
    or you can just smoke them to piss off the neighbors ;)

thanks for the advice

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Some pest problems,aphids,spider mites, whiteflies,mealybugs if these are on it spray with insecticial soap or it could be an animal that could have stepped on and broke the stem.

Doug
    Dallas,Ga.
  • BENTE
    there did not seem to be any insects on it although it does attract butterflies which may bring in spiders.. i cut the bad off and will look into the fish stuff fishlessman spoke of....

the plant does not look to have been stepped on but anything is possible.. i will get a better look at it tomorrow..

thanks for the advice... is there a dog no pee spray? that if about as close as i have gotten.. we live in the city and there is a leash law, and i don't see and dogs running around but as i said anything is possible...

i was thinking that maybe this was the one that was two plants and now that they are not in the same pot they are seperating????? :S :blink:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    to check if there are any of these pests get a sheet of paper and put it under the plant and shake the plant. a spider mite is very small and very hard to see.

Doug
    Dallas,Ga
  • BENTE
    i did not see any just now but will try again tomorrow... thanks i will let you know

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb