Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcited 1st brisket

Egg-on-Medford
Egg-on-Medford Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Day off. Picked up a 5.3 lb flat yesterday on the way home from work. I hate getting up early, but knew I had to if I wanted brisket for dinner.

Cleaned out the fire pit and made sure all the holes were clear. Mixed some new lump in with the leftovers and lit the egg at 0700. Rubbed the brisket with Northern BBQ mix from the Spice House.

Brisket went on at 0800 over a drip pan containing 12 oz beer/water fat cap down. Went to exercise class.

Came home and, here's the eggciting part for me as I know I went with a little hubris, the dome temp was 225!

Tweaked open the petals on the daisy a little bit to try to get up to 240. Will post pics and more details later.

Planning on foiling the brisket at around 165 with some broth and cooking to meat temp 195, but will check with fork for tenderness as well, based on what I've read. While brisket is resting, planning on roasting some brussel sprouts.

Any advice at this point would be appreciated. I know brisket is iffy, but I figured I had to give it a try.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    My advice will go against the grain, but when I wrap my briskets I do so with no liquid whatsoever, put it in dry. I find that when I unwrap it at the end, there is plenty of natural juice & fat in their & I never want to wash any of my seasoning/bark off with adding liquid. Give it a try both ways & see what you think, it'll be great either way I am sure, good luck
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Thought I'd check the temp with my Thermoworks that read 211 in boiling water. Stuck it through a larger hole in the daisy wheel. Didn't want to rest it on the metal for fear it'd melt the plastic. May try to save a wine cork to allow it to rest and be insulated.

Anyway, BGE read 230 and TW read 245. That's what I figured as the BGE read 202 in boiling water. Closed the petals ever so little. Enjoying the last sips of an iced Americano; too early for other adult beverages.

Brskt1245tw230dm.jpg

Brskt1SB41F.jpg

Egging on. Zippy's advice noted. Any other thoughts on broth or not in the foil????
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Posts: 3
    I would foil at 165 with 1/2 cup of beef broth. Pull at 195 and put in cooler wrapped in towels for 1 hour minimum... :) Enjoy...
  • keeping dome temp at 250??

meat is now at 160 (12:15)
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Posts: 3
    I typically keep dome temp at 225-235. 250 should still be fine. Be patient as the brisket will sit in the 160 degree range for awhile before ramping up to 195.
  • foiled at 165 w/ broth. no lengthy plateau. it's now at 186 meat. dome has crept up to 260.

I probably could have gotten the temp lower, but I have this fear of the fire going out if I close the bottom door or daisy any more; it's amazing how little air can keep this thing going.