Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 Butts on Large?

Options
gthom
gthom Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted about a month ago that I was considering selling barbecue plates for Labor Day Weekend at this local "biker ralley". Well, after much back and forth, I've decided to give it a go. Having NO IDEA about the number of plates we're going to sell, I've decided to cook some of the butts in advance (then pull, vacuum seal, and freeze).

I've had good success with doing a fast cook (350-375 dome) for 4-5 hours. However, the meat isn't quite as tender and since it doesn't spend much time during the plateau period, the fat doesn't break down like a low and slow. I'd rather do low and slow.

I know that its easy to cook 4 butts on the large (and even 3 on a single grid). I was thinking of trying 8 at a time. I am considering the following set up:
- removing the fire ring
- plate setter legs up
- drip pan
- grid (3 butts)
- raised grid (3 butts)
- grid extender (2 butts)

1. Anyone think this will fit (height wise)
2. Am I going to run out of lump? I've always had a lot left when doing butts before (of course I fill it up almost to the top of the fire ring).

I will likely wind up doing 4 or 5 the normal way, but I'm always wanting to try something new. Anyone else tried this?

GTHOM

Comments