Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Steaks are High!!

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read all about seared steaks, but was a bit unsure about it. The mustard thing also left me a bit suspicious.[p]Well, please forgive me for all of my doubts. I got my Medium Egg up to well over the 750* mark and placed two NY Strips on her (one with brown mustard and seasonings, the other with a little seasons). The results were GREAT! Girlfriend (not much of a meat eater said they were fantastic. Also, the mustard coated steak was better than the plain one.[p]Again, sorry for not believing the forum and all of its members.[p]Smokey

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Smokey,
    Don't be sorry for not listening, it took Bob about, what, 2 years to try mustard rubbed on meat. He is since a convert.[p]And you tried it, didn't you?? That is the important thing.[p]Congrats
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Smokey, that's funny!! "And the Truth shall set you free."!
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Smokey,
    I, too, was in the same state of mind at first. But as time went on..took more and more sugestions, and became so happy with the results. And the beauty of it is that it doesnt stop at steaks..these members can give great pointers on almost anything..from baking to cooking wild animals. I can't think of any online family to be associated with. These people are my heroes!
    Heeeee!
    ST

• Smokey
    Nature Boy,[p]Its not that I didn't listen, its that I was such a skeptic! I mean MUSTARD on a wonderful steak? Are you nuts?[p]Truth is it was wonderful! Thanks to all for the suggestions. Keep the comming!

• Smokey
    Char-Woody,[p]I'm saved! I'm saved! I see the light! (and saw the flame) There was no "Back Draft" thing, but I was ready just in case![p]Smokey
  • Smokey,
    Here's the deal...it's like some kind of "epiphany" the first time you make those mustard-rubbed steaks! They turn out incredibly tender & juicy.
    QUESTION/THEORY: Since the mustard does not seem to add its own flavor, do you suppose that somehow it seals the "pores" of the meat, thereby locking in more of the flavor & tenderness?