Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need good tilapia recipe

Options
garwig
garwig Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would love to cook some tilapia tomorrow night. I am sure someone out there has an outstanding recipe they would like to share!!!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    this one looks great:::

Tilapia, Orange/Cilantro Glaze, Chef Wil

Ingredients
    8 pieces tilapia (6-8 oz each) skinless
    18 oz orange marmalade (by weight)
    1 can (6 oz) orange juice (unsweetened not concentrate)
    1 bunch cilantro
    3 jalapenos (seeded)
    favorite seafood rub (optional)

Procedure
    1 Blend all ingrediients together.
    2 Season fish with your favorite rub or just salt and pepper. Rubs produce a nice crust.
    3 Tilapia cooks pretty quickly. Cook for about 3 minutes per side at 375°F. Cook skin side first then flip and brush on glaze. Note, that this is skinless so cook the side that was closest to the skin first.
    4 When done remove and drizzle a little more glaze when serving.

Servings: 1
    Yield: 3 cups of glaze

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Chef Wil

Source: BGE Forum, Chef Wil, 01/05/04

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I do them with a beer batter...
    ONION RING BEER BATTER
    1/2 cup dark beer
    1/2 cup seltzer water or club soda
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 egg white
    3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
    1 cup Wondra or pastry flour
    1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Pour beer and seltzer water or soda into the bowl of a blender
    or food processor (or a stick blender can be used). Sprinkle
    in pepper, mustard, salt and onion powder and oil. Pulse until
    combined. Add flour last, and process only until mixed. Batter
    may still be slightly lumpy, but almost smooth. If too pasty,
    add a teaspoon of water at a time until mixture has the
    consistency of a pancake batter.
    Whisk egg white until frothy in a shallow bowl. Gently stir in
    contents of food processor, mixing until combined.
    Slice large sweet onions into rings. Separate rings. Soak in a
    small amount of milk for 10 minutes. Drain and lightly
    sprinkle with onion powder, then dip in batter.
    Fry small batches in hot oil (365F), turning once, gently to
    brown evenly. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper
    towels before serving. Season with salt and pepper (a little
    hot salt or cayenne, if desired) while still hot from fryer.
    Serve in paper baskets lined with paper towels. Great with
    batter-fried fish.
    Tilapia1b.jpg
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I haven’t done this on the Egg…But have done it numerous times in the oven last fall, winter and spring. It was really good!
    I would think that it would work equally well on the Egg, but it may not get any benefit from the char. being cooked in parchment.
    None the less it was a great meal.
    With that thought, here is a favorite just busting with Mediterranean flavors that has been adapted from The Philosopher's Kitchen by Francine Segan (Random House)

FISH “Baked In Parchment"
    Dad’s Kitchen
    Serves 4

Juice of 2 lemons
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 C. olive oil
    4 Bay leaves, crushed
    1/2 T. pepper corns (pink if you can find them)
    2 T. capers, rinsed
    15 black olives, pitted and halved
    Salt and fresh ground pepper
    4 firm flesh fillets (about 8oz. each)
    1 lemon cut in wedges

1)) Combine the first seven ingredients in a Lg. zip-lock baggie. Add the fillets to the marinade, turning bag to cover well. Refrigerate for at least two hours (even over night is OK)

2)) Have ready four sheets (one for each fillet) of parchment, each 12" long. Brush both sides with olive oil. Place a fish fillet, centered, on the paper, salt and pepper to taste, and top with several spoonfuls (dividing in four) of the marinade.
    ** To close the packet, bring the top and bottom edges together and fold over about 1/2". Continue to fold until you reach the fillet. Tuck the sides of the parchment (each end) under the fish.

3)) Bake packets on a baking sheet with sides, in a preheated 400 degree F. oven for about 12 to 15 minutes.

Serve "in the paper" with a wedge of lemon, a side of rice and freshly steamed vegetables. A combination of broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, summer squash and onion complement this very well.
    And even though I haven't tried it, I would think that some veggies right in the parchment would roast up nicely too.

In addition to this recipe, I have to share “Ten lessons” which came to me with the above recipe. I particularly feel close to Lessons 3, 5 & 10..
    Hope you can enjoy!

SECRETS of SOCRATES
    (and a few others)
    "The Ten Lessons"

Lesson 1
    "Some men live to eat and drink. I eat and drink to live."
    - Socrates, Greek Philosopher, 5th. century B.C.
    Lesson 2
    "Appetite is the best seasoning"
    - Socrates.
    Lesson 3
    "A crust eaten in peace is better than a feast in anxiety"
    - Aesop, 6th. century B.C.
    Lesson 4
    "Nothing can nourish the human body unless it participates in some sweetness"
    - Aristotle, Greek Philosopher, 4th. century B.C
    Lesson 5
    “Live each day as though your last"
    - Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome, 1st. century
    Lesson 6
    "To be happy takes a complete lifetime. One swallow does not make summer..."
    - Aristotle
    Lesson 7
    "It is impossible to live pleasurably without living wisely, well and justly, and impossible to live wisely, well and justly without living pleasurably"
    - Epicurus, Greek Philosopher, 4th. century B.C.
    Lesson 8
    "We should look first for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink. Dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf"
    - Epicurus.
    Lesson 9
    "The way to keep healthy is to know one's own constitution, to understand what is good for it and what is bad, and to exercise moderation regarding all one's physical needs"
    - Marcus Cicero, Roman statesmen, 1st. century B.C.
    Lesson 10
    "There are two liquids especially agreeable to the human body, wine inside and oil outside"
    - Pliny the Elder, historian, 1st. century
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Or if you realy want a "I just got home from work and want an easy cook" Just cover in fresh limon juice, a little crack pepper and some Old Bay seasoning.
    6-21-08062.jpg

Grill direct on a raised grill at 300 till flakey
    6-21-08066.jpg

And serve over a bed of rice with a salid side.
    6-21-08071.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Here is an easy one we do. In the middle of a piece of parchment paper I put 6-8 pieces of blanched fresh green beans, 5-6 slices of summer squash, sprinkled a small handful of shredded carrots over this. Place one piece of fish on top of the pile then add a few long pieces of chives, a sprig of dill, a slice of lemon or lime top with a tsp of butter and set a cherry tomato on top of it all. fold and close up tight twisting the parchment to close or even staple the two ends if you have to. It is very colorful and fragrant and tasty! If you have any fresh crab meat a tbs on the fish and put the lemon on the side is good too and just put the rest of the stuff right on top of it.
    Picture618Small.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Bente, love the looks of that glaze. I can think of a few things it would be good on. keeping that one!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    So is this cook time pretty much like my “parchment thing”, taking about 15 minutes?