Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

College Football opening day cook?

skitzafranek
skitzafranek Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I am a little early, but I don't care! What is everyone going to be cooking this coming Saturday? I have been going back and forth between a brisket and pork butt. I am not sure though... How about you? What are you going to cook? GO SOONERS!!!!!!!!

Comments

• brookaf
    brookaf Posts: 34
    6 PM kickoff this week so I am thinking some hamburgers or some form of chicken wings. I'm going to make sure it's something that doesn't take too long so we can make sure to have plenty of time to walk over to campus and let the tailgating begin.
  • deer bites,ritzy doves and bacon wrapped shrimp
  • brookaf
    brookaf Posts: 34
    Tidewillroll, are you going to the Clemson game or watching it from home? I only ask because I'm an Auburn student and have heard tons of people say they are headed to Atlanta.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Hey guys, see my post a few lines down about "Pigskin Pick-em", if you are interested.

btw.....Chili on Saturday.
  • Wings baby! Wings!
  • wings, ABT's and pulled pork....Roll Tide Roll!!!!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    cornbread chili pie

DSCN1077.jpg

Pie, Chili, Cornbread

When I got home last night there was nothing in the fridge but some suspect hot dogs and wilted carrots.... and after searching through the kitchen for a while, things weren't looking too promising for dinner. Opening the freezer, there it was ..... a quart of chili made a couple months back... and looking through the cupboards, there were fixins for cornbread. I like cornbread with chili and having remembered seeing a recipe for combining the two, I thought I'd wing it.

1/2 chopped onion
    1 14 oz can creamed corn
    about 1/2 cup of milk
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    dollop of mayo (no eggs and couldn't think what else to use)
    about 1.5 cups of yellow cornmeal
    3 tsp baking powder

1 I started up the egg, put in the platesetter feet down, let the temp steady at 350, set the skillet pie on the setter, closed the dome and let it cook for about an hour until the cornbread got nice and brown.
    2 Fill the bottom of a 12" cast iron skillet with about a quart of chili.
    3 Mix well. Try to keep the mixture from getting too thick or too thin..... it should just pour out of the bowl.
    4 Evenly pour over the chili and bake until brown on top.
    5 Have a moment of silence for the greens, crack a PBR and eat.

Recipe Source
    Author: posted by Woodoggies

Source: BGE Forum on 2008/07/15

DSCN1076.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Did the cornbread soak down into the chili or stay on top? I like the idea of this combo.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • smoked chicken with white bbq sauce, wings of course.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Prime Rib for a winetasting,they have a flat screen in the tasting room.Italian wine and Prime Rib off the EGG.Does it get any better than that?
    GO DAWGS
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    yes the cornbread soaked into the cornbread... was really diffrent but still familiar (if that makes any sense)

but i have been freezing chili for the last couple weekends in anticipation...

go steelers ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    The party starts around 9am...will be doing Brats,Italian sausage with onions and peppers. Will snack on Conecah sausage and have hot dogs for the young'uns.
    Have a few brewski's and make it to the game at 6pm.
    War Eagle and it's great to be an AUBURN Tiger.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Still debating what to cook, but I just had to say "HOOK'EM HORNS!"

I will be at home watching on TV (I only make a game or two per year) but I am curious, do many use BGE's for tailgating? Although I love my six week old L BGE, this is the one area where BGE seems to be lacking. They are not very portable, especially if you are cooking for a crowd. Not a problem for me as I am usually at home watching from the best seat in the house.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Skihorn...I have a lge also and tailgating with it is out of the question for me. But I have seen tailgaters with mini's and smalls.(Young Couples) In fact that's why I started thinking about getting one for the cook outs at the lake house.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Stuffed Fritos, wings, and some other stuff