Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
Mañana Mike
Mañana Mike Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK I really feel bad about being gone for about a year. I have done alot of things and been alot of places but as you can see I ALWAYS COME BACK HERE TO THE FORUM. Now that I am back home I need help ( isn't that always the problem). I am going to have about 20 couples over for some pork butt. I have Elder Wards tretise on cooking and all that goes along with it. I have even tried it once before, with fairly good results. Now, here is the question: I think I can cook this as good as can be expected in Oregon. I have a really great butcher in the market where we shop. The one thing that I can't figure out is: What do I order from the butcher? No one has said what kind of cut I should ask for. I think I should get two cuts and cook them on Mr. Egg on two grills (one above the other) using Elder Wards suggestions. I am thinking that I will cook them overnite on Wednesday, get it done on Thursday afternoon, then keep it untill Friday evening and serve it. That way I am not wasted at the party on Friday. Give Me Suggestions. I'm gonna play alot of Jimmy Buffet, serve alot of Tequila, & hope for the best.[p]Thanks again
Manana
Miguel

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Manana Mike,[p]You can order a whole shoulder and cook that or have your butcher cut the shoulder in two and cook what is then called the picnic and butt. Seems folks most often cook the butt, which really is the top end of the shoulder, for pulled pork.
    Whatever of the three you choose, figure to lose about 30-40% of the raw weight from start of the cook to the finished pulled pork.
    I would suggest for consistency sake to cook a couple large butts... so ask your butcher for Boston butt or pork shoulder butt or plain ole pork butt.... that with a bunch of sides and plenty of tequila ought to cover it.
    What time is the party?[p]WD

• Manana Mike,[p]I did a pair of Boston Butts and a Pork Arm for pulled pork at this year's Eggtoberfest (see for details on the recipes http://biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/51472.shtml). [p]I'd definately go with a pair of Boston Butts. The arm cuts have much larger pieces of bones compared the the Butt (which means less meat). You can get at least two to three butts on a single layer on a large egg at one time. [p]If you are going to use the vinegar sauce (which I would highly recommend), don't put it on the meat until you are ready to serve. Go ahead and cook the meat Wednesday/Thursday, pull it Thursday afternoon/evening while it is still hot and put it in the fridge. Heat it up while everybody is getting there and then dowse it with the vinegar sauce before you put it on the table. This will make the meat incredibly moist and will completely eliminate the greasy mouth-feel you get with pulled pork. Also, make sure you have cole slaw on the table and let everyone know that it is perfectly acceptable (heck,it should be down right required!) to put some cole slaw on top of the meat.[p]Oh, and don't expect to have any left overs. Once folks taste your pulled pork they will head back for seconds, thirds, and sometimes fourths. The only way I've managed to have some pulled pork after I have a party to smoke another butt or two while the party is going on and finish it after everyone heads home.[p]Smokin' Bill
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Manana Mike,[p]"I'm gonna play alot of Jimmy Buffet, serve alot of Tequila, & hope for the best."[p]You're gonna do that and you think you MIGHT have problems? Man, I AM THERE! Boat drinks for everybody![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Thanks for the advice. Starts at 7:00 PM & you're invited. Hope you can make it. Parrot heads will be here in significant numbers.

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    Smokin' Bill,
    Thanks for the advice. I printed it out to refer to in the future. You are invited. Starts at 7:00 PM & bring your shark fin for the Buffet stuff. Parrot heads we are.

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Thanks for the note Kelly. Bring your inflatable shark & join us parrotheads for a good one. Starts at 7:00 PM

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Manana MIke,[p]Thanks for the invitation. Lets see, if I drive out now, stop just for gas and a few hours sleep, I can be there in less than 3 days.
    Email directions to the above address.
    I'll bring the Patron Anejo.[p]WD

• Manana Mike,[p]I'd love to attend, but I know if I flew out to your neck o' the woods and left SWMBO with the carpet commandos I would find myself eggless (and no, I'm not talking about my Big Green Egg, although that might go missing too...).[p]Bill