Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to clean cast iron grate??

Chxnwing
Chxnwing Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need some advice on cleaning the cast iron cooking grate I have some really cooked on spots and a bit of rust here and there. Thoughts on what I should do next would be a great help!

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Cleanse by Fire!!
    i do mine on the fire and hit with wire brush. after it cools spray with some Pam for grilling or wipe with oil.
    The High temp grilling spray before each use works well.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i just heat it up, scrape it with a grll scraper, and cook on it. a little rust doesnt bother me, but if you dont want it on the food at all, a little oil on a towel wipes it off enough that it wont be on the food. rust on castiron is more of a patina than anything, it doesnt keep rusting away
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • If you still have some rust on it and it bothers you, like it does me, put a wire brush in your electric drill and remove it, them wash with soap and dry completely, then warm it up slightly (in the oven), them put a light coat of crisco on it, then wipe off any excess crisco and bake it @ 350 for an hour, then wipe off any excess crisco again and your done. I sometimes do this two or three times to get a good coat of seasoning on it that will last. Any questions Google ... Lodge Cast Iron and read their care page.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I use my cast iron grate at high temperatures for sake of searing hash marks on burgers, breasts and steaks. At those red hot temps any oil coating like that on a cast iron Dutch oven are immediately burnt off. Over a short period of time the cast iron grate takes on a form of protection, yet sometimes light rust will appear. If bad enough I'll take a wire brush for a quick brush, but find once heated again the rust disappears. Been doing that for several years and don't intend to do it any other way in the future. IOW - trying to treat a grate like your best Dutch oven is a waste of time and effort.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Cute pic Bill...now how do you cln the perps muzzle ???
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    she generally wipes it on me :woohoo:
    actually she licks her chops till it is clean .