Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook

Options
pog
pog Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just completed my first cook on my egg. I did the oil can chicken that was posted this week. I had a little trouble holding the 4oo degree temp. Used egg lump started with three fire starters. Every time I raised the top to baste the temp would drop to 300-350 and hold there. The bottom vent was open apx 1 1/2 inch and the daisy wheel was open all the way. Could not get the temp up with out sliding the daisy wheel off to the side. I did check the temp gauge with boiling water when I set the egg up. Do you have any suggestions as to what I was doing wrong? Or I'm I just to impatiant.

The chicken was good but not great I should have pulled it a little sooner. I took pics but not sure how to post at this time but will do latter.

Comments

• WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    There are so many experts on this forum, you will learn lots here, but, can't say I'm an expert...yet. I don't know the oil can chicken method but, I think you may have been, understandably, impatient. Let the Egg get to, and stay at, the desired temp for a while. My experience is that when stable at a temp, the Egg likes to stay at that temp. Stay on the low side to achieve the stable temp, because it's much harder to lower the temp(ceramic mass temp) than to raise it. The Egg is not a home oven, not at Weber, it's the best of both. I've had a few "not great" meals with the Egg, but most are better than my best with other methods.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Some things I learned the hard way --

> Place larger blocks of lump on the bottom, smaller on top.
    > Don't pour lump from the bag, as small particles and dust can clog the vent holes in the bottom grate.
    > Make a wire poker from a shirt-coat-hanger, and poke open the bottom of the grate [via the bottom grate].
    > Use three 4" stove bolts and some nuts, and build "legs" onto the bottom grate, raising it evenly above the ceramic well... this significantly improves air-flow. I have had few circulation problems since doing this.

Follow these simple practices, and your problem will be keeping temps down -- not getting them up. And, of course, this is easy after a little practice with the bottom slider and the daisy wheel petals.

~ Best

~ Broc

:):):)
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    Make sure the screw on the daisy wheel is toward the front of the egg facing the thermometer. It should keep it from shifting when you open the lid and keeps your position.