Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHUCK, THE ROAST

Options
MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi there[p]I am cooking a 3+ LB chuch roast about 2 1/2 inches thick or more. What internal do I need to have a medium rare center? Thanks in advance for the info. Using a 20 year old recipe. I will post when I'm done.[p]MAC

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    MAC,
    i cooked a thick 2 lb chuck roast at 700 degrees....2 minutes each side...then closed both vents for 4 minutes. I was swimming in the juices.
    So i would do a 3 lber for 3 minutes each side at same temp, then close both cents for 5 minutes.
    ST

• MAC
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Many thanks...wife is skeptical about time - proof will be in the juices!
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    MAC,
    please let me know of the results.
    ST

• MAC
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Wow....now I have another reason to keep him around! The roast is delicious, juicy, perfectly seared, and already half gone.[p]MAC's wife!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Way to go ther ST!! And big points with Mrs.MAC too!! Nice to tap into the forum, and see the sweet progression of the thread. The QUESTION. The ST ANSWER. The RESULTS and BIG POINTS. I like it.[p]I would have never known to do a chuck roast like that. Is in tender like a steak?? I used one in Chili once that was great, but haven't cooked one fully like a steak.[p]Well, y'all enjoy the weekend. I'm outa here.[p]Nature Boy. In nature. Tootaloo.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    Mrs. MAC,
    It's good to know you have enjoyed it!
    Now keep practicing on your Egg...u may soon celebrate a national championship with your Spartans!

• MAC
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Qin' is like SEX. You don't have to be good at to have fun. I should have used new lump. Couldn't hold 700 Deg. so it wasn't quite done when I pulled it off. So back on the EGG it went for a few more minutes per side and it STILL came out wonderful. Marinated it in a sweet and sour for two days. Soy, Brown sugar, white vinegar, a can of crushed pineapple, fresh ginger a little garlic and Wishesterire sauce. It was GRRR...ATE! Thanks for the help. Isn't NB a riot. Sorry that's a bad word at MSU. Mateen told everyone he is going to do it this year. GO GREEN ! ! ! My prediction is MSU & DUKE in the finals. [p]MAC