Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Advice - I'm new to this

Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live in Connecticut and have had many propane and charcoal grills over the years. I was convinced I had to try smoking but could never find a traditional smoker grill to check out (you know with the off set fire box etc).[p]Now I've stumbled across the "Big Green Egg" and I'm confused. I know everyone on this site is an avid BGE fan but could you tell me some of your thoughts on BGE vs Texas type smokers (off set fire box etc)[p]1) I like the size (Never more than 10 people)
2) Can you use water ?
3) How does true BBQ (ribs, butts, etc) taste vs Texas smokers
4) Can you use logs only vs charcoal ?
5) Are there any must options for the large BGE ?[p]I apologize but I'm very interested in buying once and I'm obviously searching for advice, any and all is appreciated.[p]Thanks, [p]Doug[p]

Comments

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    doug,[p]1) I like the size (Never more than 10 people) - You can cook for more than ten, but it is not really suited for catering.
    2) Can you use water ? - You can but you don't need it. The ceramic design holds in moisture, unlike metal smokers.
    3) How does true BBQ (ribs, butts, etc) taste vs Texas smokers? - I have eaten BBQ all around the south and the BBQ I have cooked on the BGE is better than any i have ever had. I do not think you will be disappointed here.
    4) Can you use logs only vs charcoal ? - Natural lump charcoal is the prefered fuel w/ wood chunks or chips added for smoke.
    5) Are there any must options for the large BGE ? I recommend: Daisy wheel top, the spring assisted band (not a must, but once you try it versus the origianl band, you will have to have it), ash tool, dome thermometer. I also recommend these if you are going to be doing low & slow cooks (i.e. butts, ribs): Polder thermometer (or other digital meat thermometer w/ probe), V-rack, drip pan. I also like the platesetter/heat deflector for indirect cooks.[p]Bottom line: One of the Top 3 purchases I have ever made. I just got mine in April and it has already paid for itself 5 times over. I tell you my friends a family have sure enjoyed it.[p]Good Luck![p]

• doug,
    I have both an egg as well as a traditional off set and here are my thoughts:[p]1) I like the size (Never more than 10 people) - True
    2) Can you use water ? - If you want to
    3) How does true BBQ (ribs, butts, etc) taste vs Texas smokers - Both can be used to "smoke" foods. In the egg, you need fire bricks, or a pizza stone or something similar to create an indirect cook and then you will need to add would chips to the coals.
    4) Can you use logs only vs charcoal ? - with the egg, you will be limited to charcoal but wood chips or chunks may be added for the smoke flavor
    5) Are there any must options for the large BGE ? - Yes, thermometer, fire bricks or pizza stone, ash removal tool, Addition grill to name a few [p]Things I like about the egg: effecient, high or low temp cooking (225 - 800 degrees), the novelty of it's looks and it won't rust.[p]Things I don't like about the egg: It's ceramic, so it might break if not taken care of properly. It weighs a ton so mine is not mobile at all. The smell of burning hair everytime I forget about flash backs. The price.[p]Just my two copper pieces
    Matt.

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    doug,
    Let me know what you decide to do. I live in Milford CT I have a Large and a small, never had a Texas type smoker but would never Trade, sell or swap my BGE's for anything. [p]I'm sure a few smoker fellows will chime in about smokers and the way it can't stand up to CT winters and the need to fill with water and tinker with the temp every other hour.[p]With the egg it's set and forget. Which is very nice in the cold and the rain ect...[p]Where in CT are you??[p]Dublin

• doug,[p]The size is great for small to medium groups---but, when you need to blow it out with a large group, you can can put 3 or 4 Boston butts on there and feed a bunch.[p]I use water more often than I don't. I set an old baking dish on the main grid, then sent a black fish grid (or raised grid) over that. The BGE retains moisture well by itself but I don't think a pan full of water hurts when you're cooking with indirect heat at 200-225 F. When I'm cooking steaks, burgers, etc., obviously no indirect heat nor water.[p]Doug, I own both an offset and a BGE. No comparison. Ease of use, amount of charcoal, quality of food, consistency of quality food, clean-up, etc. all easily militate in favor of the Egg. No question. [p]Though a lot of us (like me) don't post here often (though we check it many times a day like it's an addiction), the forum participants' advice is almost always sound. [p]I've had my BGE 8 months and haven't used the offset once.
    Buy one (preferably a large)---you won't be disappointed. Best purchase I ever made.[p]I would consider these necessary accessories: ash tool, some sort of pan or device for indirect cooking, some sort of raised grid or mechanism to increase cooking area. [p]I would consider these advisable, though certainly not "necessary," accessories: cover for the BGE, lump charcoal (rather than Kingsford, etc.---never used logs so can't help you there), Weber fire starters, long matches, Thermapen internal food thermometer, cold beer and/or bourbon.[p]

• doug,[p]I second everyone's comments below with one addition.....[p]You can make one kick-butt wood-fired pizza in a ceramic cooker. You'll need a ceramic pizza stone and either firebricks or a plate setter.[p]Jeff
  • doug,
    I totally concur with everyones statments, but wanted to throw my two cents in. A year ago I was looking to buy one of the off-set pits. Im from South Carolina but went to college in TX. So, I've had my share of Texas and Carolina BBQ. So back to the looking to buy thing. Before I could get my hands on the off-set pit my parents, who live in Dallas-Ft. Worth, ordered them, and me a BGE. The first thing I did was smoke a brisket for 13 hours. The second thing I did was smoke pork for 11 hours. I'll tell ya. I was missing some Texas BBQ but also had to have my Carolina pulled pork. Those days are over now. I've never had such good BBQ,BOTH WAYS, until now! I didnt have to use water. They egg held good moisture even after the long cook times. The water I did use came from the wood chips, soaked over night. My parents really did me a favor. To answer your question about which to get, BGE or off-set smoker. Let me ask you this. How are you going sear some beautiful steaks on an off-set smoker? What about the grilled burgers, chicken breast, etc... The point is, you get the versatility of indirect and direct grilling methods with the BGE. Do your self a flavor. Get the egg, and you will hatch a whole new way of cooking.

• doug,
    I second everything said so far and promise you will not be disappointed with an Egg. A good table is the only thing I might suggest that hasn't been mentioned. You can make it or buy one. Once you get your Egg and get involved in The Forum you will quickly find all the help and advice you could ever need to make excellent meals. Something else to keep in mind - The Egg is a lifetime purchase and a lifetime of enjoyable meals.[p]Get one.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• doug,
    Whereabouts in CT are you? I live in Waterford (near New London). Many of the BGE users seem to be from the south, west or midwest. Not too many northeast users, but I'll tell you, most yankees don't know what they're missing. I've played around with bullet style smokers and Webber kettle grills, and I'll tell you something the BGE has all over them, you can cook with it all winter! I've done the Thanksgiving turkey at outdoor temps below freezing, without any problems.[p]David B.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    lo n' slo,
    Not only pizza, but when setup correctly it is a brick oven. You can bake bread, pies and cakes on the egg.
    R&J

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    David B.,
    Hey if this keeps up we can have our very own CT eggfest ;-)
    cap'n, dublin, you and maybe doug

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    doug,
    I never used a smoker either until I got my egg a month and a half ago. With the help of the forum, I've learned how to smoke whole chickens and ribs (and many things I've yeat to try) that come out fantastic. Each meal I make is better than the last.
    I can't comment on how well off-set smokers work since I've never used one, but I can tell you why I chose an egg instead of the other style.[p]1. I live in Boston, and wanted a cooker that would stand up to the winters and keep its heat without a lot of fire tending--the egg can do that. I haven't gotten the chance to test it in snow, but 2 weekends ago it was in the 40's and rainy, so I decided to smoked ribs for 4 hours at 300 degrees. The temperature didn't budge.
    2. I wanted to be able to grill as well as smoke. The egg is great for both, as well as making Pizzas and other dishes you wouldn't expect to be able to make outside of the kitchen.
    3. I recently graduated from college and my wonderful parents wanted to buy me something that I would get lots of use out of and would last a lifetime. I haven't used my oven or the indoor grill since getting the egg, so the frequency of use will not be a problem. And other than the possibility of tipping it over and cracking, the egg will indeed last a lifetime (plus it has a lifetime warantee, just in case, that will cover almost anything excluding egg tipping).[p]As far as necessary accessories, the list just keeps growing--I'd recommend the same as others (especially the daisy wheel/slider top and thermometer), but my addition to that list would be a MAPP gas torch instead of fire starters. Besides being ridiculously fun to play with, a 45 second to 1 minute blast of the lump charcoal with a MAPP torch can get the fire going and ready at grilling temperatures within 10 minutes. This speed is unnecessary if you're going to be smoking for hours, but since I do more grilling during the week (no time for smoking), it really is a time saver. And the extra 5 minutes that it takes to heat an egg rather than a george foreman grill is worth every second.
    Good luck with your decision.[p]--Aron

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    doug,[p]I've had both. BGE tastes better. But Texas Smoker looks really cool in the back of a pickup truck when you pull into a campground!
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    doug,
    Since I haven't read all the posts regarding your questions, I'll throw something in that may or may not have been mentioned. With a little care, it could be the last grill you buy. Unless you add a second egg. Also, the egg is very easy to learn and very forgiving.