Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kingsford Lump revisited

Options
Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone in another thread said that Kingsford had changed its lump so that it is not so "sparky" and much more suitable.

Has anyone developed or seen any testing results that indicate the "new" Kingsford lump is worth trying once again?

Comments

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I have compared it directly with the old stuff and the difference is night and day. There was a tremendous amount of sparking in the older charwood and absolutely zero in the newer configuration. I used a chimney starter to get it going and got it as high as 600 in the egg and it seemed to work great.
  • jlspitler
    Options
    not trying to hijack the thread but i have never use the kingsford brand lump. i am used to the ro brand. but now that it is close to winter up here in chicago the local walmarts are not restocking it. so i have to resort to the kingsford. my question is how do you tell if you are buying the old or the new stuff cause i need a few bags for this coming labor day weekend. thanks
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I reviewed both the old and new. The new review is posted on the Lump Charcoal Database website: www.lump-charcoal.com.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The old was made in Argentina and it says so on the bag. The new is made in the US, and again, the bag says so. Check out the review of the new at the Lump Charcoal Database: www.lump-charcoal.com.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    I reviewed both the old and new. The new review is posted on the Lump Charcoal Database website: www.lump-charcoal.com.

N, Thanks, as usual!

A couple of questions!

It appears that you have not updated your rankings since you re-reviewed the Kingsford. Is this the case?

Also, I noticed your comment that you feel the Picnic Hardwood Charcoal has gone down. I have had similar thoughts lately but it is still serving my purposes as long as I am careful with how I use it (and re-use it).

How do you feel the "new" Kingsford compares with the Picnic now?
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "update your rankings". The rankings are done every time you view the page. All the votes are recorded to a database and the rankings are generated from the database. I just checked and I did reset the database and the comments when the new review was done.

As for comparing Picnic and Kingsford, I'd have to have a new sample to see how much the size distribution has changed. Kingsford does a bit better on ash and burntime, though.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Yep, the old stuff was Argie, but the new is 100% Missouri wood.
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    Yeap, I use the new Kingsford lump in my egg all the time and no sparking at all. Great product.
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean by "update your rankings". The rankings are done every time you view the page. All the votes are recorded to a database and the rankings are generated from the database. I just checked and I did reset the database and the comments when the new review was done.

As for comparing Picnic and Kingsford, I'd have to have a new sample to see how much the size distribution has changed. Kingsford does a bit better on ash and burntime, though.

N, thanks for the prompt reply!

The reason for my question is that I saw that Picnic Hardwood Charcoal still appears in the ranking with an "Above Average" ranking.

I couldn't find the Kingsford Charwood in the same general ranking area.
  • Eggatorium
    Options
    Last week bought some from store just to try. Mixed some on top with Royal Oak and there was no sparking. Just the same as RO. Pleased with it and will buy some more. :)