Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Hickory Smoked Beef Tenderloin In Salt Crust

Options
Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is the RECIPE:
Beef Tenderloin in Salt Crust

5 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups kosher salt
3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
5 egg whites
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, and/or sage)
1 (6 to 7-pound) whole beef tenderloin, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil

SEQUENCE:

Make the dough
Rest the dough
Setup Egg for cold smoking
Sear tenderloin
Rest tenderloin
Light Egg for cold smoking
Cold smoke meat
Add lump and setup for cook at 400 F
Roll tenderloin in dough
Place on baking stone
Roast until 125 internal
Slice enjoy

DIRECTIONS:

Place the flour, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and water and add to the dry ingredients along with 2 tablespoons of the herbs. Combine with a potato masher until the mixture begins to come together. Then knead with your hands for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large zip-top bag, seal, and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours, or up to 24 hours.
Set up Egg for Cold Smoking: Direct, very little lump & hickory wood chips, stabilize at 100 F dome.
In order to achieve uniform cooking, fold over slender tail end of tenderloin and tie with kitchen twine. Set a large electric griddle at its highest setting; brush the tenderloin with the olive oil and sear on all sides until well browned, approximately 10 minutes. Rest the meat for at least 5 minutes or until it is cool to the touch so as not to melt the dough.
Fill drip pan with ice and put seared loin on baking stone on top of Egg grid, and cold smoke for about 60 min.
Remove tenderloin from Egg and let rest at room temperature.
Add lump and set up Egg for cook at 400 F and stabilize.
Transfer dough to a floured surface and roll out to 3/16-inch thickness, approximately a 24 by 18-inch rectangle. Trim away extra dough, if necessary. Sprinkle the remaining herbs on the center section of the dough and gently press down.
Place the tenderloin in the center of the dough. Fold top part of dough over, flipping back about 1-inch of dough onto itself. Repeat with the bottom half of the dough. Press together the 2 flaps of dough and seal. Make sure the dough is not too tight around the tenderloin. At the ends of the tenderloin, press together dough to form a seal and cut away any excess. Transfer to a baking stone, place in the Egg and roast to an internal temperature of 125 degrees F, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the Egg and allow to rest for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour. The tenderloin will continue to cook 10 to 15 degrees more. Cut salt crust at 1 end and extract meat by pulling out of dough tube. Slice and serve immediately

Here are the PHOTOS:

MY WIFE LOREN MADE ALL THE PREPARATIONS INSIDE, here Searing The Beef Tenderloin

DSCN0689.jpg

DSCN0690.jpg

Cold Hickory Smoked..notice the ice in drip pan.....100 dome 60 min. TKS NW & Egret

RSCN0721.jpg

DSCN0692.jpg

Tlaloc started again......

DSCN0693.jpg

The Sierra was practically invisible....

DSCN0699.jpg

Added the crust...

DSCN0695.jpg

Coming out of the Egg

DSCN0700.jpg

Added some Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce

RSCN0712.jpg

Asparagus and New Potatoes

RSCN0717.jpg

Guava Mousse

RSCN0733.jpg

....with Cookies'n Cream & Dwarf Guavas from the garden

RSCN0732.jpg

ENJOY!!!!!!!

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    WOW!!
    a feast for eyes and palate........
    i loved living in the caribbean and the storms that we used to get is always a reason to gather and partake of food and spirits....
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Whoa!

You went right past me... :S

What's with the ice water...? To keep the air within the Egg super-cooled, so you add smoke only to the meat? :ermm:

~ Broc
  • Beli
    Options
    Well yes I wanted the smoke flavour and since its crusted I had to add the smoke before I added the crust and at the same time didn`t want to cook the meat in the process.In other words, The meat was smoked and not cooked before adding the crust. :)
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    looks delicicous - and the view is a killer.
    i am lost here, why do you need to make a dough to surround the tenderloin ?

thanks
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Beli,

That looks, smells, and tastes fantastic. Did a little esmelling and etasting.

Not sure if I understand the sequence. Was the sequence

1) Sear it
    2) Rest it
    3) Cold smoke it
    4) Dough it
    5) Cook it
    6) Enjoy it

Maybe it's too early in the day for me.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Beli, beautiful as always. I always check your posts as the views you show us are breathtaking thanks for all the posting you do! OH yah and the food too! :blush: Julie in Maine
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Beli,

That's wonderful! I wish that my cooker could get that low...it sits at 100+ degrees without anything burning inside! Maybe in the winter I can experiment with the cold smoking.

Thanks for sharing,
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    You're a gourmet cook. I can see it now...."Beli's Restaurant", 5 star. ;)
    Nice job of cold smokin the beef.
    Roasted raspberry chipotle sauce....ooooooo that sounds good.

Nice set of pictures on a gourmet dinner to see this morning, thanks for sharing!
  • Beli
    Options
    Thank you Frank. Good question, actually the first thing is to make the dough and then letting the dough rest for about 4+ hrs,so I would add this to your sequence. Bente put it very clear:

you make the dough
    rest the dough
    setup egg for cold smoking
    sear loin
    rest loin
    light egg for cold smoking
    cold smoke meat
    add lump and setup for bread at 400 degrees
    roll tenderloin in dough
    place on stone
    roast until 125 internall
    slice enjoy
  • Beli
    Options
    Thanks Julie, appreciate it. The camera does really most of the photographic work, and my wife Loren does a lot of the preparations inside.....so probably I have it very easy.. :laugh:
  • Beli
    Options
    Flavour I suppose. The seasoning goes in the dough,and then transferred to the meat in a very subtle way when you cook it, the flavours blend in evenly. Also as the meat is seared and encased, it helps to keep its moisture and the tenderness which is outstanding.
  • Beli
    Options
    Here are a few tips from the Naked Whiz on cold smoking Mike.

http://nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm
  • Beli
    Options
    Those are the most encouraging words...great to start the day... :laugh: :laugh: ...Thanks my friend. Yes the flavour was great, the smoking just very subtle and definitely a very tender.... tenderloin.
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS. My friend, that`s the true spirit gathering with family & friends.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    man that looks like a fun project that will produce great results.... ;)

i was reading the other posts and when you and frank were doing your step by step yours said
    1) Making dough
    2) Rest it
    3) Sear it
    4) Rest it
    5) Dough it
    6) Cook it
    7) Enjoy it

and so i went back and looked at your steps in the recepie (which i saved by the way) and i did not see where your directions said about the whole cold smoking process.. i have smoked cheese before
    EGGER022508002.jpg

so what i have deducted from everything is
    you make the dough
    rest the dough
    setup egg for cold smoking
    sear loin
    rest loin
    light egg for cold smoking
    cold smoke meat
    add lump and setup for bread at 400 degrees
    roll tenderloin in dough
    place on stone
    roast until 125 internall
    slice enjoy

is that how it goes?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beli
    Options
    You are absolutely right Bente. TKS. Already edited my post. All the best!!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Thanks Beli - Sure looks nice.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks i wanted to make sure i had it right in my recepie book... now i got to work up the courage to try it ;)

i may try that this football season

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beli
    Options
    TKS Frank. The flavour was great. The meat was a present from my inlaws who brought it from the State of Sonora, well known in México for its superior meat quality.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    you got to be kidding me...
    awesome