Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fused My Egg Shut!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I didn't get by the hardware store that sells my lump charcoal before it closed. So, I decided to throw the Kingsford I had lying around into the BGE to cook smoke a chicken...then I fell asleep.

When I woke up, the BGE was practically a volcano and the temp gauge was pinned at 750degrees. So, I just closed it up to let it cool down. It did. Yes, it did cool down, and so did the gaskets that had melted when the BGE was hot enough forge steel.

At any rate, did a quick search online, and it would seem that I need to hacksaw the thing open. I'm praying that this works. Please, anyone who's had experience with this, PLEASE, give me any advice that you think might be helpful. I can't lose my Big Green Egg.

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    What is the temp of your egg now?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Light some lump and drop in it in through the top. It''ll warm the egg and possibly the gasket will release. Use a large sturdy putty knife and help work it loose. You may have to replace the gasket, but you'll be fine after that. If you want me to talk you through it, E me you phone number and I'll call you.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,164
    Yo Big'un, that might not work too well if he has the grid in place. Might try going through the bottom.....just a suggestion! :lol:
  • Big'un
    True, Haha. He never said he got the chicken on there, so maybe no grid yet. :lol:
  • Temp inside the egg is at ambient, since I fell asleep after I closed it up as well. Unfortunately, the grill is in there.

So, the consensus is that I should try heating the thing up again and prying it open? Wouldn't I have to heat it up to the temp where the gaskets melted originally (+750degrees)?
  • Won't I have to heat the egg up to the temp (+750degrees) where the gaskets melted in the first place? Tried a little prying earlier, but I didn't want to chip the ceramic.
  • Ok, unless anyone's certain that there's a better way to do it, I'm headed down to the hardware store to find a hacksaw that'll do the job. Hopefully I won't do anything else stupid like saw off an arm or break the egg.

Please post any definitive, alternative recommendations ASAP.

Wish me luck!
  • Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Worked around the edged with my field knife and found the sweet spot just shy of where the hinge connects. Just twisted the knife slightly and the thing popped right open.

So, if you fuse your egg shut, make sure to try a little light prying all the way around the egg before you opt for the hacksaw or blowtorch or hand grenade.

Anyway, thanks, guys, and GET OUT THERE AND COOK TODAY!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Grats gwopy..hope you're gasket is still useable..
  • Do I really need the gasket? I can tell by the sound, there's not the same cushion when I close it, but it there any harm to using the egg without a gasket that's 100%...or even 20% in this case?
  • Big'un
    No it won't have to get thathot. BUt you'll have to get some heat going inside. It seems it's moot point now, anyway.
  • as they say on other boards, This thread is worthless without pictures.

Well, not worthless, but pics would have been fun to see. Glad you got it open and hope you can replace the gasket and get cookin' again.

I caught my BGE at 650 the other day, gasket intact. Sounds like I avoided a disaster.

BTW, when you T REX a steak, do you leave the dome open the whole time (heat up and cooking)??
  • Pictures wouldn't have done any good. When it was fused shut it didn't look like anything other than a BGE that was shut. When I got it open, the gasket just looked charred.

Don't think that 650 degrees would have done it. I think it was the charcoal briquettes, that burn a bit hotter then lump charcoal. I'm guessing that my BGE got well above 750 degree for a while, but I don't know how high it got.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Lump burns much hotter than briquettes. FYI
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • gwopy
    gwopy Posts: 29
    I've let the BGE run wide open with lump a bunch of times in order to burn the finish off some caste iron cookware.

The first time I let the thing open up with briquettes, it fuses. I think the experimental evidence is on my side. :)