Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig's Almost Fried Wings

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Taking them to a party tonight. First time I've ever done them, so I had ribs as a stand-by just in case the wings didn't turn out. Well, they did! OMG! These things are really great. I made a sauce and sauced half of them. The other half is bound to satisfy too.

I have one question. Dizzy recommends that they be cooked direct and with the use of a raised grid, up in the dome, which I did. First time I've ever done that except with ribs (which are indirect). What does that do? Why is it so much better when cooked farther away from the coals? Wouldn't indirect accomplish the same thing?

I ain't arguing. They have earned a permanent place in my little repetoire of stuff I like to cook.

Sorry, no pix tonight. Kinda late for the party.

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    If you put them on the standard grid, they will burn. The raised grid keeps them farther away from the flame, thus rendering the fat, but will still allow you to crisp up. Wings are almost impossible to screw up. I've also used different variations like DP uses. I've tried Captain Crunch, Cheerios, soda crackers in place of the flour. Wonder how Cocoa Puffs would taste...Hmmmmmm?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I always cook them indirect, because I like A LOT of them and use both grids. :woohoo:
    wings2.jpg

Mike
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Makes sence. Thanks. Ever use Ritz Crackers? We use it on oven baked chicken. By the way, this was my first Tsunami Spin, and I'm sold!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Oh no! Now I gotta go out and see if I can find one of those cool little cast iron pots. What a nice thing to show folks at a party when you open the dome and give 'em a peek!

By the way, Mike. I took your advice on re-heating the ribs today, after taking them thru the sauce stage last Wednesday. 8 Ounces of apple juice/vinegar over a 250* egg for about 1/2 hour. They're just as good today as they were Wednesday nite. Thanks.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    LOL Walmart carries them around here. $10 It is cool and if guests want a hot sauce, dip their wings in there. I also use it for garlic butter for bread sticks/scallops and other things. It really is handy and the guests do love it when you open the egg.
    Welcome on the ribs, that is the only way I reheat when catering.

Mike
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    That's a good cook. I remember doing some of those last year, and I was having to turn the wings every few minutes or so. I wanted to do them indirect, but the instructions stated direct.

They came out OK, I just wish that I had more seasoning in the flour mix, because I didn't put anything on the wings before just in case they'd turn out too salty.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    His recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of Tsunami Spin. Well, you know those little sample pouches of different rubs, that Dizzy sends with an order? I doug around and found one. So, I got to actually use the rub he recommends. It was great, but I'm like you...I'd put a little more in the flour and corn meal, and maybe a little more salt. I'll get it perfect one of these days. I'll be ordering some Tsunami Spin for sure.