Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRISKET-THON? Any interest?

bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that more Eggheads are on the forum, lets try this again.
I know Grandpas Grub is going to do a brisket this weekend. I also plan on one too so I thought, maybe do a Brisket-thon. Why not get a few Eggheads together and share our brisket cooks. Things you may want to post.
The weight of your brisket and type of brisket (packer etc)
Pics of your prep, half way point, and finish. Type of rub, finish sauce. Foil or no foil. How many hours per pound? notes on Pit temp and meat temp per hour. Could be a great learning tool for those who have never done one. Could also make for some good postings. But most of all, this could be fun. To make this even more fun we could agree to a plating time of 3pm, 4pm, or 5pm, this Sunday.
Any takers out there? AS IF YOU NEEDED AN EXCUSE TO SMOKE A BRISKET, but if you do, this could be a good one. :whistle::whistle:
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    bubba, that is a smashing idea, wish I had a brisket to thon with, but the egg's menue is already set for the entire weekend, maybe next time
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • bubba tim
    Hey it was a thought. I guess it will be Kent and myself.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Tim, I'm in.

My plating time is going to be 2 - 3 pm your 4 to 5 pm.

This is all dependent on the breaks on the jeep cherokee and I. So far the jeep is winning.

There has got to be someone else there who is doing brisket that will jump in.

If I can find one I am shooting for a large packer.

GG
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i put a 4.8 lb flat on about twenty minutes ago....

i'm using EVOO, kosher salt, garlic salt, raising the steaks & cow lick steak as my rub....

cooking fat side down with bacon slices covering the top. i've got the dome temp at about 235 and i'm hoping i can make some progress before the sky falls out....

i'm not sure the weather is going to co-operate. worst case scenario, i hope to get at least three hours on the egg and if it gets too bad, i'll have to finish it inside (criminal, i know)....

damn you fay.

i'll post pics later.... this is my first brisket.....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Hope things will work out for staying in the egg...

I am going out to attack the brakes very soon now, then the brisket.

Kent
  • deepsouth
    i have improvised....

art002le9.jpg

art003vr7.jpg

art004mx7.jpg

looks like i finally found a use for that lump starter i never use!

i hope this works.
  • deepsouth
    by the way, when that is done, should i be slicing the direction of the bacon (long ways) or against it (across it).

(does that make sense?)
  • Grandpas Grub
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There you go Jason!!! It nice to have some great minds available.

Perfect use for that starter and a great rain cap to boot. I am going to change mine to the same.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    It doesn't matter with regard to the bacon.

However, cut the brisket against the grain.

Kent
  • bubba tim
    Hi Kent, The wife had the lab top most of the day. I have a 12 lbs Angus Brisket mustarded and rubed up. It has been wraped and on ice in the cooler since 1330 est.
    I will be putting the beast on at 2100 est with a grate temp of 240. 1.5 hours per pound is where I will start, should finish at 4pm.
  • D*^mn. I blew off going to the butcher shop for a brisket and they just closed. Maybe I'll just get any help I can from what you guys do for when I do attempt my first brisket.

good luck to everyone.
  • deepsouth
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    It doesn't matter with regard to the bacon.

However, cut the brisket against the grain.

Kent

(sounding like a fool).... that would be across the bacon, right????
  • deepsouth
    well, it's been on seven and a half hours nearly and the internal temp has risen from 165 to 175 in the last hour and a half. looks like i may be getting there. the rain has thus far held off.
  • bubba tim
    I would say you are getting close. What is you grate temp at? If it is higher than 230 I would ramp it down to about 215.
  • Grandpas Grub
    deepsouth,

Possibly, but the grain may run a different direction than the bacon. Make a cut an look which way the grain runs. Then if necessary change the direction you are cutting.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I am down an out with regard to brisket...

See my post further up. It is with your mini post above.

Kent
  • bubba tim
    I am lucky that I can shop at the Restaurant Depot. It is kinda like a HD but for food. It is not open to the public. Too bad you could not find a packer. I woke up at 0400 and had 230 degrees grate and internal of 165.
    I did a quick peek and I have shrinkage. I had to elevate the center to get the brisket to fit on the Egg.
    Removed the rib rack that I used for elevation and have the brisket laying flat. Another nine more hours. 1/2 way there.
  • bubba tim
    It is 8am here in sunny (finaly) Hollywood, Fl. The brisket has been on since 9pm last night. Gave the beast it's first apple jucie spritz. Meat temp on the digi indicated 190. I think the probe may need to be adjusted. Pit is maintained at 230 degrees. All is good in Hollywood! Hey, a new bubba-izum is born.
  • bubba tim
    Sorry, not fully firing on all cylinders. This is how the post should have come out:

It is 8am here in sunny (finaly) Hollywood, Fl. The brisket has been on since 9pm last night. Gave the beast it's first apple jucie spritz. Meat temp on the digi indicated 190. I think the probe may need to be adjusted. Pit is maintained at 230 degrees.
    P1280001.jpg
    All is good in Hollywood! Hey, a new bubba-izum is born.
  • bubba tim
    At 10am, pit 230, meat probe reposititoned, meat temp 190. First moping with finishing sauce. The point is fork tender. They will make for some good burnt ends. Shutting down the Egg at 11am, Mopping every 30 mins.
    Plan to pull at noon.
  • bubba tim
    12.5 lbs, 15 hours, NO FOIL, and tender. I have a full belly and half a bubba keg down. It is nap time!
    P1290002.jpg
    Special thanks to thirdeye. Never did fat side down before. Me likes! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
  • Grandpas Grub
    As I said in another post - fantastic pictures, congratulations!!! Looks like you nailed it.
    Kent