Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Age Of A BGE

safetyman
safetyman Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking at buying a used BGE. The top ig not spring loaded, it has a hinge on the back and folding arms on the side. The handle for the top is not solidly attached but it pivots on a rod. It is green in color and the top cap is marked Big Green Egg. Would anyone know about how old it might be and if it is ceramic or clay. The owner got it from another person and it has only been used 3 times.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Im guessing it may be like one of mine. pic below. mine is 25yrs old and is clay. you can't cook any higher than about 375F, or it will crack, notice the repairs on mine from my son's first solo attempt. HTH. How much are they asking for it?

DSCI0012-7.jpg
  • It's on e-bay and it is a large and has a table. I bid $300 for it. It looked like it was greener in color but it has the handle like is on yours. I didn't think about it being clay, till after I bid on it. I didn't know when they quit making the handle and hinge system like yours has, if it was before or after ceramic came out. Thanks for getting back to be. I should just take the plunge for a new one and build a table.
  • The change from a hinge to a spring assisted mechanism, and the change from the pivoting handle to a rigid handle is less than 10 years old. My brother has a medium BGE that is as you've described. He's had his for about 10 years. It's ceramic. Here's a pic of his. His mini is less than a year old.

Tomstable.jpg
  • Big'un
    Sometimes you can great deals by going to a fest and buying a demo.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I just bought one like that last week. Put a new SS draft door on, new hinge ass'y, cleaned it up and put it in a used nest I had. Here 'tis after modifications :

NewEgg.jpg

I didn't pay nearly as much as you bid, though. I think that's way too much for one like this considering the upgrades you'll want to do.
  • Big'un
    You did such a great job on restoring it too!

I'm sorry I missed your bread cooking class. Everyone I talked to, was really impressed with the job you did. I wish I could have made it.
  • here is my medium with stainless steel hardware

of=50,332,443
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Thank you for that, buddy! See you in October I hope! :laugh:
  • I'm in Michigan and there aren't any 'fests that close, Chicago area being the closest.My son goes to college at Life University in Marrietta, Ga. and we were thinking of going to the Eggtoberfest and get one there, it wasn't too cost effective.
  • That is the one other than having a stainless vent on it. Thanks one and all for the information, I'll have to wait and see how I come out in the bidding process.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    That's a nice table. Your brother's new mini is right at home next to Grandpa egg. Very nice indeed,..... now to get the final part, a bottle opener.
    ;)
  • Great idea! Except in his case it needs to be a cork screw...he's a wino like me.
  • I went out to eBay and looked at it. I think it's just like my brother's. Not sure about the black bottom vent. Might just be paint. I'd ask. It's a nice table too. I think you'd be fine with it. My brother recently replaced his stainless steel door, his fire grate (on the bottom), and a standard (enameled) cooking grate. His acts just like a new one. In fact, he's never replaced his gasket. They must have used something better back then.

Hope you win it.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Greaseball, I LOVE your setup, and the view. I bet you love it there.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I enjoy wine also, drank half a bottle of Concannon merlot last evening with dinner...... How about your brother bolting down one of those table cork extractors with a big lever, then carve a custom handle for it. Now THAT would be cool. B)
  • I am so proud that Dynagreaseball, my bro, put my eggs and table on the FORUM ! FYI, the stainless vent used to be black steel, which rusted pretty badly, the grates in the firebox used to be ceramic, and died about every other year. I had to buy new iron one, daisy wheel top, grill, but have original gasket, although a little thin....It's 11 years old, and cooks butt like a new one. I hope you have the luck with your new one that I have enjoyed.
  • Thanks, Ron. That's actually my brother's house in the mountains of North Georgia. I helped him rebuild his old table so it would accomodate both eggs. You can see his 10 year-old wood behind the brand new Home Depot 2 x 4's.

His house is on the side of a steep mountain--no one above him, and no one below. It's quite a view across the valley to what he calls 'his' mountain.

I'm in Charlotte, NC, where we have an abundance of telephone poles and wires across the street for our view.
  • Now THAT's a great idea. In fact, I'm going to see if I can beat him to it. Although, I have been known to tilt a longneck as well. I need both.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    egret said:
    I just bought one like that last week. Put a new SS draft door on, new hinge ass'y, cleaned it up and put it in a used nest I had. Here 'tis after modifications :

NewEgg.jpg

I didn't pay nearly as much as you bid, though. I think that's way too much for one like this considering the upgrades you'll want to do.
    My large is a 1993 and has the black vent door.  When you put the SS on this egg, did the holes for bolts all line up or did you need to make adjustments?
    My handle like that rotted and fell off.  I've replaced the band/hinges.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Paging @egret

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.