Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket (4.8 lb beef brisket flat) questions.

deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
searched the forum and maybe i'm dumb, but i couldn't find the info i was looking for.....

looked like sam's club had been raided and all they had were a couple of these, so i grabbed one. not a single pork butt in the whole store.....

i have no experience with a brisket on an egg.... it's not real thick and it's not real big and i have no clue what to do with it. it's meaty on one side and has a fat cap (i guess that's what it's called) on the other side.

would love some help with seasonings and cook time. i'm assuming i cook indirect with the fat cap facing the top of the egg.

this is where i get dumber.....

thanks in advance.

prost.

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    greetings,
    small flats are not a mystery. the way i do them is fat down, indirect, 250 grate temp, whatever spices you like. try your first one with just salt and pepper. with a flat i usually put a layer of bacon on to keep it moist. 1.5 to 2hrs per lb. don't be frustrated if your first one doesn't turn out perfect. i cook mine until internal of 195-200 then foil and place in the warn playmate for the rest period.
    DSC_9753.jpg
    DSC_9756.jpg
    DSC_9758.jpg
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    deepsouth at my Costco they almost never have the pork buts out in the meat case and I have to ask for them. They come in a vac seald bag two in bag. I looked two times before I asked Guess it's like asking for directions. :blink:
    Can't help with the flat.
    Good luck Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I've done them with the fat cap both ways. Seems to be a real important thing for a lot of folks, but I can't tell any difference. I wouldn't refuse a serving of Slotmercenary's brisket. That's for sure.

I've been told that the single most important thing about doing successful briskets is the quality of the cut of meat. Gotta buy Choice or better.

Don't be surprised if during the process the internal temperature of the brisket actually drops about 5 or 6 degrees before it starts back up out of the plateau.
  • deepsouth
    cool. that helps. it does say USDA Choice, so i'm good their, even if by accident.
  • I have tried many different ways, and what I find works the best is, after it gets throught the plateau, which is usually in the 160's, I wrap it in foil and let it go to 195-205. An internal temp of 195 or better makes it tender. The ones that I have not foiled were much drier than the ones in foil. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    thanks Dyna,
    this is the way i like mine most of the time.Jalapeno cheese buns with a little LTM and man that is good eatin.After i burn out the rest goes in the freezer for beans.
    DSC_9764.jpg
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Here are two good links for Brisket. All the info you received so far has been spot on. I'm not trying to add to the confusion, just that brisket has been my "Holy Grail" of cooks. You can do everything just perfect and still end up with a not so perfect piece of beef. Just have to keep trying and learning.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

Good luck
  • boy, an anatomy lesson in link 2.
    cows must be different. in us humans, supraspinatus is part of our rotator cuff, above the scapular (shoulder blade) spine in back and attaching to our humerus near the shoulder joint; not near the sternum/intercostal muscles. I'm gonna have to "bone" up on cow anatomy.
  • do you add beef broth (if so, what kind?) when foiled?
  • deepsouth
    Egg-on-Medford wrote:
    do you add beef broth (if so, what kind?) when foiled?

thanks for all the great info so far.....
    interested in knowing about the broth as well.

so far what i've gathered.... (exceptions are the norm of course)...

probably going to go with some combo of DP seasonings with salt and some garlic slices perhaps...
    fat side down
    bacon on top
    225 target temp
    maybe ramp it up a bit at the end
    double wrap in foil
    wrap in towel
    cooler for 1-2 hours....

if i'm eating this the next day instead will that be ok??? i'll taste it of course....

can i put it in the refrigerator at that point?

reheat in egg???

am i screwing up at this point?
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Wow! I was getting ready to post an identical question. My wife picked up a 5.5 pound brisket from sams. This will be my first brisket and my madden voyage for my digiQ. I was going to marinade it in a beer based or red wine marinade and cook for 7-10 hours at 200-225.

Kokeman
  • No, I don't add anything, but that may be a good idea. When I foil ribs I add apple juice, and that ssems to work wonders.
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    I've seen several posts refering brisket cookers to this site. All reviews have been positive, with most saying its a hard to screw up method.

http://www.bbqcamper.com/Beef-Brisket.php

good luck

allen
  • Reddog
    Reddog Posts: 9
    Just started a 4.5 lbs how long should I let it cook at 200 to 225
  • Eric
    Eric Posts: 2
    If you're cooking your brisket fat side up, indirect heat woud be a good idea, else you will likely char the bottom of the meat, even at the low temperature at which brisket is smoked. As to how long to cook it, my response would be: when the internal temperature of the brisket reaches 190-195°.
    Here's another trick, although I'm sure I'll get a lot of heat from the purists out there: I use a Jaccard meat tenderizer. This is a device available at most cookware stores that consists of a number of very small blades that are inserted into the meat, thereby shortening fiber length. It will take a relatively tough piece of meat and tenderize it quickly. Some say that the hundreds of small holes in the meat resulting juices dripping out, thereby leading to a drier, tougher piece of meat, but that has not been my experience. It also significantly shortens cooking time on the brisket. And I still get a beautiful red ring in the meat. Oh yes, and I'm a newbie -- just got my BGE three weeks ago, so my experience is rather limited, but everything I've cooked on there so far has been spectacular.
  • Are you a single row or double row repair guy? Transosseous?????? :laugh: :laugh: