Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Potato

Moocowtex
Moocowtex Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I swear I read a recipe on this forum a few months ago for cedar plank potatoes. It was something like 4 regular/1 sweet potato baked then mashed, mixed with other stuff. Scooped onto cedar planks and finished off on the egg. Sound familiar to anyone? If not, I'll just give it a go and see what I get. I really need to print these recipes off when I see them!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is my version, there are many variations.

Potatoes, Mashed, Cedar-Planked, POYAMS, (Potatoes/Yams). Richard Fl

POYAMSVEGGIESBREAD.jpg

Thanks to the recipes from Smokin' Lady and IBeeSmok'n, I have made this great side dish of mashed potatoes and yams. POYAMS!!.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes
    1 Large Yam
    Butter
    Sour Cream
    Parmesan Cheese
    Bacon Bits
    Garlic Cloves, Cooked in foil pouch on BGE if time allows and mixed in..
    OR Garlic Powder
    Salt/Pepper
    Parsley/Chives for garnish
    Cedar Planks

Procedure:
    1 Peel the potatoes and yams. Cut into small pieces, 1 1/2 inch or so. Boil for 12-15 minutes, not mushy. Mash or use a potato ricer. Mix in melted butter, garlic, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon bits, seasoning.
    2 Take pre-soaked cedar planks , an hour or so, and put poyams on them. Place in BGE 350 indirect for 30-40 minutes. Remove add butter, parsley/chives and serve.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 30 minutes
    Cooking time: 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/05/25

2008/06/23
    Slick There's another version floating around that uses ranch dressing, cream, cheddar cheese, and string cheese. I made them last week without the string cheese, added some garlic, fresh chives, and parsley. My wife and I both agreed that they were the best we ever tasted. The ranch dressing adds alot of flavor. I want to try it next time with sweet potatoes in the mix as previously suggested. You really don't need to worry about how much of each to add. Really depends on how many potatoes you have. I used about 2/3 Ranch dressing to 1/3 cream. The creamy salad dressing idea has me thinking that anything on hand would work, such as bleu cheese or parmesan peppercorn. Even if I don't plank them, I know that future mashed potatoes will no longer be "ordinary". Slick
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    Heres how i do it :

Take some leftover roasted garlic and chipotle mashed potatoes. Add some grated cheddar, aged westlite cheese cubes and some italian herbs, mix it up good and put in the fridge overnight.

57_s_011_Small_3.jpg

Set the potato ball on the preheated plank and cook for 20-30 minutes ( i added some salmon later on)

57_s_033_Small_2.jpg

57_s_035_Small_2.jpg

57_s_041_Small_1.jpg

57_s_044_Small_2.jpg

That stuff is highly addictive and a real show.
    You can also make smaller individual serving portions.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    just mix what you have and then refridgerate them a few hours while the planks soak, the refridgeration dries them up a bit and makes it easier to form on the plank. last ones i did were potatoes, parmasian,asiago, cheddar shredded, cream, bluecheese dressing, salt pepper garlic chives butter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You've got the recipe. I like to top mine with a lot of extra parmesan, paprika, and parsley.

Cherry wood for smoke will give it a very nice color.

TatersOn800.jpg

TatersDone800.jpg
  • Here is my favourite mashed potatoes recipe that I posted a few months ago. Sounds like people have their own take on it, and they all sound good. This one was borrowed from King of the Q's Blue Plate BBQ book.

CEDAR-PLANKED MASHED POTATOES

2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes
    4 cloves garlic, mined
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 tsp. salt
    6 tbsp. softened unsalted butter
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    1/4 cup ranch dressing
    1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese
    4 cheese strings, cut in 1/2" pieces
    2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
    salt fresh ground pepper to taste

Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add garlic, onion and salt and cook till tender. Drain and mash. Stir in butter, cream and ranch dressing. Cool for 20 minutes, then stir in cheeses, parsley, s&p; mix well. Transfer to large bowl; cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. When ready to grill, mound chilled mashed potatoes on a cedar plank that was soaked for at least 1 hour. Firmly pat and smooth into shape. Heat egg to 400 degrees; place plank on egg and close lid. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and hot all the way through. Carefully remove plank and transfer to a heat-resistant platter. Serve with extra butter and serve. NOTE: I have made these without putting in fridge for the whole 24 hours, but the extra time really helps to combine flavours.
  • Yes! That's it! I'm off to scrub potatoes. Thanks for the help.
  • Hey Don,that looks like a brinkman not an egg,What"s up with that :woohoo: . :):)
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    Actually, thats a probbq excel 20... :whistle:

I dont have an egg yet.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    why not?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    He's in Germany (or in the neighborhood) and the price of the BGE is about 3x what it is here.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    OK, I can cut him some slack. My bad.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Check out this thread..a difference in competetive BBQ cooking across the pond.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=495255&catid=1
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    All these recipes and photos sound and look absolutely decadent. I will definitely be giving this a try, probably tomorrow (Saturday). I like blue cheese in my twice-baked, which seems similar, but the ranch dressing sounds good too.

On that cherry planked one, is there something sprinkled on top or does the cherry really give it that much color on top?

The best part is I can still use the skins to make potato skin appetizers!
  • Moocowtex, thanks for this post. My daughter gave me some planks for Dad's Day and we have yet to use them. We do plan on doing Plank Potatoes on Sunday and these look great. I did a search for Plank Potato yesterday and was able to pull some good receipes, but the one of Don Marco's looks like a winner to me. I will let you know.
    Grasshopper
  • Rod,

Those look awesome.

I definitely need to try that.

Greg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    On that cherry planked one, is there something sprinkled on top or does the cherry really give it that much color on top?

I think you're asking about mine. They were on a cedar plank, but I used cherry chunks in the lump.

There is a light sprinkling of paprika on there, which is the red you are seeing in the first photo.

Sorry if I added any confusion.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    temp and how long on the salmon
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• looks like a good reference. copied/pasted into my BGE word file.
  • wow. had to show that one to my wife--she agreed it looked good. another project to add to the list. gotta get some planks.
  • Well, dinner is finished and we went with the poyams. Didn't have all listed ingredients handy, so I improvised a little. All I have to say is, whoever first thought of doing these potatoes on a cedar plank deserves some kind of award. The ribs, chicken, and brisket I've learned to do on the Egg have all been really good, but these potatoes!! The guests were curled up on the floor sobbing with every bite in sheer ecstasy. Thanks to all the egghead peeps for another great recommendation.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i don't understand going indirect. is the cedar simply for looks?

does it smoke at all when indirect?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Avoids the strong smoke that some of our "SENIOR" citizen friends do not like.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    What is Westlite cheese? I am making this right now, sans Westlite cheese but I think I have enough other cheese that it will be okay! But I am curious and wondering if it's a regional thing.