Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a pork loin about 2lbs. Plan to cook @ 325*. My question is should I cook it direct or indirect.....Thanks for the help..MikeS.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    loin13-5.jpg
    <p />MikeS.,[p]You can do either - indirect will give you a much less seared outside while the direct way will produce a black seared outside. It takes a good while to get it up to 145-147° internal temp so going direct will really sear it a lot. I have always done mine indirect - as pictured.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Thanks Tim. A cook book I have said about 2 hrs to reach 170* but I plan to go to 150*.....

• Mike in New England
    Options
    MikeS.,[p]I've done a few loins in the past. What I like to do, is to smoke it, indirect, to about 140 internal. Take it off and let it sit for 30mins. I then slice it into pieces about 1inch thick, and grill over direct heat for a couple of minutes each side. This adds some nice color, grill marks.. etc., as well as crisps up the edges. [p]I have done this as an appetizer by slicing the 1inch slices into 1inchx1inch strips, "pork fingers", if you will. Grill these up over direct heat for color and place on a try with a dipping sauce or two. These will go fast!

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    MikeS.,
    Those old 'guides' are whacked. For pork, if they are cuts from the loin region of the hog, 140-145 is generally plenty-- loin chops, tenderloin, loin roast etc.. the main 'bug' affecting these cuts, if present, is trichnea..killed at 137°F; go to 140-145 and you are enjoying a premium cut at its best.
    As per your original question; I like to cook them indirect to the 135-140 range and then give a quick 3-4 minutes direct each side to give that sear that TimM is talking about. Some folks prefer a sear to start and then go direct, but from what I've read and heard, it's actually best to do the searing at the end of a cook, rather than the beginning.
    Qfan

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tim M, you covered it well. I like to put mine on direct at 500-600 for a few moments (5 minutes a side) with some wood chips and then let it settle down to about 350 and cook indirect. It's enough to get a pretty good "crust" on the outside without getting the black/charred look that my wife doesn't like ("I don't want to see any pink on the inside but I don't want it burned on the outside.")

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    MikeS.,[p]Well, just to add my two pennies, I typically do my pork loins direct about 325 or so. I've cooked them completely indirect but always feel that the meat gets a "mushy" texture to it. Once I started cooking them direct that seemed to go away. I've never tried the indirect cook with the direct sear at the beginning or the end. I like the crustier outside that the direct cook gives but I do make sure that I turn the loin about 3-4 times during the cook to get all of the sides evenly crusty and not burned. What everyone is saying about the temps is right on, take it to about 140 and take it off the grill, any more than that and you're just drying out the meat. Good luck, a well cooked pork loin is hard to beat.[p]Troy
  • MikeS.,I put mine on a V rack with a drip pan and cook it at 300 to 325. Turns out great everytime.

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Mike in New England,
    That sounds interesting, kind of like a pork steak? When you grill the 1 inch thick slices, do you use the higher, 500 degree+ temps or something lower?[p]One last question: After slicing and before grilling, do you season it with any rub or just throw it on?[p]Bob

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MikeS.,[p]Yes, I agree. The 170 is the Dry and over-done Gov't temp standard from 1920. Anything over approx 140° is safe. I like the 150° range myself. [p]Tim
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    sprinter:[p]I am like you; I like them cooked direct. I always do a little sear on the front side, as I am afraid that I will overshoot my internal if I sear at the end of the cook. For a treat, do like Mike in NE suggests - pull at 140º, rest (I let it rest for about five minutes) thick slice and give them a short, hot grilling. Brushing the slices with Yoshida's before grilling ads a nice touch.[p]I picked up the slice and grill technique from drbbq . . . Adds a new dimension to the late Bill Miller's Santa Fe Cured Pork Loin in the recipe section.
  • Mike in New England
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]I don't have an egg. I use a propane grill. High temps, direct, for only a few minutes. Any longer and you run the risk of drying it out too much. Sometimes, I'll dust the pieces with whatever rub I used on the loin, overnight. Sometimes, just the slices as they are.