Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs First Time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I smoked some Sweet Kansas Barbeque Ribs they were the best, except for one thing. I inverted the v rack and put them in the slots. The problem was the part of the ribs at the bottom in the drip pan got really black and hard. The rest of the ribs turned out great.[p]FYI Had them on for 3-4 hours at 275.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    cward,[p]That is why I flip mine half way thru the cooking -- some don't but I like them done evenly.[p]Tim
  • Tim M, It seems like the part that sits in the greese at the bottom of the drip pan gets more fried then smoked?

• Tim M
    Options
    6-11.jpg
    <p />cward,[p]I think you left something out of the 1st post. What grease? Did you have them in an aluminium pan too?? Here is my rib rack with 6 racks of baby backs. I can put this over a drip pan and cook indirect but you don't want the ribs touching the grease. The use of a plate setter or firebricks or a pan with another grid on top of it works to keep the ribs up out of the grease.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Those look pretty nice! I used a drip pan but didnt put anything in the bottom so the ribs just sat in the bottom of the drip pan. I dont see a drip pan on your ribs???? Did you use one? I thought you had to?

• Tim M
    Options
    ribset1.jpg
    <p />cward,[p]You don't have to. Doing them in the pocture is a direct method. I prefer an indirect method which would use a drip pan or setter or firebricks. Going indirect allows higher temps to be used without burning the food. It speeds up cooking somewhat, but allowing the ribs to cook a longer time allows the fat to render out. [p]Here is a picture of an old style plate setter with drip pan under the main cooking grid. Firebricks work too. The setter just makes it much easier to set up. Cook at 275° dome or maybe 300°.[p]Tim
  • Tim M, Can I use cinder bricks, the same material cinder blocks are made of? Or plain old regular house bricks? If not, do you know where to get fire bricks? Appreciate the help.

• Tim M
    Options
    cward,[p]I wouldn't, they could explode or atleast crack like a clay brick. Firebricks are used to line steel wood stoves or fireplace inserts - so check fireplace stores or brick yards.[p]Plate setters are sold by Bge - call them and order one and get a good pizza stone from them too. [p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Thanks for all the help.