Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - SALSA

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be up late tonight. My canner holds 7 pints. Got a beer butt on the small for later!
DSCN2266.jpg

DSCN2268.jpg

DSCN2271.jpg

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Salsa is never OT for me. That looks tasty.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Must be season for tomato peach, fig, zuccinni and any other fruits and veggies. Just made a batch for a party tomorrow.

Salsa, Pico de Gallo, Ricard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    6-8 Whole Tomatoes
    1 Medium Red Onion
    1 Bunch Cilantro, Fresh
    1 Can Green Chilis, Diced, Ortegas/El Paso or similiar
    1-2 Whole Jalapenos, Fresh
    1 Whole Juice, Fresh Lime
    2 Ozs. Wine Vinegar
    1 Dash Cayenne Pepper
    Fresh Ground Pepper, To Taste
    1/2 Oz. Cuervo Gold, Tequila, To Taste, Optional
    2-4 Ozs. Chili Rings, Yellow, Hot, Diced, Optional

Procedure:
    1 Take tomatoes and cut in half against the stem, remove the seeds and any juices, discard seeds and juices. Dice in 1/4 inch pieces, sprinkle with a little salt and let set for 30 minutes to remove more juices. Prior to doing this if you desire lightly roast the whole tomatoe to remove the skin, gas burner or grill is best, then do the some thing but keep some of the burnt skin for flavor and texture.
    2 Finely dice red onion, jalapenos, chop cilantro, leaves only.
    3 Mix all ingredients, best the next day. Will keep refrigerated about a week if not eaten first This is the way we like it but play around for your taste buds, there are choices for each palate.

Yield: Variable
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Ready in: 45 minutes

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Salsa

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, AKA "RIRI" ,1988

Source: Richard Howe, 05/25/88
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    nice set up ... you got the cart for the large as a christmas present???

bill
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    I also make salsa. Mine will make around 7 quarts. Care to trade recipes? Your's look really good.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    I did not measure anything but used most of those things. Guess I am going to have to go to the medicine store and get me some tequila :laugh: :laugh:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    That is one word I can understand well, and yours looks just great.....is the yellow colour yellow pepper?
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Salsa is never OT Susan..I havent tried a butt on my small yet...how many times you have to add lump while doing one?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Now that's a dipping bowl! :woohoo: That salsa looks great! It has a great color. Nice job!
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    bill wrote:
    nice set up ... you got the cart for the large as a christmas present???

bill
    That is my second set of wheels and I am still not happy :angry:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The charred tomatoes and peppers really enhance the flavaor.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    why ?, not sturdy ??? not big enough?? or color :laugh: ?
    and where have you looked/shopped ?
    bill
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    BamaFan: I did not use a recipe just went in the garden and used what I had. I am sure everyone would love a good salsa recipe!

Richard Fl : I will have a second batch of tomatoes coming in SOON! I will give it a try! THANKS!

Beli: The yellow things are tomatoes, my pepper plants were hugh not many peppers :angry:

Eggtucky: I have a chicken on tonight but I have done a small 4 pound butt and did not have to add any lump, just filler up to the top!

bill: the table is hard to more! these came from tractor supply, the ones before rolled well but were not sturdy
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice! Where are the chips? :)
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    Looks like you have been busy. Is your salsa fresh or do you cook it? I plant a salsa garden every year. We made our first batch last week, we made 19 pints. I have a pretty good salsa recipe if anyone would be interested.

js
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    FRESH
    Please share!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    The 14 Quart behemouth, saves time

IMG_1483.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Yes!, please share - always looking for good (hot/spicy/flavorful) salsa recipes. :cheer:
    South SLO County
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    The salsa(s) look great. My garden was a bit of a failure this year, but I just finished a batch this weekend. I take tomatoes, peppers (red, green & hot) vidalia onion, corn & garlic and smoke them all on my egg. I only cook the garlic & corn until tender, the rest I cook until the skins are charred & ready to peel. Once cooked and peel and I put them in my Cuisenart with paprika, cumin, salt, fresh pepper, a small can of pineapple and a splash of red wine vinegar. Once that's all incorporated I add the corn, and a can of black beans. It's been a hit with friends and family, and I know I really enjoy it. To make it hotter and smokier, I'll get a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and put it in the processor and then spoon the salsa on top and mix. It's excellent for those who like heat!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    WOW, you are fast, & may I add that stuff looks good enough to drink :P
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    I like the HEAT!! This is my best garden in years due to the deer fence! ;)
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Holy moly - that's what I call a VAT of salsa. Looks fantastic, great color!
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    We love salsa w/ corn and black beans. I don't think I could ever make it like you do. We've found some good ones. Most recently Spring Valley from Eagle River, WI. We brought back 2 jars from parents weekend visiting our son at camp. Had 2 couples over Sat night. Opened one jar and it was gone in about 20 minutes. Desert Pepper Co. makes another good one for us simpletons.
  • Egglicious
    Options
    Here it is. This should make about 6 pints.

8 cups tomato
    4 cups of peppers( 4 bells, 12 hallapino)
    you can sub others I have been using yellow banna peppers and others as well.
    1 cup vinigar
    1 tsp salt
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 onion
    1 small can spicy v-8
    1 small can tomato paste

Blanch tomato and remove skin, cut into small pieces(the wifes job). Chop all peppers and onion( my job). Put all ingredients in a large pot and cook for about 1 1/2hour, stirring so it doesnt stick on the bottom. We can the salsa while it is still hot.
  • Egglicious
    Options
    You can vary the peppers depending on how hot you like it. I like to add some habbenaros once in a while. But be carefull. LOL
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I've always wanted to make salsa, but I don't can. (I'm considering looking into it after several posts I've seen)If I cut the quantity to a third of your recipe; what sort of shelf life will it have in the fridge. Not that it will last too long.....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • beebeeQ
    beebeeQ Posts: 15
    Options
    Egg-on-Medford do you put salsa on your Tombstone pizza?
  • Egglicious
    Options
    I am not sure it doesnt last long once we open a jar and it hits the fridge. I often will eat a whole jar wathcing a ball game. The recipe I gave you only makes about 6 pints. Go buy 6 jars and seals. After it cooks pour it into the jars while it is hot and seal them up. Turn the jars upside down to cool and you are good to go.

js