Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Count Down To Eggtoberfest--4 Days

Earl
Earl Posts: 468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
fryed-pickerel.JPG
<p /> Hi all:[p]While we were away, i was able to catch some nice pickerel ( walleye ) right off the dock on the first night. Well,now we have to cook them up for dinner. The pan we used was deep & large with a long handle, so the egg seemed like the place to try to answer so past questions. Can you get the egg hot enough to fry fish in oil, butter or grease & still do this safely.
First off, i would not do this again, even thou it work out very well & the fish was great. If by some small chance the pan were to tip over ever so slightly, the grease would cause a flash fire that would flare up to fast to move out of the way. I am sure most of you knew this, but just in case someone was not sure, take my word for it. Don't try it. I wanted to give it a shot for two reasons, first , to cook the fish & second to save others from trying it & getting burnt.
We filled the egg up 3/4's to the fire ring with lump charcoal & started the fire with the lid fully open & the bottom vent wide open as well. The temp got well over 600F in a short time & the grease started to boil & smoke. I closed the bottom vent to just short of 1/2 way & the fire dropped down to about 500F ( these temps are only a guess, as no probe was used )& the oil settled down. The fish was placed in milk & salted batter & slowly placed in the oil for about 4 mins total.[p]Earl

Comments

• Earl
    cooking-fish.JPG
    <p />Earl,[p] If you look close, you can see the flames rising above the pans outter edge, could have been a real problem if the pan was not cleaned & had any left over grease on the outside surface,. This would have caught fire for sure, but i felt if we had to , we could have closed the lid & the fire would have been contained (i wastn't going to go that far with this test.LOL ) in the egg.[p]Earl
  • Earl
    clean-pickerel2.JPG
    <p />Earl,
    I also learned that unwanted gas bbq's make great fish cleaning stations.[p]As you can see, we are stiiling at 210 people for eggfest, almost a record. I think we had 220 at the first Eggtoberfest, but we still have 4 days left.[p]
    Earl

[ul][li]Registered Attendees [/ul]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Earl,
    At the first EGGTOBERfest we had under 100. We only had 45+ days to pull it off.

• Earl
    JJ,[p] Sorry J.J, then, it was the following year & if i'm wrong again, then the one after that. LOL[p]Earl
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Earl, Your countdown is making me very sad
    because we can't make it this year.
    It's also pissing me off.
    More & more; each day by day.
    You know how women get....
    It's a good thing that you are my friend!!
    I will miss you all....
    Love to Barb
    JCA

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    J Appledog, I know I know, they get......well, you know:....'randy'[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Earl
    J Appledog,[p]Hi Julie:[p]We are sorry to see you can't make it this year, & like all of the others, we will be thinking of you & having a toast to you.
    Now you just be sure to keep our space open at the Fine Food Show again next year. We loved spending the time with you & your food.LOL[p]Earl