Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened fish

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone,
I don't know if any of y'all caught America's Home Test Kitchen yesterday but they had a couple of great recipes. One was for Salmon and used jalapeno pepper jelly and some other things as a glaze. If anyone is interested, I'll post it. The other cook was what I'm doing tonight, blackened Snapper. They mixed the spices in the pan with butter and cooked for a couple of minutes, to make a paste. Also, instead of cooking it in a cast iron skillet, they put it directly on the grill over high heat. She actually had an aluminum pan over some of the coals, saying this increased the temp in that area by over 200 degrees. I'm not sure that would help. I would think the heat would dissipate as soon as the pan was removed. Anyway, not really the point I'm after. Has anyone cooked fish like this at high temps.? I assume you wouldn't go nuclear on it so I'm left wondering if 500 is a good temp for this or go higher

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I do my blackened snapper on the egg at 500 since I started trying to eat healthier. I simply spray the fish with a little Pam and then add a healthy coating of blackening seasoning. This keeps the butter out of the equation and you still get a great crust on the fish. If you can afford the butter, then the cast iron skillet is the ONLY way to go, it certainly adds a little something. I posted a cook with that exact fish a couple days ago. Take a look, better yet, try it yourself. Pretty sure you'll dig it!
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    I will...thanks!! However, I've already got the paste ready. Do you make your own blackened seasoning? How long do you normally cook it for? These fillets are probably 3/4 to a 1/2 inch thick. I think the idea behind doing it this way was to cut down on the smoak and possibly for somone not owning a cast iron skillet.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Options
    I cannot believe I just spelled smoke, smoak. Just one more adventure after another, the older you get.

Ronald Reagan

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    i use my grill basket and Old Bay seasoning to do mine at 450-500 it comes out very tastey
    DSC_9403.jpg
    when the veggies are done the fish goes in.
    DSC_9390.jpg
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm not real big on asparagus, probably the only vegetable I don't care much for, but those scallops and fish look wonderful.

Ronald Reagan

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I'm sure that blackening fish as in all cooking processes has many different variations...the way I was taught by an old cajun friend was using CI and butter with cajun seasonings..now he had his own recipe which I lost long ago :angry: ..but there are a number of cajun blackening rubs on the market..btw..don't do this inside..the first time I tried it on the stove top I had smoke coming out of the eaves of my house!!..500 should be hot enough...
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    True blackened is only achieved using a CI griddle or pan.

4-5-08004.jpg

If you want to grill it I'd say it would be done about 3-5 min per side at 500 dome. Cook it till it's flaky (sp)

4-5-08002.jpg
  • porkfish
    Options
    I'd like to see the recipes. The jalopeno jelly sounds pretty good!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    You have that right Mike. Nice pics.

Mike