Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish hen ideas???

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never done a cornish hen on the egg. I have two that I plan on cooking tonight. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas to share. I have ragin' river and a few others that I thought about splashing them with or maybe go jerk style. Should I spatchcock or just set them in there whole. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    greetings,
    whatever you do just remember that they cook quick. cook them just like any other chicken but keep an eye on them as they will go from done to dry in the blink of an eye.
    good luck.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    indirect 400° bout the middle of the slide show are cornish and slots warning should is accurate.. you do get a bit of grace from the veggies under the birds
    good luck

th_mini048.jpg
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I like the setup, another way to get a whole meal on the grill. What level and on what is the bottom of the vegetable pan setting?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks Bill and Slot, I got my thermapen from Mollyshark a couple of weeks ago, so I will be sure and keep a close eye on the birds. I may end up doing the tray of veggies underneath, that looked delicious!
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    either way works!

jerkhens-003.jpg

DSCN8764-1.jpg

i always put some apple, lemon, and shallot in the cavity when doing them whole.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i have a versa grate from bbq guru and it holds the pizza stone 1/2 way down the fire ring. grid is at normal level, veg pan on grid. i did direct once with two steam pans separated with blocks ,, i got some burning of veggies, not much but indirect is better.. the cook with the pyrex was a bit troulble some as the bird was too close to the veggies and the underside did not cook, took veggies off and finished underside.. if i am doing large birds i use versa grate and stone, veggies on grate and birds on second grate sitting on fire bricks important to leave some air space between birds and veggies. this is an wonderful cook
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way we like them.

Cornish, Game Hens, Stuffed, Richard Fl

100_1101.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    2-3 Whole Cornish Game Hens
    OR
    6-8 Whole Quail
    Stuffing
    3 cups Cooked Rice, Basmati preferred
    1/2 cup Pignole, Pine Nuts, Pecans, Walnuts, your choice
    1/2 cup Chutney
    1/4 cup Scallions
    Wrap
    4-6 Pieces Bacon
    SAUCE
    1 Jar Raspberry Jam 4-6 Oz. or Orange Marmalade
    Dijon Mustard
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    Salt/Pepper

Procedure:
    1 Cook Rice, Basmati or Jasmine preferred, Use 1/3 orange juice by volume of total liquid used to cook rice.
    2 Mix cooked rice w/ nuts ( pignoles or pecans chopped), chutney, scallions, stuff cornish game hens, works well w/quail. Use: pepper, salt,poultry seasoning whatever you like for rub.. Stuff birds w/mixture.
    Optional for game hens:
    1 Wrap birds w/bacon , may take 2-3 pieces to totally wrap quail, cornish lay 2-3 pieces on breast and cook indirect breast up. For quail skewer w/large tooth picks or something else to hold the bacon.
    2 Place in oven baking dish on rack to keep drippings underneath or place on BGE and grill using indirect method. Bake 325-350 F for 40-50 minutes until bacon is crispy, Start quail birds breast down, and turn breast up 1/2 way into cook. "V" rack works well for cornish, cook breast up with bacon strips.

100_1096.jpg

3 Rest 10 minutes. Serve. If Egging be careful not to let the drippings flare and burn bacon/birds. Great reheated next day.

100_1098.jpg

Sauce
    1 Mix the sauce ingredients in a pan on low heat, add raspberry jam first. Tablespoon Dijon, Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar. Lemon juice and seasoning. Bring to slow boil and stir; adjust to your tastes. Orange marmalade may be substituted for the raspberry.
    Side Dishes:
    1 Grilled Asparagus & Oyster Mushrooms w/ Italian Dressing to grill.
    Portions:
    1 1/2 Cornish or 2-3 Quail per person.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour
    Ready in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, 05/25/02

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/02/27
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    forgot my favorite..cook them direct turn as needed split in half and serve over a pile of long grain and wild rice with veggie on the side .. great presentation and the chicken juice dripping over the rice is great..