Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for camping recipes

Options
Canadian Egger
Canadian Egger Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up a small BGE to go with our new trailer and am heading out for a weekend of camping. I know that there are almost no limits on what can be done on an egg, but would still like to know what some of the "must cook" recipes are for camping. My definition of a perfect weekend camping would include cooking all 3 meals on the egg.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I have cooked "boy scout" cobbler the past 2 weekends.

Very simple, very easy;
    Pour (for small)3-4 cans of fruit in a dutch oven
    pour cake mix-1 box (Duncan Hines-or others) yellow or white on top of fruit. Top with 1 stick melted butter.

This recipe has been passing around this forum recently and is delicious.

Walt
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    As a fellow Canadian, I have to offer the idea of doing some peameal bacon in the grill, either as part of breakfast or on a bun w/cheese for lunch/dinner. It's awesome with some smoke and grilling. Other than that, some fish is nice, either planked or smoked, sausages are quick and easy, tenderloins are dynamite, some quality beef burgers are fail-safe, we are in Ontario and corn is right at its peak and tastes terrific with some bbq rub, olive oil and a bit of time on the grill to caramelize the kernels is a bit of a twist for camping. Use a platesetter and try some biscuits too. Lots of things to do, limited only by your imagination!
    Qfan
    London, ON
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    This is easy to cook and my wife has cooked this at a couple of Eggtoberfest and its really good.She also cooks this every Christmas morning.
    Larry

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=402
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    this is really good

Chili, Cornbread, Pie

When I got home last night there was nothing in the fridge but some suspect hot dogs and wilted carrots.... and after searching through the kitchen for a while, things weren't looking too promising for dinner.Opening the freezer, there it was ..... a quart of chili made a couple months back... and looking through the cupboards, there was fixins for cornbread. I like cornbread with chili and having remembered seeing a recipe for combining the two, I thought I'd wing it.

1/2 chopped onion
    ~ 1 14 oz. can creamed corn
    about 1/2 cup of milk
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    dollop of mayo (no eggs and couldn't think what else to use)
    about 1.5 cups of yellow cornmeal
    3 tsp baking powder

1 Fill the bottom of a 12" cast iron skillet with about a quart of chili.
    2 Mix well. Try to keep the mixture from getting too thick or too thin..... it should just pour out of the bowl.
    3 Evenly pour over the chili and bake until brown on top.
    4 Have a moment of silence for the greens, crack a PBR and eat.

Recipe Source
    Author: WooDoggies

Source: BGE Forum on 2004/06/17

DSCN1076.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• grEGGor
    grEGGor Posts: 109
    Options
    We used to live in London, now in Waterloo.

We are doing corn again tonight - great time of the year!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    IMHO camping requires a good pot of chili or brunswick stew...there is a very good brunswick stew recipe in the cookbook section of this forum under 'Red's Brunswick Stew'..have made it many times and keep adding to and taking away to improve but havent totally screwed it up yet!! :P ..I would also suggest a pot of beans and the apple pie baked beans or judy's block party beans are 2 great selections found on this forum and in the cookbook section...also suggest CW's cornbread made on the egg..can be made ahead and eaten when needed..
  • HTownsmokin
    Options
    Congrats on the new rig. I just got a travel trailer and have been debating what size egg to buy to make the trips. I have a large at home and I am thinking medium just to accommodate more food and serving more people, but I am a bit concerned about the extra weight and how to best transport it. Checked into welding a receiver hitch to the trailer frame to put a basket on the back end....Looking forward to three square meals on the egg. Love to hear your thoughts.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You don't have room in the tow vehicle for an Egg?

My Eggs provide for the tongue weight in my utility trailer. They ride quite nice up close to the tongue. If I am not hauling the trailer they get strapped into the bed of my pickup.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I assume you have seen the pictures of the Pigs in a Blanket. I did my version camping.

My wife loves my Brown Sugar Glazed Ham and Sweet Taters that I cook in my dutch oven.

If you check out the recipes found on ]WessB's Web Site for the Florida eggfest you will see more then a couple recipes for Breakfast.

S'more are the only MUST have on a camping trip...