Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Turkey Update

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a very nice e-mail about pulling turkey. The writer brines the bird first, then marinates it. Rubs the carcass with a no-sugar rub and cooks at 300º until the thigh temp is 200º.[p]I did a 15# bird yesterday, and it was excellent. Used a combination of osage orange and grapevine for smoke. Not even a hint of dryness, and the meat pulled like a charm. I'll be doing this again, especially as the price drops. Oh, yield was 7.5 pounds of meat from a 15.5 pound purchase.[p]Ken

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    How long did you brine it and how long did you marinate it???[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Do you think we can coax the brine and marinade recipe out of him as well? [p]WD

• Bordello
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I don't think that is much of a problem, BlueSmoke is always happy to help, right BlueSmoke ÖÖÖ
    We will be patient and wait for Big Smoke Signals.
    New Bob

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    New Bob,
    My correspondent, a man of greater experience and more advanced years than I [;-)))] didn't specify his brine, but he marinates with Wishbone Robusto.
    I'm a lazy old soul, and so just settled for brining the bird in my favorite: 40 oz. beer, 40 oz. water, 1/2 pound salt, 1 cup honey, with a small handful of allspice berries and about half that of fennel seed. Bring to a boil, stir to mix, strain and cool before using.
    Rinse and pat the bird dry. Apply your rub and go for it. (I swiped this brine from "Notes from a Country Kitchen" where they use it on pork - it's okay there, but I really prefer it on poultry.)[p]Ken

• Bordello
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Hi Ken,
    Thanks for sharing your brine with us, I knew you would step up to the plate.
    Cheers,
    New Bob