Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A confused mind "help".

Options
sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I"m responding to the earlier post on lg vs xl, just got home.I don"t have a egg,never tasted anything from the egg.But i have an xl on layaway because i like the idea of cooking alot at one time.(all the room that it has to offer).But when i hear the posts about getting 2 for the price of one,"2 different temps".I"m afraid that if i took that advice,somehow i would still regret not getting the realestate that i really wanted( remember,coming from someone who don"t know now :) I just still get confused everytime this debate comes up.While i"m still paying for my xl, i can still change my mind in the mix.and that"s what bothers me.Please help my mind if you can,thanks alot "Peace".

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    No one can make that choice but you. I will leave this for you to mull over. I have a Medium Egg and cook on it 3 or 4 times a week for nearly a year. There are times I say " Boy I wish I had more room to cook on" BUT for every time I say that I say "Boy I wish I had another Egg in addition to my Medium to cook the vegs/bread/ABT'S/ect on at a differant temp/set up" ten more times. Will get that small soon! ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Large cooking area is always nice. I don't haven an XL, but I do have Large on down.

You will need to let us know what 'like to cook a lot' means.

On my large alone, if I plan on what meat I cook, it isn't hard to cook for 24. A mix of 12 adults who eat a lot, 6 young adults and 6 younger kids.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We have everything but the Xl. I cooked a couple of times this week for 18 at the studio on our large with no trouble at all and room to spare. Yesterdays lunch was fish with fresh vegis in parchment and I used the raised grid and had to do them in two batches but not an issue at all. That size of the packets was the problem. I might have been able to get a few more on the grill with the XL but I still would have had to do two batches I think. We have cooked for a large crowd many times on the large and having the others for warming and doing different temp cooks while the large was chugging along was wonderful. When we first bought our large I stressed over the same thing. and I am very happy with the large and ti gave me an excuse to get the med. I have no desire or need at this time for an XL but if someone gave me one I would take it LOL. Julie
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    It really depends on your "normal cook". You will eventually want a second egg for different temps so get what meets your needs most of the time. I have an XL, medium and a mini and if I had it to over again I would have bought the large instead of the XL. Don't get me wrong, I love the room on the XL when I'm cooking for a really large party but that isn't too often. There seems to be a lot more accessories available for the large too.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have an XL and small. Cooking at two temps is great and glad I have em and cooking for two on the small just makes sense. I wouldn't trade my XL for a L but I know I would be happy with a L & Sm instead of an XL & Sm. What I wouldn't be happy about is having none at all - geaux get one - even if it's a small and then add the large later. Ourstanding days of great groceries are geauxing by the wayside.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Don't want to hijack this thread but fish, parchment paper, and veggies for 18 have my ears perked up. I must look like a dog that just saw a squirrel go by in the back yard. Can you share how it was prepared?

Stuffed a flounder yesterday that I'll post in a little bit.
  • Happy Hog
    Options
    According to Doug123 this is my signature statement.

I have a small, a large and a XL
    If I could only have one it would be the XL :)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I've had my large 4 months and came off a gasser. I was used to having a lot of space. Yesterday I did a 6 plus pounds of wings on two levels and used every square inch. I can see the benefit of a second egg to cook sides or at different temps. I know there is one my future and the question will be what size (can hardly what to be under the presssure of making that decision). :laugh: I cook four time a week on the large for two of us mostly. I feel the large was the right decision for me. The thing I enjoy is trying to get the entire meal on the BGE.

Picture050.jpg
    Picture027.jpg
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i can cook for quite a few just like the others that responded..

i love my large and have a small also i think i like the large best of all...

i can't comment on the xl except to repete what was told to me a while back..."you do not want to see the xl flashback"

i am actually thinking asbout getting another large... the large small combo is hard to beat

Picture.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I love the versatility having two Eggs allows. I happen to have two larges that I purchased a year apart, but having any combination of two Eggs would be better than just one, regardless of size, IMHO. What exactly do want to cook "alot" of? For alot of the same kind of food at the same time, the XL would be fine, but if "alot" means steaks, chicken, pork and veggies all at the same time, you will want more than one Egg. I can be cooking 30-40 lbs. of pork butts in one large and be doing a stir fry in my wok in the other at the same time. It's all about how much versatility you need. With the accessories that are available for the large, you can put an enormous amount of food on it at one time. Hope this helps. Mark
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    It has been a little while since I did the math, but if I remember right, the grill space on a large and medium is equal to that of an XL.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Almost. The XL is 455 sq. inches and the large and medium together is 432 (255+177) I think. He'd spend a few more bucks, but I'll bet he'd be happier in the long run. Mark
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Put your mind at rest. The only mistake you can make is to not buy a Big Green Egg or to delay the purchase because you are deciding what size to buy. It makes no difference what size you buy. If you buy too small, you'll willingly buy a bigger one later. If you buy too big, you'll willingly buy a smaller one later. pretty soon you'll be confused like the rest of us - multiple eggs and just trying to figure out which one to cook on when.
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    I appreciate your responses but i meant cooking alot of the same things at once,and also a whole meal at once and just having enough room to do it.I also thought that once i got the hang of things,I might wan"t to cook for several members at the church sometimes.I guess i"m having alot of thoughts on my bro.@sisters at church along with my family of 7 people.and that"s why i thought i might have needed to start off with a xl.
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    that was funny,I like that.And thankyou all who responded to help my mind it puts me more at ease.I guess either way i go i"ll still be buying another one later."everyone else has".
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have served 18 off from a small. I stuffed a 13 lb turkey on that sucker and roasted that. when it came off I put it in a cooler in towels to keep hot and to rest. The vegies went in in a cast iron dutch oven, a mix of root vegies in apple cider and brown sugar and butter till done and did a huge tossed salad. while we ate there was a dutch oven on the egg using up the last of the lump with a peach cobbler. not a bad meal and there was plenty for everyone, that bird was picked dry :) it was so good they could not believe it. It can be done.
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Gracious,13lb.on a small? how long did it cook?