Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Professor Kong and the Great Butt Experiment

Porkchop
Porkchop Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just got done pulling two bone-in butts, about equal size for PP. did a little experiment; rubbed one down, left one nude, ala TNW's Naked Butt. set up indirect, 225 degree dome, drip pan. went 15 hours total to finishing temp of 200. my purpose was to see which was "better"; nude, pulled, and rub mixed in, or rubbed and pulled.[p]my opinion, the rubbed was better, altho i was hoping the nude+rub would compare favorably. i found the rubbed butt to be more moist and fragrant, and with better flavor. the amount of rub i dumped into the nude butt was the same as the amount i applied to the rubbed butt. both butts were within 4 oz of one another (my estimate) with the rubbed butt being smaller.[p]i was hoping to find i could save time by not rubbing and still get the same product. nude was ok, but rubbed was much better. i'll probably try this again, to see if maybe i just had a freak butt or 2.

Comments

• Porkchop,[p]All this talk about nude abd/or rubbed butts is getting to me. I think I need a vacation.[p]CB
  • Porkchop
    never mind that rubbed butts are more fragrant :oP
  • Porkchop,
    Why are you messing around cooking barbecue without rub? Do you think that everybody but you uses a rub to waste time?
    The rub is what makes the bark on the outside of the meat. The bark is where all the flavor is. The salt and sugar in the rub transfers the flavors into the meat.
    Don't reinvent the wheel. Play with rubs and injections to get the flavor you want.
    Jack
    Smokin in the rain

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Jack,[p]I can't get enough of the tangy smokey bark in bbq and I'm always looking to make mine better.
    However, I've had a lot of great bbq where there was never a bark to begin with.... like from the oldtime method of slow cooking whole hog or whole shoulder where the skin is left on during the cook and the meat isn't seasoned or sauced until after it's been pulled and chopped.[p]I find there are a lot of different ways to make good bbq and it's good to experiment.... my only requirement is that it be smoked long and slow.[p]Beers,
    WD[p]

• WooDoggies,
    Yes, it is fun and good to experiment. However, the best tasting pork is the bark and to get the bark you MUST use a rub of some kind. Whole hog cooked with the skin on is normally seasoned or injected and not cooked with no seasoning at all.
    Jim and I placed 2nd in People's Choice pork butt at the Memphis in May competition against 118 other teams this year. We have won ribbons at the American Royal Invitational, at the Royal Open, at Jack Daniles, we have won 3 state championships and several state Reserve championships. So, I may have a little bit of an idea about what does and does not make great barbecue.
    Jack
    Smokin in the rain

• Porkchop
    Jack, some of us would rather find out for ourselves what does and doesn't work. imo, my findings bear out your opinion. i may not have won champion anything, but i still know Q. yeah, you don't get bark w/o rub, but i was looking for something else. and, the experiment only cost me 5 bucks...

• WooDoggies
    Jack,[p]I'm aware of your credentials and don't imply that you do not know bbq. [p]And I agree... the bark is also my favorite part of pork cook.... well, that and a good cracklin'. [p]However, some of the oldtimers that I know who don't compete and who have been cooking the way their pappy's and papaw's taught them and who make some excellent bbq will NOT season until after the cook. [p]My point simply is that there is more than one way to skin a cat.[p]Large Beers,
    WD[p][p]

• WooDoggies,
    There are lots of ways to cook barbecue, you're right. We all have our own taste buds. If one can cook OUTSTANDING barbecue without rubbing everynoe would be doing it. I do not know of ANY competition team who does not use rub on their pork prior to cooking it.[p]Forums are set up to help each other cook OUTSTANDING barbecue; not pretty good, not just OK, OUTSTANDING barbecue. You cook on a BGE. Why not cook on an ECB? I'll try to answer for you. You want the BEST. You can't cut corners and get OUTSTANDING results.[p]The original post said he did it to save time? In barbecue? If you want to save time use a microwave. It takes how long to rub a pork butt?
    He also stated he was going to try it again. Repeating an action and expecting differant results is a definition of insane, regardless of cost. Why cook inferior barbecue???
    Why bother???
    Jack
    Smokin in the rain

• WooDoggies
    Jack,[p]There's a whole world of world class bbq'rs out there who could care less about competition or recognition and the only judge they cater to is their own standards.
    My or your definition of what makes great bbq is not going to be the same across the board as the rest of the bbq world's definition of great bbq.[p]And I can safely say that that's a fact, Jack.[p]For all you or I know, the hands down best bbq'r in the world could be a 52 yr old fella by the name of Cyrus Puck who lives in the Okefenokee, never left the swamp, has an IQ of 72, cooks out of a hole in the ground and aint never in his life uttered the words, 'Kansas City, MIM, Lexington, turbinado' let alone 'reserve champion'.[p]I seriously doubt that Porkchop is insane or has any desire to cook inferior bbq. I suggest before you judge his desire to experiment and his technique any further.... you taste his bbq.[p]Extra Large Beers,[p]WD
    Drinkin in the dark

• Porkchop,
    Exactly...... I have always wanted that bark taste throughout the meat, to me, eliminating the need for anything else to be added.

• Zippy Lee Iskowitz,
    To achieve that cook two butts, one normally and the second butterfly and cook spread out allowing more area to be exposed to smoke (both would be rubbed with rub of choice). The second butt when pulled and or chopped mix with the first you have your wish.
    Jim

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    WooDoggies:[p]You have said enough about Cyrus . . . What ever you do, don't you dare give out the address of his "Q" shack . . .
    [/b]
  • WooDoggies
    djm5x9,[p]I promise.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    djm5x9,[p]Chesser Island is a good starting point.........but that is all I'm saying.[p]Ash[p]
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    WooDoggies,[p]
    I am one of those folks that can enjoy that whole hog bbq. Memories of going to tobacco auctions and getting a bbq sandwich with the only seasoning is a vinegar are good ones. I do like pork cooked with rubs for the bark, but naked pork with a vinegar sauce is good to me as well. Just depends on how I feel at the time. Salt and pepper works well for me too![p]Ashley