Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs are on; have a ??

Egg-on-Medford
Egg-on-Medford Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For CarwashMike's BB Ribs, is it 220 dome or grate temp. If it's grate and I didn't hook up the Mav, should the dome be about 240? Thanks from a newbie w/ grand ambitions.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Dome. If I remember correctly, you want fall off the bone. Mine are geared more for comps. Clean bite threw with a slight tug. Foil for your hour to 1 1-1/2 with apple juice. After 3 hours and get the temp up to 250 at that time. You'll get fall off the bone.
    Mine have been on for 4 hours. No foil.
    Mike
  • Thanks for the quick reply--and from the source himself. This really is a great forum. Will follow your advice; we do like them to fall off the bone. After the 1-1.5 hour in foil, then back on the grill (bone down) w/ sauce for around 30 min, right?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Bone side up.
    Take pics and report back. ;)
    Mike
  • Dome temp creeped up at 240 and I only have 2 columns of holes open below and the daisy wheel barely open. If the daisy wheel is closed and the bottom vent barely open, will the charcoal stay lit? Or does it need some outlet?
    Never thought I'd have to have everything so closed for low temp.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    bottom and top vents open just a sliver (1/8" or so) should hold your temp at 240-250.

BTW - what do you mean by "2 columns of holes open below"?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Your fine, remember you want the temp slightly climbing as the hours go by. :woohoo:

Mike
  • I was referring to the holes in the mesh screen:
    bbrbs18th.jpg

Hmm, you can barely see what I'm talking about in that pic. So I measured it and it's 1/8 inch.
    Also enjoying some bourbon on the rocks while I cook, so I didn't feel like measuring. Now I know each column of holes is 1/16 inch.
    bbrbs4r.jpg
    Four Roses 120th Anniversary Barrel Strength 115.6 proof. Quite an afternoon snack. Thanks for the help.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Ahh....I get it now.

My large doesn't have the screen. I keep meaning to get that replaced.

I'm a bit of a bourbon fan myself. Never tried the Four Roses. I still think Rock Hill Farms is my favorite. Woodford Reserve is my widely available bourbon of choice.