Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuscan/Florentine Steak Update

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Last night I tried my hand at Tuscan steak and its a an unbelievable way to cook a steak. I recently bought a whole ribeye and had them cut half of it into 2 inch steaks. This was the subject of last nights cook.[p]I simply rubbed the steak with fresh ground pepper and coarse salt, coated the steak liberally. I got the fire steady about 450 degrees. Meanwhile I had some fresh sage and rosemary sprigs. I heated olive oil in a skillet to just about smoking but not boiling. The steaks were cooked on the egg about 8 minutes a side making them FAIRLY RARE. I brought the steak in, cut in cross grain into 1/2 inch pieces and laid it on a platter. Then I put the herbs into the hot oil for a minute or two and took them out. This oil then was poured over the sliced steak on the platter and served. WOW. The steak came out medium-medium rare and the oil added a real nice flavor to it.[p]I have 4 more 2 inch ribeyes in the freezer and I'm looking forward to experimenting with some different variations on this theme. Thanks for all of the input, I would highly recommend this method of cooking a steak. I think the REAL florentine steak is a porterhouse or T-Bone but the ribeye worked real well.[p]Troy

Comments

• char buddy
    Options
    sprinter,[p]aren't you suppose to squeeze lemon juice on top?[p]cb
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    char buddy,[p]That was one of the ideas that was given to me but I wanted to try int just plain first. I followed a recipe that was in a magazine that I get and wanted to try it as it was published. I have 4 more thick steaks that I'm going to do some experimenting with. One recipe I have says to rub a mixture of fresh ground herbs and anchovy paste and olive oil on it, that one sounds interesting. Another one says to squeeze the lemon juice on it. So many possibilities.[p]Troy
  • char buddy
    Options
    sprinter,[p]so many possibilities, so little time.
    so many possibilities, not enough steak.
    so many possibiltiies, so little lump left, [p]etc...

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    sprinter,
    Do give the lemon juice a try; it is delicious on the steak. When we do this, we slice it in thick slices, drizzle plain, good olive oil over and then let each person squeeze his/her lemon over their portion/ We only use salt and coarsely-ground black pepper to season the meat before cooking.

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    Gloria, tried this wed. nite with some nice porterhouse steaks. coarse salt and cracked black pepper, then sprayed down the steak with olive oil. took them off the cooker and plated them whole, with a couple LIME wedges (store was out of lemons, of all things!) and it was fantastic! strange that something so simple can be so good. had a guest over that is familiar with my cooking, and a very hard person to get an unqualified compliment out of. he raved! i will be doing this more often when i do steak.

• Bill in VA
    Options
    Gloria,
    I have to agree with you. [p]When I was in Scicily a few years back I had such a steak.[p]It was a thin steak, probably only 3/8 - 1/2" thick. It was cooked real fast over high heat with lemon and I don't know what else on it. [p]I had been wanting to try cooking one like this but didn't know what else was involved. Thanks to this thread it is now on the agenda[p]Bill

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    sprinter,
    For those that can find it, there is an article on Tuscan Grilled Steak in the July & August 2002 issue of Cook’s Illustrated.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Porkchop,
    We were in Italy last fall and in a hilltown restaurant in Liguria, we had a small lamb leg roasted over an open fire; in fact, it was propped up with the fire behind it and it was cooked like this. We watched it cook as we had our antipasta (and wine!), then the waiter brought it over on a rolling cart with the meat on an olive wood platter and he carved it all up for us. THAT is what inspired the husband to find a method of cooking that would approximate this and after much looking and research, we decided on the Egg and have never looked backed. Boy, those Italians would faint at the ease with which their open-fire cooking could be accomplished with an Egg!

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    yeah, but the ambience(sp?)? that sounds so wonderful! it couldn't help but make the food taste better! i love my kooker as well, but there's something to be said for that ol' open hearth!