Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Wok

Options
jonboy
jonboy Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a cast iron wok recently.
It has a flat bottom that i plan on setting on my CI grate.
I am going to give some chicken a quick stir fry with a few vegs.
As this is my first time, are there any suggestions>
jon

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    I love cooking on cast iron but have been disappointed with my cast iron wok. Mine (Lodge) also has a flat bottom that is very thick. It stays cooler than the sides and stuff tends to simmer at the bottom. When I use it on the egg, I don't use the grate at all. The handles balance on the fire ring and it sits closer to the coals that way.
    Paul
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    The best wok I've found is made of titanium and manufactured by 'Scanpan'. It can't go in a BGE but works very well on the stove top or outdoor cooker (like a turkey-fryer burner or the side-kick of a gasser grill). Its non-sick coating is rust-proof and will take a lot of abuse! I have 2 of the large size (14") with no regrets... 8 - )
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    I have the lodge also.
    It is bigger than my med egg. Lid will not close.
    I bought it thinking it would fit inside the egg.
    oops. The handles will rest on the gasket. Probably not a good idea. May need to buy a new egg.:)

Trying to get a working plan for the cook.
    So far, sitting on the ci grate is my best idea.
    I dont think that a spider is made for the med egg

How much oil do you use for a stir fry?
    It has been awhile since i have used one.

Any hints are appreciated,
    jon
  • Essex County
    Options
    Yeah, my setup won't work on the medium. I'm concerned that you won't get sufficient heat if the wok sits on the grate. Maybe if you fill it with lump up to the top of the fire ring you can do it.

You won't need much oil...a couple of tablespoons. Get the wok really hot, then the oil. It should smoke right away so have your food ready to go.

Good luck!
    Paul