Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VACATION AT HOME!!!!!!!!

Egg-on-Medford
Egg-on-Medford Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I'm off for a week and staying home. Already had a nice glass of Four Roses 120th Anniversary bourbon. Hmmmm, could I somehow use that to flavor something???

Stopped at the BBQ Store in Wilmette yesterday and picked up a rib rack, Jack D chips and some other stuff. Got Blue Smoke BBQ sauce today.

Thinking about doing a slow cook comparison with my gasser, but I don't know how low I can get its temperature.

Gonna try to do a brisket and babyback ribs next week. Will have to try grilling a burger, too. Just wanted to let you all know my plans. I've bookmarked and copied some hints.

Enjoying everyone's posts, especially the pics and techniques. Glad I joined.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I prefer Maker's Mark to sip, however here is an option.

Sauce, BBQ, Bourbon, DZSO Joe

INGREDIENTS:
    1 beer for the cook
    1/2 cup of chopped onion
    3-4 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups Hunts catsup
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
    3/4 cup molasses
    1 //2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 cup Tomato paste
    2 tsp liquid BBQ smoke
    1/2 tsp hot sauce
    2 shots (more or less to taste) of bourbon

Procedure:
    1 Combine onion, garlic, and bourbon in a saucepan. Sauté until onion and garlic are soft, add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. This should make about 4 cups

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Author: DZSO Joe (Joe Loadholtes)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '06, DZSO Joe
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    You know what they say - "don't cook with anything you wouldn't drink!"

I stick with that for everything but beer-can chicken. ;)

Egg-on-Medford wrote:
    Well, I'm off for a week and staying home. Already had a nice glass of Four Roses 120th Anniversary bourbon. Hmmmm, could I somehow use that to flavor something???

Stopped at the BBQ Store in Wilmette yesterday and picked up a rib rack, Jack D chips and some other stuff. Got Blue Smoke BBQ sauce today.

Thinking about doing a slow cook comparison with my gasser, but I don't know how low I can get its temperature.

Gonna try to do a brisket and babyback ribs next week. Will have to try grilling a burger, too. Just wanted to let you all know my plans. I've bookmarked and copied some hints.

Enjoying everyone's posts, especially the pics and techniques. Glad I joined.
  • NICE! that's what I'm talking about. copied and pasted into my little side file of recipes. Much appreciated.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    We just spent a week in Chicago and, for the money, staying home wasn't a bad alternative. Aside from Giordano's Pizza, the food was forgettable and eye-poppingly expensive. Chicago's a nice town, though, with a great skyline from the lake.
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    The "Staycation", sounds great. I did that last summer and got lots done around the house and did some fun things with the kids.

Plenty of time to plan your cooks. Enjoy!
  • Ooh, don't know where you ate, but there are great restaurants around, several reasonably priced. Hope you enjoyed the sites.
  • Couple of Cubs' games on tap, one with friends, other with son. Some cleaning up. Some cooking. Some drinking. NOT working-that's the key.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    We did enjoy the city, though we were definitely limited by our ignorance on dining. I'll study up before going again.
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    I meant to do it this summer myself, but I put it off and now the kids start school Wednesday. Seems awfully early to me, but at least we had a nice vacation with a couple of other families at the Outer Banks in June.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    So where does the Medford in your handle come from? I live in Medford NJ so obviously I am curious. Have a great vacation and enjoy all that good Egged food.

Chuck