Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Dogs

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I must confess that my eggs have been cold for far too long. I finally was able to light the fire last night and I simply cooked hot dogs. I guess that I was just celebrating the Yankees early exit from the Playoffs. (That is not real reason, but I could not resist) As a matter of fact eight hot dogs fit on the mini perfectly. Now this may not sound like much, but the toppings made the dog. [p]Over the weekend, I found myself driving thru Toledo, OH. Just off of the Highway, there is a little joint made famous by Max Klinger on MASH, Tony Packo’s. They serve one of the best chilidogs ever. They also have great Pickles & Peppers. Any way, I picked up an extra quart of chili sauce. So for dinner, I made chilidogs.[p]Sometimes simple is best,
RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Tony Packo’s Cafe[/ul]

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]My favorite hot dog is a chili cheese dog with mustard. Too bad about the Yankees - ahaa ha ha ha.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Here is a clone recipe for Packo's. I would appreciate your input if you decide to make it. The problem is, Packo's also bottles a sauce and it does NOT taste like the one from the store. I think this clone is for the bottled version.[p]Coney Dogs are a passion for me and I have tried several dozen recipes and kept many of them. I spent lots of time in Detroit and was able to sample many of the old Greek places. I have a recipe for an original Greek style sauce that is simply the best I have tasted. I have several other as well. Let me know if you are interested. I will also reveal the secret to getting the correct consistency to the ground beef.[p]Stogie[p]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Stogie:[p]I am interested in the Greek style sauce and how to get the correct consistency for the ground beef. Are they listed in your recipe site?
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Stogie,
    I would love to hear the recipes. Please, drop me an eamil.
    Thanks,
    R&J

• Stogie,[p]See anything missing?
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Sespe Pete,
    I thought that it was just me.
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Maybe it was. I didn't see who did it![p]Pete
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Sespe Pete, The link showed up on my puter ok.[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Mop,[p]You got one of them furin puters?[p]Pete
  • JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    Stogie,
    I really love a good gyro.
    The sauce can make it.
    Have you got a gyro recipe for the egg?
    I realize that they use those tall, spinning
    ground and pressed deals at the fair, but surely there
    is a way to mimick that on the egg. Maybe just use lamb?
    Just curious what your thoughts are on this one...
    JodyMo

• djm5x9
    Options
    JodyMo:[p]A boneless leg of lamb thin sliced on pita bread and some tzatziki . . . Just waiting for the Greek Festival in Atlanta later this week . . .

[/b]
  • JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Looks good!
    By the way, if you LOVE greek food,
    surely you need to know about Cavendar's -
    a multi-spice seasoning. I think it's great.
    I use it on just about everything.
    I am going to try this TZATZIKI!
    Thanks-
    JodyMo

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    JodyMo,[p]I'm with you and love those gyros. Try this recipe. I've done it once and it was very good.[p]K~G

[ul][li]gyros and sauce[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Options
    Sespe Pete,[p]LOL!! Ever the vigilant one![p]OK, I am posting the recipes now....new post above.[p]Stogie
  • Stogie
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]OK, here are 7 to start with! I have a few others when you finish these. Sorry about not including them in the last post.[p]Realize these are technically CONEY sauces and not CHILI sauces. Chili sauce will have the beans in them.[p]Soak your ground beef for about 1/2 hour in water. Place beef in a bowl and cover with water, then refrigerate for 30 minutes. Take a fork and break up any lumps remaining. This will result in a sauce with NO lumps or clumps of beef.[p]Once the water is drained, then you can brown the meat. It will still be soggy, but that water will evaporate in short order. This technique is great for chili as well..if you like it that smooth.[p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Tony Packo's [p]1 pound Ground beef
    1 1/2 cup(s) Water
    1 tablespoon Chili powder
    1/2 tablespoon Pepper
    1/2 tablespoon Paprika, Hungarian
    3/4 teaspoon Thyme, dried
    3/4 teaspoon Cumin powder
    1 Garlic clove(s), minced
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    dash Cayenne pepper[p]PREPARATION:
    Brown burger making sure to break up large chunks.
    Add remaining ingredients and slowly cook for 1 or more hours.
    1/3 cup Chili powder
    2 teaspoons Paprika
    1 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
    1 teaspoon Garlic powder
    1 teaspoon Cumin powder
    1 teaspoon Allspice
    1 teaspoon Basil, dried
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried[p]PREPARATION:
    To get the right consistency, cover the meat with water and soak, in the fridge, for 1/2 hour. Then take a fork and break up any remaining chunks. Drain the water and go on to browning. You will have some water while browning but it will slowly steam off.
    Brown beef, onion and shortening.
    Add remaining ingredients.
    Simmer for 2 hours. You may have to add some water.
    This freezes well.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Aiken Pool Hall [p]1 pound Ground beef
    4 medium Onion(s), chopped
    4 tablespoon(s) Yellow mustard
    3 teaspoon(s) Sugar
    2 teaspoon(s) Cider vinegar
    2 teaspoon(s) Chili powder
    1 cup Ketchup
    Salt to taste[p]PREPARATION:
    Place ground beef in 4 qt. pan. Add enough hot water to make a thick mixture.
    Stir until smooth.
    Add remaining ingredients and cook slowly for 1 hour.
    Cook to your desired consistency. Use water or beer to thin.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Yocco's [p]1 pound Ground beef
    1 medium Onion, minced
    3 tablespoon(s) Chili powder
    1 teaspoon Salt
    3/4 teaspoon Oregano, dried
    1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes, crushed
    2 cup(s) Water[p]PREPARATION:
    Brown meat.
    Add spices, mix well.
    Add water and simmer 1 hour or until desired consistency.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]This is one of 2 A&W recipes I have made. This one is much sweeter than the next one and I think that sauce #2 is a better replication of A&W...they serve a very good coney![p]A & W Coney Sauce [p]1 pound Ground beef
    1 large Onion(s), minced
    1/3 cup Vinegar
    1/2 cup Sugar
    5 ounce(s) Tomato puree
    4 teaspoon(s) Chili powder
    2 teaspoon(s) Salt
    2 teaspoon(s) Celery seed
    1 teaspoon Black pepper[p]PREPARATION:
    DO NOT brown beef.
    Mix everything together and cook for 2 hours.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]A & W Coney Sauce 2 [p]1 pound Ground beef
    6 ounce(s) Tomato sauce
    1 cup Water
    1 tablespoon Sugar
    1 tablespoon Yellow mustard
    1 teaspoon Onion powder
    2 teaspoon(s) Chili powder
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 teaspoon Celery seed
    1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, fresh ground[p]PREPARATION:
    DO NOT brown the beef.
    Combine all in a sauce pan and cook for 2 hours.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]The Coney Island shop in Detroit is a landmark and one of the first coney shops to open. Here is their authentic recipe...you need some type of organ meat, so arrange with your butcher. This was published in one of the Detroit papers back in the 1970's.[p]Original Coney Island Sauce [p]1 tablespoon Butter
    1 tablespoon Margarine
    1 1/2 pound(s) Ground beef
    2 medium Onion(s), minced
    1 clove Garlic, crushed
    3 tablespoon(s) Chili powder
    1 tablespoon Yellow mustard
    6 ounce(s) Tomato paste
    6 ounce(s) Water
    1 Beef heart, cooked and ground
    4 Hot dog(s), ground
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon Sweet pickle relish
    1 tablespoon Green olives, crushed[p]PREPARATION:
    Combine all ingredients except hot dogs and cook until thick.
    Do NOT brown the beef first.
    Add the hot dogs and cook 15 minutes longer.
    If the sauce is too thin, add some crumbled soda crackers. [p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, rumor has it that several Atlanta Braves wanted to make sure they would have no conflict for EGGtoberfest. :-)

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Stogie,
    Oh man, thinking back on those numerous trips to Lafayette Coney Island in Detroit after concerts and Tigers games for 'two chili smudder'd' (smothered with onions). Not sure that I really wanted to know what was in 'em...LOL
    Qfan

• Stogie,
    In the original Greek coney sauce, are we talking about a cup of Crisco or what? I had seen this recipe somewhere but didn't know what to do about the cup of shortening. Sure sounds like a lot of grease, especially if you use ground chuck![p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• Stogie
    Options
    Chuck,[p]That is exactly what I use. It will actually cook down and you will need to add some water towards the end. Remember, the role of fat is to carry the flavors and you have lots of flavors to carry![p]Many of those shops serve a "wet" and "dry" version of a coney dog...the "wet" is full of grease and the "dry" is drained of the grease.[p]Stogie
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Stogie:[p]Instead of Crisco could you substitute olive oil?
    [/b]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Wise One,
    Heeeeeeee
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Stogie,
    Thank you,