Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another EGG??

Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, spring thinks it wants to come to Maine. I'm now looking to opening camp in another three weeks or so and get ready for the beautiful Maine summer on the lake. I once thought of transporting my large EGG to camp every few weeks to smoke 'em out!! However, that seems crazy AND I may break it in all that moving. So, I'm look to buy another EGG. Would you all point me to buying another LARGE or is the MEDIUM plenty for camp??? I am getting to know the large pretty well and am getting excellent results. Just wondered if I moved to the medium for camp it would be enough different in its characteristics that I'd be at the bottom of the learning curve again. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Doug,
    When you are on the lake, and are feeling as good as you can feel, with low stress, crisp cobalt blue skies, glimmering water, you need to be ready to cook some serious food. [p]I vote for the large. You will never say "man, this is too big".

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • MW
    MW Posts: 61
    Doug, I am a new 'egger' but I came to this forum a few months ago pondering if I should buy the medium or the large...I was inundated with advice to buy the large and to this day I am so glad that I did....never looked back.[p]Like I said.... just my meager input...[p]MW

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]After three grueling interviews and an exam, I am drooling over your stress free description. It's Tuesday and I've had a hellish last two days. I like to look at the positive side of things, though, and the way I see it the worst of this week is done. I now have 3 solid days to plot and scheme what maniacal concoctions I can cook up on the Egg this weekend. I think a beer butt chicken is in order, for starters. OK, so it's not a "concoction" and it's hardly "maniacal"...but I've had a really long day so ya gotta give me some leeway.[p]I plan on using a simple brine of some sort along with a nice dry rub and wet marinade which will also be mixed with the beer. Any general suggestions? Have any new killer recipes/techniques for beer butt chickens been discovered recently?[p]Stressfed

• Doug,[p]Decisions...decisions[p]1) How many people?
    2) Turkeys?
    3) Briskets?
    4) Can you hide it lock it?
    5) How far will you have to move it?[p]After you answer these questions you will have your answer. Are you a teacher...I'd just love to have the summer off!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />Doug,
    You can buy a small egg and make a extra grate for it and have more cooking space than a large egg with one grate,and it's a lot easier to transport,still piddling.
    YB

• Doug,
    If my choice was the medium or large I'd go large and be done with it!!![p]Have been thinking of getting a BGE for our summer trout cabin. If I do it will be the large I'm sure.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cornfed,
    Have you done Brant's recipe?? Hard to beat that one.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Cornfed,[p]I'm in the process of trying a raspberry glazed jerk chicken, chicken in the fridge now with a nice rub on it. I know it won't help with your query right now but by Thursday or Friday I should be able to pass along the results. It should be awesome. Not quite "maniacle" but a bit of a step on the wild side. Good luck, if this works I'll be sure to let the group know about it.[p]Troy
  • Doug,[p]If you are only cooking for a few then I suggest the medium. I have had both and I found the medium to very useful. I now have a large, and while it's great, I found that there were many times where I wished I had a smaller Egg. I recently purchased a mini and I use it as much (if not more) than the large. I only cook for two, however, and that makes a big difference. While most people like the large Egg, I would not discount the medium or small.[p]Larry[p]

• Doug, for a camp on the lake,, you will need two large. One for slow cooks, breads, etc. and one for fish, veggies, steaks, and burgers.[p]Or three mediums.[p]Feel free to print this as justification to assure your wife of what the eggsperts say you'll be needing.

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    YB,
    How'd you make the double rack?

• YB
    gratedetail.jpg
    <p />ol-blue,
    I bought a 14 1/2" weber grill from Home Depot and 4-3 1/2"x5/16 stainless steel carriage bolts,nuts and washers,a picture is worth a thousand words,thanks to Bryan,Tim M and Brant.

• YB
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />ol-blue,
    This is it in the small egg,it fits perfect and would be just the right height for a pizza stone.
    YB

• Doug
    MW, thanks for your suggestion. Welcome to the forum and...everyone's input is valued! Doug

• Doug
    King-O-Coals, great advise. I WILL print your suggestion out and leave it somewhere where my wife will be sure to find it. Thanks!!!