Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy from across the pond

Options
Don Marco
Don Marco Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy folks...

My name is Marco, im a 32 years old from Germany and i´m addicted to BBQ and beer . :evil:
Besides my backyard cooking i´m in a very nice and successful bbq team, "TB & the BBQ Scouts" and were also running a BBQ Forum in germany www.mybbq.net/forum

I registered here today, been wanting a BGE for a while now but they are out of this world expensive over here.
About 3-4 times as much as the US price. :blink:

Anyway, i hope to get a deal on an exhibition model at the upcoming SPOGA trade show in Cologne in two weeks.

Wish me luck !

Looking forward to learn a lot from you guys and maybe also share something.

Cheers,

DM
www.don-marcos-bbq.de

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Don Marco,
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you get your egg.
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi Marco,
    A very big welcome to you! I hope you are able to aquire an Egg...you will LOVE it! There is a lot of info on this forum and lots of friendly people to go with it.
    I wish you continued success with your competition team!
    Joellen
    aka: captjo
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Wie Geht's?
    Wilkommen in der BGE forum.

That's about all the German i can muster right now, until i get a few beers in me.

Glad to have you here.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Shouldn't that be das Forum? ;)

With a weak US dollar just think of the "discount" you could get if you could buy one here. Unfortunately shipping would be expensive.

Where are you located in DE? I used to work for Henkel so I spent lots of time in Düsseldorf and Cologne.

I'd kill for an Uerige and a speck sandwich with mustard right now. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
  • Don Marco
    Options
    If i calculate with the current Dollar, a large egg would be about 400-450 Euros. Add to that shipping and taxes and somehow the retail price is around 1400-1500 €.

Shipping a single egg over the pond doesnt make a lot of sense also.

I live in the northwest of germany at the north sea (about 180 miles to cologne) but my job takes me all over the country and most of europe.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Welcome....Me not having a clue on German cuisine....I'm curious what do you consider bbq in Germany...in relation to our typical ribs, brisket, pulled pork, chicken ??????
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Hello Don Marco, and welcome.

I want to let you know that on 13 September there will be the 2nd annual Big Green Egg-Member Party in Zoetermeer, the Netherlands. You might be able to purchase an Egg at this event. In the US the Eggs used during a fest are sold at a discount. I don't know if this is true in Holland, but it would be worth your time to call and ask.

You can get more information at their website.

http://www.biggreenegg.nl/

Best of luck, and please post your cooks on this board after you get your Egg.

DD
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Getting the Egg is painful for us Europeans, even BGE didn't seem to know where I could get one, though they gave me some pointers. Good luck with getting a deal. I still hold a desire to try and ship a small....
  • Don Marco
    Options
    Wish i could go there but were competing at the WBQA World Barbecue Championchips in Belgium that same weekend.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    You live in a nice part of the world. My wife and I used to travel to Flensburg for business and stay at the Alter Meierhof, a very pretty place with great food.

It still might be worth you time to give them a call. They are the importer for Europe.

Best of luck at the WBQA.

DD
  • Don Marco
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    I'm curious what do you consider bbq in Germany...in relation to our typical ribs, brisket, pulled pork, chicken ??????

Off course we cook a lot of american style bbq over here, since grilling and BBQ in germany generally means cooking over an open flame without a lid.

Theres a lot of german dishes that can be adpated to bbq or indirect grilling just fine.

I must admit im a bit envious on your american beef ( we got a team sponsor wich imports fantastic beef from argentina though) but our pork is propably the best in the world.

Competition cooking is a bit different over here as its not the brisket/pulled pork/chicken thighs on greens thning that youre used to.
    We have to be a bit more creative with the whole thing and sides are very important too.

Heres some pics of some food we cook at competitions :

57_DGM_073_Medium_1.jpg

205_IMG_2652__1.jpg

Our selfmade shrimp bratwurst

57_DGM_056_Medium_1.jpg

Chicken Lollipops

57_DGM_070_Medium_1.jpg

57_DGM_068_Medium_1.jpg

Grilled Pralines

57_DGM_072_Medium_1.jpg

A fish entry

132_Monheim_319_1.jpg

Stuffed beef

577_BBQ6_1.jpg

577_BBQ14_1.jpg

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Your food looks wonderful, but I think most people in America would not recognize it as BBQ. They would just take it as some very nice restaurant food.

Texas style BBQ owes a lot to German influence. Sausages are an important part of BBQ in Texas, introduced by German immigrants.

If you are able to buy an Egg, let me suggest Carolina style pulled pork. Although a pile of pulled pork looks like a big mess, the flavor is most excellent. Each chew can reveal another flavor.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    All of those appetizers look lovely, but don't you ever cook a main entre'? :woohoo: Ofcourse most of us Eggers in the US tend to be a little on the plump side! :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Welcome! Check around to see if you have any US military connections, see if they have anyone getting transferred from USA and possible have them bring the BGE over in household shipment.
  • Don Marco
    Options
    gdenby wrote:
    Your food looks wonderful, but I think most people in America would not recognize it as BBQ. They would just take it as some very nice restaurant food.

True, actually its more like "upclass" grilling competitions.

I´m also more a pulled pork, brisket or ribs loving guy but thats the way the competitions are over here and the wide range of possibilities makes up for that a bit.

I´d love to cook a competition in the US sometime.

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • Don Marco
    Options
    Richard Fl wrote:
    Welcome! Check around to see if you have any US military connections, see if they have anyone getting transferred from USA and possible have them bring the BGE over in household shipment.

That´d be a nice idea but unfortunately theres no US base within 100 miles.
    I do have some business to do at the Ramstein Airbase sometimes though, but dont have any contacts there since its usually just a couple of hours every 5-6 month.
    I´d be in heaven if i could make into the PX.(even though they dont carry BGE there)

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    WOW....thats impressive...sounds like you got the best of all worlds...
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Welcome Marco! I know everyone here will enjoy the pics of your great cooks! Before getting my eggs, I used to admire your postings on the barbecue bible forum. Good luck in getting an egg!
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    welcome,that food looks good.I wish we could try some of that.We really hope you get your egg,good luck.
  • Central IL Egger
    Options
    Looks awesome! Make sure you sign up for the Ultimate Grill Giveaway and maybe it'll be shipped to you FREE!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    A German addicted to beer. Whua thought that. :woohoo: Hey, You posted some great looking pics of your contests and I would like to see more.
    Welcome and good luck.

Mike
  • RATRED
    RATRED Posts: 17
    Options
    Marco, I have a friend who is retired from the military and who may be taking a trip soon to Ramstein Airbase. If he does, he will bring a BGE to you. Please let me know if you are still searching?
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I would definitely not mind some of these recipes if you have them!