Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where you from and what do you do

Options
Chef Boy RC
Chef Boy RC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a follow up to the, How did you get your name post, I always like to see where everyone's from and what they do for a living. It's amazing all the varied backgrounds that come together to form this extended family, people we may never meet other than right here but it's still like a family.
I'll go first, I'm from a small town in the very South West corner of Indiana called Mt. Vernon. I work maint. for Sabic plastics, it was General Electric plastics till GE sold us off last fall, been there for 24.5 years.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Originally from Centralia, MO but been in Dunlap, IL just North of Peoria for the past 42 years. Ex-banker/controller/treasurer now retired and loving it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Moved from Ohio to Florida east coast (Jupiter) at age 6 months. Taught at a vocational school 20 years and now Electrical Contractor/Big Green Egg Forum full time junkie :woohoo:

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I missed the previous post but I think all will be answered here. My family lies in Long Island, New York in a town called Ronkonkoma (now stop laughing at the name). I am retired from the Long Island RailRoad after 30 years of service ,hence the name Retired RailRoader. My present job is to not get myself into any trouble while my wife works at the local school district while I stay home fully enjoying retirement. Love to do home improvements, building and repairing PC's, and making all sorts of good eats on the BGE.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Do you find some time to enjoy the lake?~~
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Well, I'll be darned...Retired RailRoader and us are pretty darn close... I work in Spring, Texas (just 30 miles north of Houston but still in Harris County) for an insurance broker as Office Manager and we sell insurance to school districts....while the Spring Chicken is retired and his present job is to not get himself into any trouble (not happening)and stays home fully enjoying retirement. We both love to do home improvements, building and repairing stuff, and making all sorts of good eats on the BGE. Now, how close is that???
    Spring "counting the days to retirement" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Raised in Northern Wisconsin. The Marine Corps brought me to California where I experienced my first winter without the snow and cold. Vowing to stay out of the snow and cold I settled in Houston Texas where I have been for that last twenty years.

I am a Process Consultant for places like these:
    TexasCity115.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Boston Mass area illustrator.

after 18 years in architecture, i now consult as an illustrator for architects. rather than workworkwork for someone else, with fingers crossed aiming for retirement (architects don't retire), i called that part of my career over and started my own studio. i try to cap it to 32 hours a week, because i have a young family, and want to spend time with them. ...more important than my career i think. martyrdom is overrated.

my work comes in waves, though, so it's usually more like 90/100 hours of work followed by a couple weeks of screwing off (usually here, on the forum!) or doing smaller in-fill jobs.

recently did six pencil illustrations for a library to be built after a certain someone leaves a certain office on january 20. that was a fun job. should occupy much of my time til next year.

here's a typical pencil...
    a dorm building at a college in upstate NY

RAMSAMaristInt01.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Well I live in Indy. I worked cutting and selling the flesh on dead animals for 30 years in a supermarket. I now do Network/Computer support work at a University. I obtained my BS in Computer Technology in 1999 and changed careers. My mind earns me a living rather then my back now.
    I recently had LRnY surgery and have lost 141 lbs and went from 54 inch waist to a 34 inch waist. That is why I bought an egg. I eat very little volume wise now and want what I do eat to taste great. The egg does that for sure.
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    Own a small landscape & lawn maintenance company in Dallas,Ga.

Doug
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    Chuck from Georgia -
    Marietta, Georgia

I work for a national health insurance company as an account manager in their national accounts area (large employer groups, 5000 + employees, multi-state sites, etc..)

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    A small world, our daughters live in Dallas,GA

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Real Nice! I have a lot of respect for the self employed. I just never had the kahunas to do it myself -something about the steady income (until you get fired of course).

And, you and I; our drawing talent; wow; so much alike; who could tell the difference:

the_bo4.gif

don't ya think?
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I am a department head in facilities management at a large medical center in Augusta Georgia.I design things and manage large projects.We have 110 buildings and 8,000 employees. I have been here 32 years and plan on staying at least one more year.This has been a great place to work.

Larry
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Live in Houma, LA.

BS Civil Engineering

Worked for a Marine Construction Company for 31 years primarily building offshore platforms and pipelines (but afew other things along the way) in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Pennsylvania and Scotland. Retired at the ripe old age of 54. Lately, lot of volunteer work at our church and fish once a week.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i design engineer and fabricate custom metal fabrications, mostly pressure and vacuum related but anything made from metal. small shop north of boston. we completed two of these this week, stainless steel vacuum chiller vessels. sometimes i fish

DSC_0178.jpg

www.hhengineers.com
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    people and trees are far harder to draw than the buildings i draw. i could never make any cash drawing people! yours looks better than any person i could draw freehand.

truth be told, i trace people!
  • stike
    Options
    you making ice cream by sucking the air out from around the stuff? cool!

hahaha
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i should be making these to make beer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    Live in Glen Ellyn, Ill. which is about 30 miles west of Chicago. Born and raised in mostly Italian Melrose Park, ILL (Melrose Peppers). Always around cooking growing up, as my Mother, Grandmother, Aunts were all typical old-fashioned Italians whom made everything fresh and from scratch.
    Cheryl and myself have enjoyed our marrige for 17 years-- she has made 3 meals in all, and I didn't eat any of them. So this part works out well, I love to cook (she doesn't)and eat, and my wife gets to clean-up.
    Very happy I stumbeled across this BGE forum a couple years ago, I now have 3.
    Have been a Local #130 union Plumber for 30 years with the last 15 as Project Manager / Estimator. I work for the largest Plumbing contractor in Chicago mostly on high-rise buildings, large pump systems, hospitals etc.
    Big Nascar fan--see you in Bristol next week?
    BTW--forum name--to get charcoal, you "carbonize" wood.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Heck, you both are fantastic. I can't even read my handwriting let alone draw anything.

GG
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I live in the charming hamlet of Appleton in Wisconsin and we like it here very much. As an artist I'm usually starving but will work for food to cook on my eggs. You might have seen me holding my cardboard sign at the edge of the hiway. When I do work it's usually for designing and building functional art objects. Right now I'm building a twin set of personal cabinets made from curly maple veneer with black walnut legs.

Making wedge mortis and tenons for the aprons.
    ClaysArtistCabinetProject0049.jpg
  • EggHeadFred
    Options
    I live in Smyrna Ga. In my 40th year of hair cutting. I have a salon the Vinings area of Atlanta. I really like cooking on my egg.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Came to the US (Manhattan)in 1956 from the U.K. Moved to the mid Hudson Valley of NY State in 1964, and lived here ever since. Work as a Senior Accounts Manager for a hazardous waste landfill in Canada. My territory included all of NY 1/2 of Jersey, 1/2 of PA, all of W.Virginia, Wisconsin, Alabama, Colorado, and Kentucky. I also have specific accounts in Pittsburgh and Delaware. 2 years to retirement....B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Born and raised and still here Taylorsville, Utah 15 miles SW of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Main profession has been and is FIAWW. Still trying to figure out what I am going to do for a living and how I am going to get to able to retire.

GG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Living and working in north central Indiana, so-called"Michiana" area, up near the Michigan line.

Work as a museum preparator. Un/crate, pack, handle, install artworks, design and build installations, set-up the illumination. Been doing it for over 30 yrs. Also built and maintain the museum's collection and membership database systems.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Moved to Alabama in '74 from Miramar, Fla followed my job with Western Electric/A T & T/ Lucent Technologies. I was a warehouse manager and retired in '97 after 37.5 yrs. Live in Alexander City Al on Lake Martin with my wife of 44yrs. Our 2 grown-ups live in Montgomery Al with our 5 grandkids and come up to enjoy the lake and granpa's cookin' on his egg. Hobbies are fishing,cutting the grass,fishing ,cutting the grass. And of course our grandkids.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al
    B)

Opelika, Alabama
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Will we be meeting you at the Eggwegofest? -RP
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    I'm originlly from the Bay Area, now living in Elk Grove, CA near Sacramento. I want out of California, but won't get what I want for my house, so I'm holding on until the housing market comes back up.

In between jobs a the moment, but was working for Procter & Gamble in sales and fell victom of an economic melt down. Anyone out there looking for an employee?

I Kinda want to get out of this business I'm in and become self employed, but still haven't found whatthat business is.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Kim and I live in Tucson, more accurately Oro Valley, AZ. I manufacture hot tubs and some swimming pool products. -RP
  • Essex County
    Options
    One of those landed in my backyard last night and then took off again.