Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bbq guru and stoker waterproof?

obstructionist
obstructionist Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I leave either the BBQ Guru or the Stoker out in the rain?

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Can't speak for the Stoker but the Guru is....sort of. The computer unit is and all plug ins are in a recessed cavity on the bottom of the unit. The fan is stainless and will take rain BUT I wouldnt want to just leave the complete unit out all day in a pouring rain. A shower wiould be fine and I'm sure a hard rain will not hurt it but there is not really any 110 plug in device I would want to leave pluged in with a pouring rain.
  • I see. I thought the controller units were battery-powered, and the fan ran on AC. No?
  • The blowers run off of power from the controller unit. The controller units run off of 12 or 5V DC. They come with bricks that plug into the wall, or you can, in the case of the Guru, use a 12V battery with a cigarette lighter socket on it. I don't remember off hand if you can run the Stoker using a battery.

Also, the Guru Competitor is not waterproof, but Fred described it to me as "remarkably water resistant." I put mine in zip loc bags if its going to rain.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I have both and I believe the DigiQ is resistant to weather somewhat and the Stoker is not. As to the amount of money that I have invested in both units, It's not worth trying to see how much water they can take one. I just put my in plastic containers and be done with it. Rather be safe than sorry.
  • Thanks. I'm going to hold off buying one until I have some more experience with overnight cooks done the old-fashioned way, but this may help me decide which one to get.

It's been raining a lot here in Toronto, you know. :)
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    no need of practice when you got the digiqII.
    all you need to do is enter the pit temp and the meat temp and just sit back and it will let you know when it is ready!!
    as far for weather well here in new brunswick temps get pretty cold or wet.and works just fine here!!
    here is a pic of it in the snow doing its job.

if you need more info on the digi email me and i got plenty stories and pics for ya!!

023.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    WELL PUT!! :laugh: Sort of like my Harley is "water proof" BUT I don't leave it out in the rain if I can help it! ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    That's sort of like saying when traveling from the west coast to the east coast you are not going to fly until you get more experience riding in a covered wagon. :laugh:

I wouldn't either exposed to the rain or snow. At minimum I would use a ziploc bag on either unit.

Even with a powered vent system one needs to load their egg properly and light a good fire.

It doesn't have often but it you happen to get a vertical fire going with the stoker or q2 or just using the vents you can get a vertical burn and run out of fuel. It is less likely to happen with a powered vent system but it can happen.

GG
  • Surely it's more like learning to drive on a manual gearshift before getting an automatic transmission...
  • Do you run that from a battery or the AC adapter?

I would probably want to rig a 12-volt car battery if there was an easy way to hook it up.
  • Grandpas Grub
    LOL...

I have both the DigiQ2 and the Stoker. Before getting them I did a few overnight cooks. Plenty of them turned out great.

I also got up a lot at night and checked the egg. Once I was playing with the vents more than I should have and the fire went out during the night. My only failure.

I then bought a Maverick ET-73, dual probe remote with alarms. Those cooks worked fine the warning went off one time and I had to resolve that problem.

I finally got the q2, more eggs, and a stoker. Now I have nice relaxing sleep. One time the q2alarm went off and I checked the q2, it's alram was also sounding, the pit temp was high. Fixed that and went back to sleep.

I would rather sleep than be concerned about the temps during the night.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    If you want to run of 12v. Pick up a cheap battery booster and power off of that.

They work great. We are going up into the mountains this weekend and that is what I am using.

Saturday Pastrami Burgers and on Sunday Brisket. If the grandkids catch any fish, we will be cooking and smoking some fresh rainbow trout. I doubt there will be anything bigger caught that the mini can't take care of.

GG
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    i run it with the the regular ac outlet.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Grandpa's Grb...that's what I thought when I caught this baby in a lake here in Montana...LOL

BigCat.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    101_0425.jpg

101_0426.jpg

;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• DSCN2301.jpg
    This is how I do it!
    Good Luck,
    Ross
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The DigiQ II's a water resistant, but not water proof. Big difference.

The Stoker is not.

As it has been said every can be made weather resistant.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Blackened Catfish. My heck thats big...

When I was a little kid I remember being up at Bear Lake on the Utah/Idaho border. We used to catch fish with a pitch fork.

I don't even remember what kind of fish it was.

Anyway, To find something that size I would have to do some long traveling and then I wouldn't catch it.

GG
  • Since I'm a gadget freak I went ahead and ordered a DigiQ. Just another excuse to make more pulled pork, not that I need one.