Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!! Is my meat ok?

Options
zrachie
zrachie Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay...put a whole 10lb brisket on this morning at 6am...checked at 9:30 at 275 degrees...11:30ish read 250 but thought nothing of it...no smoke...checked at 2pm fire completely out...could pick everything up with my bare hands including the coals..meat internal temp 115..is my meat salvagable...TIA!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    i would be ok with it if i got the fire back up quickly. 4 hours between 40 and 140 degrees is the rule and it counts your prep time. salt and smoke make it safer longer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I wouldn't take the chance. Toss it. Did you figure out the problem why the fire went out? It was probably out at the 250 reading and just holding heat. How much lump new & old? Air flow?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    has it been in an environment that is warmer than 40 degrees but cooler than 140 four longer than four hours?

if yes, than your meat is outside the "safe" zone.

if 'no', you are fine.

the four hours includes total prep time, thawing, etc.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • zrachie
    Options
    I am not sure that my guage even goes below 250 in the sun...Well...I don't know how long it was...It was fresh from the butcher out of the cryovac...then in the rub overnight, then...not sure how long the fire has been out...the meat is browned, so something had to be happening...my father decided to touch the darn thin and I think he closed the vents too much...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its the time it took to drive from the butcher, the time it was out of the fridge for the rub, and 2.5 hours max on a cold egg all added together. i still believe your safe, internal temp in this situation is not much of a concern, just the time spent in the car, on the counter, and in a cold egg. 4 hours is safe
    fukahwee maine

• zrachie
    Options
    Thanks :) It was about 30min total for the drive and the rub...then maybe 3hrs at most on the cold egg...I feel a bit better because it is a brisket...wouldn't chance it for a chicken...just in case I bought steaks for my kids to eat instead of the brisket :)
  • stike
    Options
    i think he's safe too. but you can only explain things so many times.....
  • zrachie
    Options
    Thanks for all your help...I'll let you know if we all get sick... :sick:
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    Just my two cents, but I would toss it as much I would hate to have to do that. For a twenty brisket its just not worth getting food poisening over.

js
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i just hate seeing people throw away good meat and that rule of thumb just doesnt take into account whats being done in a smoker with smoke and salt rubs, the rule is just too generalized.
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    yeah, well. i have been beating that drum for years and been vilified a number of times for it.

most folks remember the rule, but have no idea where the rule comes from, or that the rule isn't iron clad. even reading the USDA's own site you can see that they make it very clear that it's a generalized rule.

the rule is incredibly contradictory all by itself, but no one questions it. at 138 degrees, bacteria multiply exponentially faster than they do at say 42 degrees.

yet a piece of meat at 138 for four hours is safe to eat under the rule. the same piece of meat at 42 degrees is also safe for that long, but is NOT safe at four hours and five minutes. see where i'm going? that piece of meat at 42 degrees has far less bacteria on it than the one at 138 degrees, yet both are "equally unsafe". at 42 degrees you can go way longer than 4 hours. it's just there's no way in hell the USDA is going to create a complex rule that covers all the iterations. they need something they can apply universally, and slap on a poster in a mcdonald's where some kid in a hair net needs a "safe-serv" certificate.

critical thinking is a rare thing these days.
    hahaha
  • stike
    Options
    why would it be bad? if the answer is "i don't know" then everyone is just guessing. that's a bad habit when food safety is involved.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/meat_quality/spoiled_meat.html
    Here is the way to tell if it is spoiled.
    The old way was if it doesn't stink or feel slimy it is OK.

E
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    So, 42 degrees at 4 hours and 17 minutes = safe to eat; Same time at 138 degrees = not safe. Now I got it!

Wow critical thinking gives me a headache, I am not doing it anymore.

What next cross contamination?
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    The 'general rule' also gives the impression that as long as you keep it below 40 degrees, it will be good indefinitely.

“… Perhaps the worst thing that can happen is to reach into the refrigerator and come out with something that you cannot identify at all. You literally do not know what it is. Could be meat, could be cake. Usually, at a time like that, I'll bluff. "Honey, is this good?"
    "Well, what is it?"
    "I don't know. I've never seen anything like it. It looks like...meatcake!"
    "Well, smell it."
    (snort, sniff) "It has absolutely no smell whatsoever!"
    "It's good! Put it back! Somebody is saving it. It'll turn up in something."
    That’s what frightens me. That someone will consider it a challenge and use it just because it's in there…” Excerpt from -- Ice Box Man – by George Carlin –
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    So, how'd it turn out? Did ya toss it or keep it? Anyone end up in the emergency room? :)
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    As a prior restaurant owner with a spouse that still cooks for the elementary school system (children), I offer the following on the USDA safe food handling guidelines. In restaurant's, the rule better be hard and fast if you want to avoid customer law suits. Foodborne illnesses can happen, but, if they do, you better have been following the rules. Imagine the financial implications associated with having your restaurants name posted in the local newspaper along with the word "food poisoning". The USDA guidelines are a hard and fast rule in any food preparation for children and geriatrics. Most of us would survive a case of food poisoning, but, it is very unpleasant. You do not want to be holding the bag in in food-borne illness issue involving other peoples children. The reality is that the rule is "super safe". I am not going into the details of acidity, dryness, susceptability by food type, etc. There are a myriad of issues that allow us to make judgments in our "home" food that you just can't make when provide food to others. At home, I am most conservative with poultry and fresh seafood, I am conservative with pork, and less conservative with beef. I am most conservative when feeding my grandchildren and their friends, conservative when feeding guests, and less conservative when feeding myself and close friends. (If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for them :) ) Don't want to hijack the question, so, to the brisket, if for me and friends, I would probably run it. If it was for a church social or picnic with kids, I would save this one for my personnal eating and start a new one to "deliver". My 2 cents. thanks rc
  • stike
    Options
    the USDA actually says that, if properly frozen, food products ARE good indefinitely. what comes into play there is whether or not you might want to eat dessicated, freezer-burnt stuff.
    hahaha

but a five year old steak kept properly at appropriate temps IS considered safe by the USDA.

lysteria grows at fridge temps, so if the food has been exposed to it, even being kept sub-40 isn't a guarantee.