Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mama Mary's pizza crust

johnvb
johnvb Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie pizza cooker here, using the 14" stone for my large BGE. I have tried a few store bought frozen pizzas, Mystic, DiGiorno. They turned out edible, but either the crust was too done or the pizzas tasted doughy. The family liked the thin crust versions I made the best, but to me they were way too crispy. So on to the next step...

Tonight going to try some diy pizzas with Mama Mary's pizza dough. So some questions: What temp should I preheat the egg/stone to, and should I use parchment paper underneath? I have a commercial aluminum peel and pan to pull off the pies, is this a good excuse to pick up a wooden one also? :)

Comments

• I use parchment paper. About 450 on the cook. IMO best store bough crust you can get.

you are probably ok on the peel. you just use it to pull off the pie.
  • johnvb
    Thanks. Does the parchment paper assit or effect in the cook at all? I have been using corn meal under the frozen pizzas. Mentioned parchment paper to the wifey, she whined something about it being expensive?
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    My wife didn't say anything about using parchment paper with pizza but she made me switch from EVOO to vegtable oil to light the egg.
  • get a pizza screen & place your dough on that. place the screen on pizza stone / plate setter
    in taht order:
    plate setter feet down
    pizza stone
    screen
    pre-heat your BGE to 450 dome
    bake till cheese starts to brown (approx 20 min)

now make your own dough!
    in food processor 1 cup water + 1 envelope (1/4 oz) yeast + 1 teasp salt + 3to 4(+/-) cups bread flour
    process till ball forms 30seconds
    place in coverd bowl for an hour or so till double.
    remove and form 2 balls
    use aflored surface to hand stretch / form into a disc turning over from time to time
    this should make approx 14" crust each.
    flip over the pizza screen & allow to rise 30 min before topping with sauce / cheese / yummi stuff.

enjoy
  • you can use cornmeal. Basically it keeps from sticking.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    There are hundreds of ways to do pizza. I used to use corn meal, but with the heat of the egg I didn't like the burned bits.

Parchment was a nice change. I put down the parchement then the Moma Mary's crust and built the pizza from there.

I found a lower dome temp allowed the top of the pizza to cook more. I put raw country sausage and italian sausage with tomato and yellow banana peppers on the pie. All came out great and nice crust.

Slid the peel under the parchment and all done.

pizza.jpg

GG
  • I use Mama Mary's all the time.

I put parchment paper on the peel and the pizza crust on it the parchemtn paper. Trim the parchment paper to within a 1" of the crust. Build your pizza. Preheat Egg and stone to 450-500. Slide parchment paper and pizza on the stone and slide off when it's done. Cut the pizza on the peel.

Chicken, Andoille, and oyster gumbo pizza on the peel
    101_1590640x480.jpg

Pulled Pork pizza
    101_2000640x480.jpg

Nuther Za
    IMG_0872800x600.jpg
  • Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    A really good parchment paper should cost about 50 cents for enough for a 14" pizza, That is not so much on a grill that costs what a BGE costs. Plus while I would never reuse paper from one day to the next, I have reused a sheet more than once in an evening if I'm making a punch of pies.
  • johnvb
    Had to work late last night, so the pizzas on for tonight. Love all the inspirational pics!