Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Small Egg" disapointment

Options
CNL
CNL Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my large for 3+ years. I have cooked almost anything and never had a true failure. All my friends and family jump at the chance to come over and get some egged goodies. With that said; My wife gave me a small egg to cmpliment the large for fathers day this year. I thought this would be great but I have a terrible time getting it to temps that suit cooking anything over 350 - 400 degrees. The fire box rocks back and forth and seems small? I am accused of being compulsive. I clean and shop vac both eggs prior to every cook and re assemble to align the vent with the door. The gasket is sealed with minimal leakage. I even sort my charcoal and assemble the fire according to size. I had hoped to do some good high temp stuff with this thing but so far I have pretty much demoted it to baking appetizers and sides. Is there something I'm missing or did I get a lemon? I can make my large get to and stay at most any temp. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have had my small for 2 1/2 years and when I am doing high temp cooks on it 555-600F, I light it in 4-5 spots with MAPP and leave the top off and the bottom wide open. 15-20 minutes later it is roaring.
  • CNL
    Options
    I can get mine to that temp. (550) but it takes an eternity. I do light it with a torch and make sure there is no debris or other blockages. The thing I don't get is that in the time it takes the small to reach 350ish the large would be roaring at 800+ without even trying. I expect there to be some differences but it is pretty drastic. I guess I envisioned the small as a searing machine and it's just not. In hind sight I may have gotten a medium or another large. I went with the small because that is the combination that is raved about.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    you need to touch base with grandpas grub he is having similar problems and doing some investigating and some measuring.. i will send him an e-mail and alert him to your problem
    bill
  • PedroWuzHere
    Options
    My small will also take a bit longer than my large to get up high temps. When I'm in a hurry, I will still light the charcoal with the Mapp torch, but I also use a hair dryer to stoke the fire.
    Don't worry, you didn't make a mistake getting a small. It just doesn't behave like your large. You will figure it out, and realize the value of having both.
    Good Luck
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I wouldn't use 'compulsive'..anal retentive maybe but not compulsive.. :woohoo: ..j/k..really I do clean my small regularly as it does fill up with ash quicker.. as for sears..I sear on mine all the time..but I do it around 600 or so..there really is no need for these 700 plus sears...what you are trying to do is get the surface temp of the meat above 300d where the Maillard reaction can occur and create the wonderful flavors this chemical reaction creates...I don't take any special care about sorting and stacking lump either.. I pour it in str8 out of the bag, stir it around a bit with the ash tool and fire it up with the MAPP torch in 4-5 places when I want to get to high temps...leave the bottom vent wide open and the daisy wheel off..hang in there..the small is a wonderful mate to the large and once you figure out its peculiarities compared to the large you will be glad you have it ;)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Do you have the cast iron charcoal grate or the older ceramic charcoal grate...the CI version allows much better air flow..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Where are you located?

GG
  • ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    I agree that the small is much harder to get up to a higher temp. You actually have to work at it to do it. I think the bottom vent hole needs to be made larger in the future.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    I have a small had the same thing ,then read G Grub deal ,just put a tin foil rope in the gap between the egg wall and the fire ring ,you will have 550-600 in 20 min
    Dave
  • CNL
    Options
    I hear you. That is about how I do it too, but the whole time issue is what is so dissapointing. I guess I just had the pre concieved notion that the small would light fast and burn hot. In reality it will burn hot if you have plenty of time or drag out booster fans. I use it routinely it's just not what I had hoped.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I am really interested in this as I was just about to buy the small also. I like the portable part of the small. Taking it to the lake once a year would be great.
    I will watch this thread with interest.

Rick
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I feel your pain, brother! Less dense charcoal and lighting in several places can help, but, in my humble opinion the draft door on the small is 'too small'! It's the same size as the mini which is a much smaller unit........
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    Plug the gap and you will have a new Unit
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I've had my small for a few weeks now, done about 8-9 cooks on it. It takes a little longer to get up to 400 but I haven't cooked higher that than yet. I ran it to 525 just to see if it would and yes, it could indeed.
    I just sit and have another beer and then it's ready.
  • CNL
    Options
    I have the ceramic grate. I will definately change if that helps.
  • CNL
    Options
    North Georgia.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    CNL,, I have 2 larges and a small is coming soon but I have not tried one yet, aside from watching egret and AZRP and Spring Chicken at Ocala. It's coming soon but if your in Fla. I'd be happy to talk to you about taking it off your hands even though I'll have no warranty. Followed the forum for a bit and I prefer a dealer or demo but would would be glad to assume liability if your that unhappy with it.
    Pat (I can fix it) Poolman
  • CNL
    Options
    I appreciate the offer but I ain't that upset with it. I was honestly hoping I was missing something that could be easily corrected. If it just takes longer then that wil be what it is and I'll only use it when the timing makes sense. Even though it is less than expected it is still a better grill / appliance than anything else I could have dropped 300.00 bucks on.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Absolutely a noticeable difference..Have had my small for many years and have no problems getting to 550 - 600 degrees...
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Keep that and get a set of Gratemates, wrap that sucker in foil and use as a platesetter.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    CNL,

Where are you located.

I have to read you post a couple of times. I thought I wrote it, I even had to go out and see if you stole my small and that is what you were posting about.

My firebox is exactly the same. Either there is a high spot in the base or the fire box has a high spot. The fire ring has some issues.

I bot the large and have been really happy. I have some gasket issues but I am not all convinced it is the egg's fault. Something I am still working on.

Anyway, I was so happy with the large, I got the medium didn't use it much, then bought the small didn't use that very much, then bought the mini and have used the heck out of it. I probably hadn't touched the medium or small for 30 or more days and only cooked on the large once or twice since I got the mini.

I have always had slow starting times with the medium and small and unless I am very careful with cleaning and setting up even after an hour with bottom vent & screen wide open and nothing on the top of the egg couldn't bet much higher than 450° to 550°.

I happen to focus on the medium and have done a lot of testing on that trying to understand what and why.

In one of the tests I burned the gasket and since have ordered new gasket set. So far 3 different dealers have sent me large gasket sets, told me they are the same as the medium gasket sets, which they are not.

I am going to need to go into the large gasket set selling business out here.

Like you for the most part the large will get to any temp in a fairly reasonable time.

I will jump over the the small, here on down...

with the testing I have been doing I have come to realize what performance I think I am getting out of any of my eggs is not exactly the reality fo things.

I began to time the burns and see how high I could get the temps of my eggs. I have only done one or two tests on the small.

it took 30 minutes for the small to get to 350° and at 49 min. the temp maxed out at 550°. Held that temp for another 6 minutes. Absolutely no indication of the temp going higher so I closed down the vents and completed a cook and then shut the small down.

All I can say with regard to the small is that I am in the same boat as you.

I am getting simular results with the medium. I have some theories and some ideas on how to get past this but I want to do so without causing further problems.

One idea was to close off the air flow up and outside the fire box & ring. That gave me a increase in performance but I am thinking that is what caused the gasket to fail. Plugging that gap on the medium also caused enough heat on the outside of the egg to physically burn, not blister, but painful for about 20 minutes. Not something I would want to have going when young kids were around.

There has been some really good suggestions from some forum folk. I just need to get the medium fixed so I can continue with a couple of more tests.

Don't forget to let me know where you are located. I am wondering if some of this is altitude.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Dave,

On the medium, pluging the gap does have some risk. I haven't really tried it with the small.

On the medium plugging the gap possibly was the cause of the gasket failure. There is a possibility of getting burned when touching the outside of the egg with the bap plugged.

Be careful and check things out.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Ric,

Don't let this post stop you from getting a small. It is a great egg.

I think what we are experiencing is something we are doing different than other eggers and we just need to identify what is going or not going on.

If you put up a post 'Do you like your small', you had better plan on a long, long read.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I sure wish I could get these things for the prices you folks are getting them for.

I paid $300 for the mini.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I agree with egret and the others the vents on the small and mini should be bigger.

Now for the cart & horse. My medium is still apart as I am waiting for some parts and a proper size gasket. Three dealers have told me the large is the same as the medium. But we all know better.

I wanted to complete my testing of the medium and move on to the testing of the small so I would have some data to substantiate what I am about say.

I think this will be the same for the medium and small and is somewhat common sense. My tests have been in the medium, clean egg, lump loaded to the top of the fire box. I have kept the larger pieces to the bottom and gone smaller as the fire box is filled. I haven’t used really small lump. Lighting with paper towel/napkin in two spots. Right and left of center.

When doing my tests it takes a relative long time for the medium to reach 500°. When I have looked at the at that point in time it seems to have burned down the fire box about 1/3. The fire box on the medium and small have a taper down to the fire grate. That is les lump surface as the lump is burned and the lump level is lower and further away from the dome thermometer (and cooking grid).

In my case except for a slower ramp up time for normal cooking that is fine. I am thinking normal cooking is between 250° and 425° dome.

As I have said I have not tested this but it sounds logical. Goal is quicker light times and higher temp cooking.
    Change the set up. Clean egg, larger lump on the bottom, load the lump to the mid or top of the fire ring and light with MAPP.

At this point I am not sure using MAPP or napkin/oil is going to be much difference. In theory MAPP should be faster and use less lump to get to the higher temps. If it does test to be faster, then less lump will have been used. Resulting in a higher burn level inside the egg, wider surface of burning lump, lump heat level closer to the thermometer & cooking level and longer cook times.

Some of the answers I do have.

The air going into the lower vent will take the path of least resistance. Some air goes up the outside of the firebox & fire ring. That outside of the fire box air does very little to help build the fire other than insulation to the lower egg shell and possibly a ‘vacuum’ effect for the air that does go into the fire box.

In all these test the orange glowing lump was between 1080° and 1107°.

One test, my medium got to a maximum temp of 520° in 36 minutes. The temp started to decline down to 460° at 67 minutes and held. I opened the dome, with gloves I plugged the gap between the fire ring and outer inner egg wall and closed the dome. At 72 minutes the egg was at 500°. In 8 minutes the dome temp raised 80°. Some will say opening the dome would could have been the result of building the fire.

I decided to test that possibility also. Next test. Gap plugged before lighting. 500° at 21 minutes (15 minutes quicker than above) Max temp an held at 660° in 28 minutes. 200° higher than above and 1 hour and 4 minutes quicker than above.

We all know a hot burning egg will spike in temp when there is flame then as the flame goes out the temp will drop. This next test is interesting.

Nest test, I packed the air gap better.
    500° in 11 minutes
    690° in 15 minutes (I thought flame spike)
    700° in 20 minutes (I was watching for a drop in temp)
    700° holding 25 minutes.
    700° holding 31 minutes – At this point I am getting worried about the gasket and I got burned just under the lower band 459° on the outside of egg
    I shut down all vents at this point.
    At 33 minutes 600° I began to smell the adhesive/gasket burning
    At 40 minutes 530° I opened the dome and gasket was burned, I had posted the pictures last week.
    At 400° I got a putty scraper and cleaned the adhesive/gasket off of both surfaces in about 5 to 8 minutes. I used gloves and it was hot.

I will continue the testing once I get the egg back together – just waiting for the parts.

Anyway that is what I am working on…

GG
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I got my small this time last year to accompany my large and to tailgate.
    I found that it simply wasn't as "easy" as the large. I used it only for about 6 games and wasn't completely thrilled.

That being said, I have made an effort to do more cooks on it and am really growing to love it also. For me it was a matter of "practice".

Hang in there!

Walt
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Probably very good advice Walt...

Thanks, Kent
  • PedroWuzHere
    Options
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I think what many fail to realize is there is a lot of mass that gets heated up initially. During this heating stage the dome temperature remains fairly low. Think about how many hours it takes for the egg to cool down after a cook.

I have a medium and can get to over 700 degrees within 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    We started with a Small. I really like it. We now have a Large too, but it's only used when what I want to cook can't possibly fit on the Small. If I could have only one Egg it would be a Small.

If I don't take some care building the fire the Small maxes out at about 550º. If I clean it out and select the lump - no very small or very large pieces - I can get it up to 575º or 600º but I no longer cook at those temperatures anyway. This is all with both the draft door and the spark screen open, and no top at all. Closing the spark screen or putting on the DFMT even wide open will drop the temperature.

There is a significant gap around the fire ring. A good thing too, because the GrateMates need to fit in there. The gap around the fire box is no larger than on the Large, so I haven't bothered experimenting with a foil ring.

The grate on the Small is significantly closer to the fire than on the Large. By filling the lump halfway up the fire ring and lighting it in 4 or 5 places I can get a really good sear using the cast iron grate with a dome temperature of 450º, which is also the temperature at which I now cook pizza.