Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

direct vs indirect

jonboy
jonboy Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying a pork butt direct cook at 225.
What will be the difference in the final product?
I will guess a darker bark and quicker cook.
Are there any reasons to use a plate setter, drip pan for indirect butts?
Thanks for the help,
jon

Comments

• Hi Jon- I'll start by saying that I have not tried a direct butt cook. Placing a plate setter or drip pan or some other kind of shield between the meat and the fire is what makes it indirect. I use the plate setter legs up, grid on top of the legs, butt on the grid and drip pan on the plate setter, under the butt.
    Check out the Naked Whiz web site and find Elder Wards step by step Pulled Pork directions/ recipe for many details.
    As for what you can expect cooking direct, I would guess some more bark, but certainly some more dried meat near the surface.
    Is this a cook that is going on now? How long has the meat been on? You may consider putting pan or a 4x alum foil pan under the meat, if you need and emergency heat shield of some sort.
    Good luck, and give us some more details if this is an active cook.
    Al
  • Considering I got a 57% yield of final cooked product from 18 lbs of pork butt, that would be a LOT of fat hitting the fire.
  • jonboy
    This is a active cook.
    Temp is 138 degrees.
    Cook is about 3 hours long.
    I direct cooked a beef roast this afternoon. Chuck eye roast. About 6 hours that has a nice bark and good flavor.
    I thought that i would try a pork butt the same way.

I guess a lot of fat is hitting the fire. That will generate a lot of flavor???? And a big mess in the firepit to clean up????
    jon
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    I havent tried a direct cook with a Butt. I would think you might get more bark, but maybe also some dried out meat? My Butts usually take about 12 to 15 hours, thats a long time over direct heat. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

js
  • jonboy
    Dried out meat...that's why they make sauce... :laugh:
    I just checked under the lid and everything looks good.
    jon
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    sauce on moist meat is even better.

Or, save the renderings, make sure they do not scorch and add some back into the meat after pulling.

Take some pictures and let us know how this turns out.

GG
  • jonboy
    DSCN1203.jpg
    DSCN1200.jpg
    I took the butt off this morning at 200 degrees or about 10 hours. I rested the butt for 2 hours and pulled.
    This is my first butt on the egg so i dont have anything to compare too. Butt is juicy with good bark.
    The butt is much better than any i have made on the electric smoker. Family gives butt a thumbs up. ;)
    The egg was rather messy with fat drippings all over the grate. :blink:
    Quick question...cast iron grate, should the grill have flat side up or down? My dealer said flat down but this held alot of extra fat buildup. I may have it upside down.
    I guess that my next butt will cook indirect so i have something to compare too.
    I am pretty happy with the results.
    Any suggestions???
    jonboy