Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Party for the Large Egg

Soccer Guy
Soccer Guy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On the 13th I will have a party at my house for about 30 Adults and 20 Children, eating around 2:00 pm. I am doing Pulled Pork and Brisket, while some others will bring chicken, here are my questions.[p]1) How much Pork and Brisket will I need? Pounds per person?
2) Will the Large Egg handle this amount of meat? How to config the Egg?
3) With this amount will it take longer than 2hrs per pound to complete?
4) Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Soccer Guy, This is a rough guide. A starting point anyway.Hope this helps.
    Painter

[ul][li]Party Time[/ul]
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    bnb.jpg
    <p />Soccer Guy,[p]I figure a 1/2 lb pre cooked weight per sandwich which gives you about 1/4 lb of finished meat per sandwich. Then I figure out how many sandwiches I need. Usually I figure two per man and 1 for each woman or kid. The photo is of two 8lb butts and a 14 lb brisket, at the same time on my other large I had 3 8 lb butts going. I fed 75 hungry adults and had some leftovers. The cook took 20 hours, the butts where at 200* internal and the brisket was at 190. Good luck with your cook and let us know how it turns out.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    bigcook2.jpg
    <p />20 hours later ......

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Chuck,
    Your brisket looks great!What did you prep it with?
    Thanks

• Chuck
    Jim R,[p]It's just rubbed with Chipotle Big Bubbas Rubba. The butts have mustard on them not the brisket. It was a whole, untrimmed brisket and was the best I had ever done. It had lots of fat to keep it moist, (all that pork fat dripping on it didn't hurt either) and I think I'll always do whole ones in the future. Have a great night.[p]Chuck <><

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    ChuckO, nice yard, where do you live?[p]Mop[p]
  • Chuck
    lake1.jpg
    <p />Mop,[p]I live about 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia in Medford, NJ. I love it here, it's close to everything but still out in the middle of the woods on a little lake. Nice and quiet and the view at night isn't too bad either. I've been working up your way recently setting up a distribution center in Mississauga. Nice place but way too much building going on, it's wall to wall houses. [p]Have a great day.[p]Chuck <><
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Chuck,
    Where did you get that raised grid. It looks like it is hinged.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Chuck, It looks nice..[p]Yeah, Missisauga is not a favorite place of mine, its a mini Toronto..lots to see and do but crowded..[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Chuck,
    I remember you posted that picture awhile back and it inspired me to do the same thing. 2 butts and 1 brisket all in one cook. It turned out great. Thanks for the idea. [p]Couple of questions:[p]I used one of those cheap aluminum pizza pans for a drip pan because it covers almost the entire plate setter but the drippings overflowed. What kind of drip pan do you use?[p]I've been kicking around the idea of doing 4 butts at once, using the extended grid. Will the grid be high enough to have enough room under it for 2 of the butts?

• Chuck
    WudEyeDoo,[p]I use a disposable aluminum pan that is bout 3" deep to start and I guess 9 X 13 or so. I then bend it and twist it to cover as much of the plate setter as possible. I would love to find something else but for now it works for me.[p]I have done 2 butts under the raised grid with one on top so I think you are good to go with 4 butts. Have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    MAC,[p]I got mine at my local BGE dealer. It is a BGE product. I have that on and one that isn't hinged and I think they may only make the hinged one now. Both are nice. Check with your dealer or call BGE direct.[p]Chuck <><