Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Questions...

Options
Skids
Skids Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, today I became an EggHead. I picked up my new Large Egg. I'm chomping at the bit to fire that bad boy up, but I must make a run to the grocery first.

I will need a lot of advice as the days pass, but for now I have two questions:

When do you put the legs up and when do you put the legs down on the plate setter?

My Egg is in its nest but I don't have a cover. I was thinking about passing on a cover because so many covers on my former propane grills didn't last more than two seasons (cracked, split, etc) even when I spent money for the "top of the line" covers. Should I buy the Egg cover or is there a better/stronger/more durable alternative?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Legs up for pretty much everything except baking. I put legs down when I use the pizza stone, but some people do that legs up as well. Put your drip pan on the plate setter, then the grid above. There is no wrong way - do what works for you.

The BGE cover is pretty good quality. I had one for a few years before I built my table and it stayed in good shape. Faded a bit, but no cracking or major issues.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Eggs don't need no stikin cover! They just smile if it is a raining, snowin, hellin, 1,000 degrees & say Let's get a grilling, smoking ! Get yourself a cover! :laugh:
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Where are my manners?
    WELCOME!!!!! Look forward to meeting you! Where are you?
    Susan
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey Skids,

Congrats, and welcome to the EggNation! I've found that the little cheapie cover for the weber kettle fits right over the egg in a nest. I don't have egg mates on that particular cooker, either.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The legs on mine are always up unless I am doing a pizza. That way a drip pan can sit in the space created between the legs (or foil)

As for the cover, my eggs stay in the garage when not in use. Can't help there, but you should be OK without the cover.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Skids:

Welcome to the cult :whistle:

Platesetter leg direction depends on what is being cooked. If you need a drip pan, then legs up. If baking (bread, pizza, etc.), then probably legs down.

Don't have a cover for my eggs (see link below) and they have been outside now for more than a year. Prior to that they were in a screen room with a roof. They don't look any worse for being uncovered that I can tell. If you use the Egg(s) as often as I do, then it would be more trouble than it is worth to put on & take off a cover.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Skids
    Options
    I'm in Northern Virginia, Fairfax County. Thanks for the welcome and kindness. I can't remember when I've been so well received by folks I never met. You're all a bunch of warm folks. I think the cost of the Egg was worth it if for no other reason than you people.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Mornin!
    I am to not far from you, Floyd Co. Va. Now what you going to cook? Make plans to go to Eggtoberfest!
  • Skids
    Options
    I thought I would do the ribs first. I was advised that I should do 8-10 slow cooks so I don't melt the seal (curing the seal, I think was the phrase). I also bought a whole chicken which I think will be the second cook. I have a pizza stone that will sit on my plate setter so I guess that might be my third cook. But I must admit, I aching to get my ribeyes on the grill. I'll try and be patient.
    Skids