Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

does lump absorb odors?

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently had to go out of town for an emergency and only had a few hours to pack. On my way out the door I remembered two bags of trash which needed taken to the dump but my cans were full and the dump was closed, so I stashed them in a small outdoor wood shed to keep the critters away from them. I just got back and opened the shed which of course smells really ripe, then I remembered that this was my lump-storage shed too! I have about a dozen bags of WGC in there stacked about 1' away from the trash bags. So I removed the trash bags and left the shed open tonight to air out, but now I am wondering if the lump will have absorbed the funky trash odors. I am hoping it will be ok since the lump bags were unopened and not touching the trash, but I think charcoal is supposed to absorb odors so I am worried...

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I think that because the bags were unopened, you'll be fine. Even still, IMO, even if some of the stink were to permiate the lump, it would be burned off during the first part of the burn when you get rid of all of the VOCs. It would have to share a lot of time with something that stinks for there to be any noticable trouble. I think you are golden.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Lump will not absorb odors. Activated Charcoal will. If you need to clear out the shed. Start some type of cross ventilation with a fan. Or you can purchase some of the activated charcoal A/C filters and lay them out in there. You can find these in the big box stores near the other AC filters.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hmm...I think that it's the activated charcoal that works for the odor-absorbing jobs, maybe not some Competition Blend. It may be best to send some to The Whiz himself to do a proper evaluation of that lump...;)
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    i think you need to immeditely send all dozen bags to me here for proper disposal.....
    no cost for that service you just pay the shipping...
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    HHMMM...... If i remember correctly, and some one correct me if I am wrong.... :whistle: Wasn't it our "whiz" that had a "friend" :unsure: that put something in his, I mean their frig that make a horrible stink????? :S Now I would have thought he would have used all the lump at his disposal or I mean gave some to his FRIEND to help air out his frig??? :evil:
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Ok, sounds like my lump will be safe. The shed is aired out now so the only other worry I have is finding some roaches, spiders, or other nasty critters crawling around between the lump bags. I sure would hate to smoke my next salmon with roach chips... :sick:

I wonder what the difference is between activated charcoal and ordinary lump charcoal?