Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello All.....

Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
....I'm back online after moving into our new place.[p]Any way, to make this post legal, We're having friends over for dinner tommorow and I will be doing chops. I have this irresistable urge to brine the chops tonight(I don't know why since I have never brined anything before). My question is: Should I grill the brined chops any differently than I normally do? (450-500). Is brining worth the effort for chops?[p]Great to be back on the forum.[p]Carl T[p]

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Carl T,[p]Brine 'em and cook 'em like you always do. The leaner the chop them more they will benefit from the brine. 1/2 cup kosher salt / 1/2 cup sugar / quart water Let 'em brine for about 30 minutes to an hour. I brine all the chops I do, lean or fat just because I like the insurance the brine gives on overcooking.[p]HTH![p]Ashley
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Carl T, like Zip said. Cook them like normal. If the brining doe sits job, they should be more moist. Here's one recipe fro brined chops.

[ul][li]Brined Chops[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Carl T,
    If you have lean lon chops it is worth it to brine them. Cook them the same way, and don't use salt in the rub. Here is something I posted a while ago:[p]I did some thick loin chops last night...the kind with very little fat that often comes out like cardboard if even slightly overcooked. A brine works great for these, and I have been using Spice Cooks "Thick Grilled Pork Chop" recipe. Yesterday I wanted to try something new with the brine, and the results were fab.[p]1 cup water
    1 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 chopped stalk lemongrass
    6 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    2 tbs pepper[p]I boiled the mixture to infuse the flavors, and chilled with Mike O's ice-in-a-ziplock technique. Brined the chops in a ziplock for 4 hours, then rinsed, patted dry, and coated with pepper/corriander/sage/onion powder (don't use any salt), and a layer of yellow mustard. Grilled them like steaks, and dwelled to an internal temp of 145-150.[p]They were juicy and the flavor was awesome all the way through.[p]Next time you have those super lean loin chops, give it a try. I think an overnight brine with the same mix would be good on a whole loin.[p]just some friday thoughts. Have a great one!
    NB [p]If you don;t have access to fresh lemongrass, put a lemon or two worth of zest in there.[p]HTH
    Chris[p][p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wise One,
    Wow. We all posted within moments of each other! The vanilla sounds intrgung!! My spice people sell a vanilla powder. I can't help but think it would be KILLER in a rub.[p]Beers to you. Wish I could make the Toberfest and meet up with yo bad self.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ