Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12 racks of ribs on XL-BGE

Options
JB
JB Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all!

I'm cooking 12 racks of ribs on the BGE today, and thought I would go with Pecan Rub and Pecan Chunks, maybe with a sprinkle of hickory chips to try something different.

Has anyone had success using the pecan rub and chunks for ribs? Also, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to fit 12 racks on the grill. The instructions say it holds up to 15 racks vertically, but I really don't see how that's possible without stacking them somehow. I have a V-rack, and another basic rib holder, and thought I would use those 2, and then drape the remaining racks on top.

Suggestions/thoughts? I assume 12 racks will take longer, and will need more like a 4/1/1 at 250 degrees...

JB

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    If you have another grid you could place that on top of the first 6-7 slabs.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I've done pecan rub with cherry and hickory and it was great. I've never had any pecan wood so can't help you there.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I do the pecan rub with pecan chunks. If I add any other wood it is typically fruit wood like cherry or apple. If you use hickory it will mostly mask any flavors from the pecan.

Can't help you with the XL spacing, but the cook shouldn't take much longer unless the ribs are stacked or laying across one another.
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    I saw somewhere where the person rolled up the individual racks of ribs and tied with string and cooked on end.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. In the end, I used a V-rack and another rib rack butted up against each other, and I was able to put 10 racks vertically on those. The remaining 2 I laid on top of the other 10. I didn't take a picture, but should have.

I did use the Pecan Rub, and also ended up using Pecan and hickory. Next time, I will stay with a fruit wood when mixing with Pecan, but after using the 4/1/1 method, they were heralded as some of the best ribs ever tasted by my friends, who've had mine before and loved them.

I've had the egg now for about 2 months, so I must be doing something right! Viva BGE!

JB