Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inaugural Cook this weekend

Options
Egg-on-Medford
Egg-on-Medford Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I don't know if it's smart, but my son (just home from camp) has requested that we do pulled pork on our new (medium) BGE for our first cook.

My wife went to the local meat shop and got a 5.2 lb pork shoulder (trimmed and tied). Or, as one member here might say, she translocated herself in the 4 wheeled transporter to the local purveyor of animal carcasses fit for human consumption and procured the upper portion of the forward extremity of a swine. Don't worry, I won't be posting like this again.

Any hints, links, encouragement would be appreciated. Obviously, I'll be doing some searching, too.

We're planning on doing it for dinner Sunday. I have the Maverick 73 remote smoker thermometer, so that's available if need be.

I'm charging up the camera batteries, too, just in case it comes out looking good. If it does, hopefully the taste will follow.

Comments

• Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    I just did the inaugural cook on our first BGE a new Mini. It was so easy! Listen to the forum experts and you will not go wrong. You have the right grill. Good luck.
  • obstructionist
    Options
    I'm doing exactly the same this weekend -- although this will be cook #6 for me. Already tried chicken, steak, burgers and ribs (twice).

I already loaded the egg with lump according to the Naked Whiz's instructions. Going to pick up the pork tomorrow morning then cook overnight.

It's supposed to rain here all weekend, I hope that won't be a problem.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    This should contain everything you need to know to produce some good eats.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    Thanks for the link.
    Questions that have arisen:

Why is the on/off switch of the Maverick transmitter on the inside of the battery case???

Am I destined to start the cook at 3 am to eat Sunday at 6 pm, assuming 3 hours per pound?

I was gonna shoot for dome temp of 250.
    It's done at around 190 internal temp, right?

What are thoughts on re-heating the meat, say if I started it Saturday night and finished it Sunday morning?

I'm mad I dind't buy the sauce I liked at Blue Smoke in NYC when I was there a couple of weeks ago.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have only done this twice and both were a great success.
    I got the egg all set up and lit around 8:00 pm Friday night put the meat on at 9:00 pm and they were done around 2:00 Saturday afternoon.
    I went indrect with a drip pan each cook, with the last cook the drppings burned a little and I could taste it but no one else could. I think the temp spiked during the night and that is what burnt the drippings.
    I plan on keeping some water in the pan next time.
    I dont have a maverick so can't help with that.
    I take what is left over vacume seal, freeze and reheat when we want some.
    I slowly reheat in a pan with some classic coke, only coke will do no diet. Sauce when nice and hot and enjoy.
    I also spend the night on the couch watching tv, checking on the Forum, sleeping, checking the egg.
    Be sure and check out the Naked Whiz as stated earlier it is a great source of info.
    Hope this helps Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    That is great, and good luck. It will be great pork. Make sure to turn the Maverick remote on before the transmitter, its kinda touchy about that. Cook until desired internal temp(195-200), not just by time and egg temp.
    Good Luck, and enjoy.

RB
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I think the switch is on the inside to protect it from weather.

I would start my egg about 3-4 this evening. Put the Butt on around 6-7. If it finishes about 1-2 tomorrow afternoon you will be in good shape for a 4-5 PM dinner. Heck you'd be good for a 7-8 PM dinner. Wrap the butss in foil and store them in your micro or oven. Just don't turn it on.

If it finishes at 8-9AM tomorrow morning, then double wrap it in foil. Put it in an Igloo lined with old towels or newspaper. Try to insulate it the best you can. Others have had butts stay this way for over 8 hours while still remaining in the safe zone.

If you need to reheat after pulling. Use a crock pot along with some regular Coke. If it is already sauced then add a little thinned sauce to the pot to help with moisture loss.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Get the egg set near 250-260 and remember it will find a steady temp and run a long time. A butt will be fine, just don't go crazy adjusting to hit a specific temp this time. Let the egg roll in a certain 10-15* range and it will be smooth.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I would take the butt off the egg closer to 200*. remember you can hold it wrapped in foil in a cooler for a few hours safely. Leave yourself enough time to get the cook done. You don't want to be rushed for time at the end and tyr to bump the temp to speed things up
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    yeah, I may be sleeping on the couch in the den off the patio tonight for temp checks.
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    Thanks. I noticed that in the instruction. Lots to set. Upper/lower smoker temp, meat temp. I hope it all works.
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    Thanks. That's all some excellent advice. Sounds like that you guys are saying to get the egg stabilized for a couple of hours at 250* or so. I'm gonna start it this evening and try to get the butt on around 11pm--we're going out for dinner, so I can't do it earlier. That should be ready around dinner tomorrow.

How should I run the Maverick probe out of the egg? I've seen some pics with it wrapped in foil or can I just gently close the lid on it?

I guess alternatively, I could keep the dome temp steady and check the internal temp of the butt tomorrow afternoon, but that would require opening the egg--I may want a photo anyway, but how much of a no-no is opening the egg during a long cook?

Again, thanks for the help. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm getting anxious to do ribs and a brisket--lofty goals, I know.
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    Well, the night didn't go as planned. Restaurant seated us late and we stopped at a friend's house after, so I got home around 11. Had a good filet at Ruths Chris.

Immediately loaded up the egg w/ charcoal and lit it. Didn't get a good even light with some veg oil soaked paper towels. Was watching the *C scale instead of *F until my wife pointed that out. Was up to 400*F, so I closed the covers and brought the temp down to 250. Rubbed the pork w/ some Charcrust. Checked the BGE and it was holding at 250--I was thrilled with my lucky guess of the covers--I went with what I read that a quarter inch or so was enough. Put the pork on over the plate setter with a drip pan. It's been 20 minutes and it's still at 250. After 1am, I'm gonna snooze on the couch in the den and then I'm gonna wake up at 3am to check the temp. I figure I won't put the thermometer in until tomorrow; I'm just gonna keep the BGE at 250 and have faith. Photos to follow, if all goes well. Again, thanks to everyone for their advice and encouragement.