Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what's the best lighting method?

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new egg owner and I've had poor luck attempting to light my lump with a wad of newspaper below the charcoal. I just resort to my chimney. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    chuck, either a little firecube in with the coals or a mapp ignitor, either one leaves no mess.
    Paper makes a hell heck of a mess, especially if the winds blowing.
    I used to use a chimney with newspaper, whatta mess
    [/b]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    chuck,
    I have never used newspaper, but I imagine it can be quite messy and slow. We like to use MAPP gas. It lights fast and is clean. We have also used starter cubes. They worked okay, but took a little longer than the MAPP.[p]~nikki

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    chuck,[p]Although apparently I am in the minority I have had great success lighting from under the ash grate. As was already said get rid of the newspaper and get some fire starters (or a mapp torch). I use the ones that are made of compressed wood in the shape of half a ball. Using this method always gets me a quick start and good cooks at high or low temps. Good luck and have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• The Other Dave
    Options
    chuck, I fill a lighting chimney with lump and set that on my cajun cooker burner. Lights quickly, then I turn off the flame and let the coals turn red almost to the top and dump them into the egg. If more lump is needed, I just pour them on top off the coals. This method is very quick and produces little smoke (unless you dump alot of lump on the coals, then it will smoke quite a bit.)

• FlaBQ
    FlaBQ Posts: 12
    Options
    chuck,
    I'm probably in the minority here, but my favorite lighting method is the BGE electric starter. I've used the parafin cubes, compressed sawdust starters and propane torch (propane--haven't tried MAPP yet). I find that the electric starter gives the most consistent and the quickest starts. The parafin cubes are a close second. The only drawback to the electric starter is the need for an outlet and an extension cord close by your Egg. I've got both, so it works out well.
    Cheers,
    Chris

• chuck,[p]Gel starter, I can be cooking at 300 deg in 15 min.[p]EMO
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    chuck,
    I prefer the chimney w/ newspaper. I can get a roaring fire in the chimney within 15-20 minutes. I've not tried the MAPP gas or lighting from under the gride plate. So many options so little time.

• Where can you purchase a mapp ignitor?
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    dgoat,
    Lowes,Home Depot or any good hardware store,it's about $39.The refill is about $8 and last over a year using 3 or 4 nights a week.I hold mine in the middle of the lump for 15 seconds and in a few minutes i'm ready to cook.
    Larry

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    chuck,
    Here is the way I do it. Check out the link.

[ul][li]Ravnhaus firestick[/ul]
  • roux3378
    Options
    I saw a video using rebbing alcohol looked real fast but may not be the safets way